Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Provorov won't support Gay Pride

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Provorov won't support Gay Pride

14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar//Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov/DeSmith

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    He doesn't have to be out there with signs. He makes his stance on this extremely clear without doing so. Those who, through no choice of their own, have a sexual orientation that does not align with his own preferences, are not to be supported. He is loud and clear in his stance here and is getting rightly called out for it.
    Could not agree more. I personally think that God does not exist, but I firmly believe that religious people should be respected and treated well. I believe that they should have equal rights to anybody else. Even though I think they are wrong, I would have no problem wearing a shirt proclaiming that religious people should be supported and respected. And I would hate to see anybody who was religious treated like garbage because of their faith, despite the fact that I disagree with them.

Do gay people not deserve respect or rights? If somebody who is religious wears a shirt supporting the LGBT community, do they immediately burst into flames and condemn themselves to an eternity of hell? Can a religious person not support treating somebody who is gay with respect and dignity? Everyone is a sinner, right?

Rylant

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Do gay people not deserve respect or rights? If somebody who is religious wears a shirt supporting the LGBT community, do they immediately burst into flames and condemn themselves to an eternity of hell? Can a religious person not support treating somebody who is gay with respect and dignity? Everyone is a sinner, right?
    Rylant
    I'm a picker
    I'm a grinner
    I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
    I play my music in the sun
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Veteran

He doesn't have to be out there with signs. He makes his stance on this extremely clear without doing so. Those who, through no choice of their own, have a sexual orientation that does not align with his own preferences, are not to be supported. He is loud and clear in his stance here and is getting rightly called out for it.
    You're right again, he's made his stance extremely clear. He respects them, but he's not going to actively support them.

People can respect a police officer without actively participating in a Blue Lives Matter rally. That same person can respect the black community without actively participating in a BLM march.

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Could not agree more. I personally think that God does not exist, but I firmly believe that religious people should be respected and treated well. I believe that they should have equal rights to anybody else. Even though I think they are wrong, I would have no problem wearing a shirt proclaiming that religious people should be supported and respected. And I would hate to see anybody who was religious treated like garbage because of their faith, despite the fact that I disagree with them.

Rylant
    Still unsure of where Provorov said gay people don't deserve respect or rights.

Forcing someone to wear something they don't want to is impeding on their rights, regardless of the positive intentions behind it... I'm sure if you ask a Leafs fan if they would burst into flames if they wore a Canadiens jersey they'd tell you yes

Dobber Sports Genius

Saying he should rightfully be called out for not wearing a pride jersey is such a childish statement. The NHL and John Tortorella were surprisingly the adults here saying it's the players choice. I think a few others pointed it out, how would you like it if you were suddenly told you had to support X cause or be suspended from work? Is this really the path we want to go down as a society? I know Provorov didn't get suspended but their are plenty out there that are blasting Philly for not sitting him.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    You're right again, he's made his stance extremely clear. He respects them, but he's not going to actively support them.

People can respect a police officer without actively participating in a Blue Lives Matter rally. That same person can respect the black community without actively participating in a BLM march.

Still unsure of where Provorov said gay people don't deserve respect or rights.

Forcing someone to wear something they don't want to is impeding on their rights, regardless of the positive intentions behind it... I'm sure if you ask a Leafs fan if they would burst into flames if they wore a Canadiens jersey they'd tell you yes
    That's certainly an interesting level of naivete.

Dobber Sports Veteran

No one knew his stance until he was forced to share it. Not his fault. Sorry.

And where does it say in the world rule book that if I dont support something Im automatically against it?

Not directed at dulous -> Look at all these people judging someone based on one single incident rather than the sum of their work. You are all shitty people, sorry, its true. Now how does it feel to be entirely judged by one single statement you've made on this forum? Judging judging judging. And on something that isnt even about you. You all need to get a life, worry about improving yourself because you clearly aren't perfect, and stop looking over the fence at what others are doing to make yourself feel better about you.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    No one knew his stance until he was forced to share it. Not his fault. Sorry.

And where does it say in the world rule book that if I dont support something Im automatically against it?

Not directed at dulous -> Look at all these people judging someone based on one single incident rather than the sum of their work. You are all shitty people, sorry, its true. Now how does it feel to be entirely judged by one single statement you've made on this forum? Judging judging judging. And on something that isnt even about you. You all need to get a life, worry about improving yourself because you clearly aren't perfect, and stop looking over the fence at what others are doing to make yourself feel better about you.
    Bang on. Look at this statement from the COO of You can play ""The Flyers have been among the first and most consistent teams in sports supporting LGBTQ+ inclusion," Kitts said. "There is still work to be done to change hearts and minds and the You Can Play Team looks forward to continuing our efforts."

Said You Can Play chief operating officer Kurt Weaver: "Let's say it's 20 years ago, I think we have at that point maybe three people who would wear Pride jerseys. So now we're going to have 19 of 20 wearing them. [That's] a huge amount of progress. I think for us to expect every player, every time, to do this is probably unrealistic."

