Thread: Trade Kerfuffle

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Trade Kerfuffle

I am in an 8 team league with a 2 day veto period for trades. There are 4 teams going back and forth for first place. One of those teams was involved in a 6 player trade with the last place team. Pacioretty was one of the players he got. Nylander was one of the players he gave up. Pacioretty goes on DTD before the two day grace period is over. The GM pleads with everyone to veto the trade since he now deems the trade unfair. The trade goes through. Fast forward a few days and Pacioretty goes down for the year. A new trade. He gets back Nylander and N. Backstrom for Couture and Nelson. Should the first trade have gone through even though Pacioretty got hurt before the veto period was complete and would you vote no on the second trade.

8 Team No Keeps Single Season Total Points

Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(2), A(1) PPG(+1), PPA(+1), SHg(+ 2), Hits(0.1), BLK(0.25)
    GOALIE: W(2), Saves(0.05), SO(3)
    Positions – 9F, 6D, 2G, 8 bench 2IR+ 1 NA
    F Kaprizov, B. Tkachuk, Fiala, Laine, Gaudreau, Kyrou, Nichuskin, Ehlers, Scheifele, Steel, Thomas, Suzuki, Bratt, Rust, Keller, Schmaltz, Hertl,
    D – Nurse, Dobson, Chycryn, Gostisbehere, Xhekaj
    G – Hellebuyk, Thompson, Luukkonen
    IR+ Makar, Landeskog

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Trade Kerfuffle

IMO I don't think either of the trades should be vetoed. I have a very high threshold for vetoing.

Dobber Sports Star

I pretty firmly believe that the single only reason a trade should be vetoed, is because of collusion. Bad trades happen in real life and should be allowed. Injuries happen.

Rylant

The Great One

Yea the first one should not have been vetped- and on top of that he traded for pacioretty for shit sakes! You can't trade for patches and then act shocked when hes injured lol! The second one is not close to a veto either.

I also have a low tolerance for vetoes for many reasons. Sometimes you send an offer and a team goes no thats a bad offer and its mostly cause its an asset they're asleep on. Not always but a decent chunk of time thats the case and the same goes for vetoes. You might feel in your gutits a veto and then half a season later or a season later you're going "well dang- that trade wasn't so bad after all!" And you've basically muddled for the sake of meddling

Even worse- if you allow "strategic vetoing" you can't be upset when people veto strategically lol! What do I mean by that? I was in year 2 of a yearly work pool where we draft teams from scratch every year. I was the new guy and I won pretty handily in year one. These guys are all poker players and sports bettors so there was pride on the line and they didn't lime that I had won lol! So all year I had trouble finding trades which was bad enough- because they were the bosses and they specifically said "be extra careful when you make a deal with this guy. Hes nice and friendly and seems reasonable but he's a shark". It was a compliment but it really did suck lol! So then I finally talk to a driver for the store whose in the pool and hes one of the bosses brother in law so hes not worried about retribution. We start by just casually talking about the draft and our teams and then eventually he brings up how a guy I had liked of his is really doing nothing. It started as just BSing but eventually I made him a pitch for the struggling star and he accepted and said if they (the bosses) didn't like it then thats their issue lol! So now therei am all proud of myself that I finally manages to find a trade- and keep in mind I didn't KNOW the star would stop struggling- i just figured he could and if he did i come out pretty well ahead. I never got the chance to see if my gambit paid off because the league vetoed it. Crestfallen I asked them what was wrong with it? Did they not like the player I sent? How could they be so sure star player x would bounce back. They said no- they didn't consider any of that- they just knew I was a winning gm and they decided that vetting any trade I made was a strategic victory. Id never even heard of that. I was so choked. The thing is on these boards and when I calmed down I agreed- people said the problem is that its in the rules and the reality is that if its on the rules and you can use it to make you're team better and you're not- that you're not using every team to make your team better and not only should that be allowed it should be expected and even encouraged.

I've never joined a league with a trade veto vote again. Its waaaaaaay too exploitable. I really enjoy making trades in fantasy and it takes a lot of work to come up with kne thats a win win. If a team just skips all that cause they're not as committed to improving or lack the skill to identify those opportunities ities- they just veto everything and the playing field is leveled. Skill, negotiation, and dynamic asset valuatuation all get crushed by constant strategic vetoes. Its a very poor rule imho. You literally encourage people bot to discuss trades and thats a clear loss from my perspective...

Dobber Sports Deity

First off, welcome to the forums.

Injuries can happen at any time to any player. It's a crappy situation on that first one but it is what it is. You can't veto trades based on buyer remorse.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Trade Etiquette

Currently there are 4 teams hovering at the top. One of the teams was involved in a trade with the last place team. There were 6 players involved but the three main players were Zegras, Pacioretty and Nylander. The trade was made the day before Patches went on DTD. There is a 2 day grace period for teams to vote. The (not the last place team) team receiving Pacioretty and Zegras wanted the trade vetoed as he deemed it no longer fair. Pacioretty was only DTD at the time, his season was not over. The trade went through. He got 3 or 4 votes and needed 5 to veto. Fast forward a few days and the same two teams negotiate a trade in which Nylander goes back to his original team along with Nicklas Backstrom in exchange for Nelson and Couture. Naturally this caused all kinds of chaos. The trade was vetoed when the two teams that made the trade voted against it. At that point there were 5 no votes. Should the first trade have been vetoed? How about the second one?

8 Team Cash League No Keeps Single Season Total Points
    Monthly and Yearly payouts for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd

Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(2), A(1) PPG(addt'l 1), PPA(addt'l 1), SHg(addt'l 2), Hits(0.1), BLK(0..25)
    GOALIE: W(2), Saves(0.05), SO(3)
    Positions – 9F, 6D, 2G, 8 bench 2IR+ 1 NA
    F Kaprizov, B. Tkachuk, Fiala, Laine, Gaudreau, Kyrou, Nichuskin, Ehlers, Scheifele, Steel, Thomas, Suzuki, Bratt, Rust, Keller, Schmaltz, Hertl,
    D – Nurse, Dobson, Chycryn, Gostisbehere, Xhekaj
    G – Hellebuyk, Thompson, Luukkonen
    IR+ Makar, Landeskog

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Trade Etiquette

Why did you post this again?

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Trade Etiquette

Soooo the second trade was vetoed by both trading partners??amazing.

I’ve traded players and traded for them many times. No veto required there.

The first trade was made and agreed to prior to any injury. Bad luck. No veto.

I hate vetos
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Newbie

Sorry didn't mean to post twice. I didn't realize the post I started yesterday went through.