If the top of organization is not concerned about it and see's it as progress than why are everyone in media and otherwise freaking out? It's clearly a bunch of sad individuals that don't have enough in their life going on and need attention from somewhere, or in the case of the media just virtue signaling for their own brand.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    Your comment is the exact problem with why the NHL or Philly shouldn't do this. Now he's a "s*tty person"? Why because he was brought up a certain way and certain beliefs no matter how outdated you think they are? It's not like he's advocating for hate crimes by not wearing a rainbow jersey.
    Yes. Have S*itty opinions, then you're a s*itty person. That's how it works. You don't have to think so, but free speech works both ways. He's allowed to have those opinions, and people are allowed to call him s*itty.
    The Orthodox Church is notorious for its views on hate crimes. Hate crimes don't get punished there - it's allowed. Putin has given the Church substantially more power than his predecessors.
    He could not have talked about it as well. Washington has had pride nights, and I have no idea what Ovechkin did. He's problematic, as all Putin supporter are, but he doesn't distract from the team.
    H2H CONTRACT
    C - Larkin 1, MacKinnon 1, Hischier 2
    W- Pastranak 1, Kreider1, Benn 1, Schmaltz 1,Teravinen 2, Skinner1, T. Moore [color=red]2[/color
    D - Toews 2, DeAngelo 3, Faulk 2, Morrissey 1Spence 4, Marino 1, Mike Reilly 1
    G- Hill 1Jarry 3Vanecek 4
    MINORS- Slafkovsky, Wallstedt, Gauthier, O. Moore

SKATER +-/G/A/SOG/blocks
    GOALIE GAA/W/S

Playing roster: 2C,3W,1F,4D,1G

* length of contract

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    The NHL and John Tortorella were surprisingly the adults here saying it's the players choice.
    No question, Tortorella came out of this looking calm and poised. Let's also not forget, that Tortorella also happens to share Provorov's beliefs 100 percent on homosexuality. It's easy to say "I support his decision 100 percent and I admire him for standing up for what he believes in and staying true to himself. And no, he absolutely will not be benched for this at all", when you happen to agree with him. Remember, Tortorella was also the guy who threatened to bench any of his players who refused to stand for the National Anthem. That respect for standing up for what you believe in should swing both ways. It's easy to respect somebody for standing up for their beliefs, when you happen to agree with them. It's much more difficult to respect somebody for standing up for their beliefs when those beliefs are directly opposed to what you believe. Since the recent Provorov incident, Tortorella was called out on his hypocrisy and has walked back his stance on the Anthem, but still...

Rylant

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    A co-worker asked me this question.

If your employer came to you and asked you (being a male) to wear makeup and a dress because it's National Womens Day and you disagree, are you in the wrong? LOL!
    Not a fair comparison. No one asked him to come out and act gay - he was being asked to support a team initiative. It's more like if everyone at your work was wearing a shirt that says "I respect women", and you choose not to because you don't.
    H2H CONTRACT
    W- Pastranak 1, Kreider1, Benn 1, Schmaltz 1,Teravinen 2, Skinner1, T. Moore [color=red]2[/color

SKATER +-/G/A/SOG/blocks
    GOALIE GAA/W/S

* length of contract

Quote Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
    It's ridiculous to me that people lose their minds over it. I was listening to Marek show and they were blasting his decision too. Now he's become a distraction and blah blah.

Wait a second people.

the "hockey is for everyone" inclusion nights are great, but doesn't that mean we also need to include the players/people with different thoughts other than the woke agenda that's forced down everyone's throats just about weekly now? Personally I could give a rats ass what you're sexual beliefs are. Don't force em on to me like Jehova's do their religion. I thought pride month was in the summer, but it appears to be monthly there's some pride event.

Maybe people are just getting sick of these forced agenda's.

Live and let live people
    "Woke" is such a s*itty term used by people too scared to change. Society moves on - join it or be left behind.
    H2H CONTRACT

SKATER +-/G/A/SOG/blocks
    GOALIE GAA/W/S

* length of contract

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    This is probably the reason why the Flyers avoided the jerseys for so long, but the work of Laughton, JVR, and others probably pushed for it, and the growing dislike of Provorov helped as well.

I bet the second Ovi retires, Washington will have those Pride jerseys.

Another Russian who's openly Russian Orthodox is Vasilevskiy. March 7th is Tampa's Pride night and will auction off sticks with pride tape, and Pride Replica Jerseys.

Provorov put a target on every team's actions with Pride stuff going forward.
    Wash used pride tape. Honestly, not a clue if Ovi used it. If he didn't, he certainly kept quiet about it.
    H2H CONTRACT

SKATER +-/G/A/SOG/blocks
    GOALIE GAA/W/S

* length of contract

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    This goes beyond that, and I hope you know better. This is not just an example of Provorov not regularly attending LGBT meetings. He flat out refused to support it. It's pretty clear that he is "against it". Wearing the jersey doesn't make you gay, it says that you support the LGBT people around the world to exist without persecution. Religious people can wear this jersey to support other human beings, even if they don't agree with their lifestyle. In Russia, gay people are thrown off buildings and burned alive. Refusing to wear the jersey is a bigger statement than you are suggesting.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Ninja

There's zero surprises in this thread. The same shitty people defending other shitty people with their same shitty views. Like clockwork.