Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Provorov won't support Gay Pride

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: Provorov won't support Gay Pride

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I don't think Muslims should be allowed to play in the NHL. I don't have anything against them, but my faith does not think it's ok for Muslims to play hockey. I respect everyone and everyone's choices though.
    is this a failed attempt at humor?

No gays are banned from playing in the league, so you are comparing apples to airplanes.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
    is this a failed attempt at humor?

No gays are banned from playing in the league, so you are comparing apples to airplanes.
    I didn't claim they were banned. I am speaking about a different issue. That of muslims playing hockey. It's their personal choice but I disagree with it. I respect their choice though.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I didn't claim they were banned. I am speaking about a different issue. That of muslims playing hockey. It's their personal choice but I disagree with it. I respect their choice though.
    start another thread for your other issue. What youre bringing up is not happening in the NHL and not relevant to the thread. You're trying to rile up the masses here.

Dobber Sports Genius

You are obviously trying to mock what I said about Muslim's. I don't dislike anyone based on their beliefs or sexual orientation. I judge people on their actions. I was just trying to point out the glaring hypocrisy of an article like this https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/londo...yers-1.6563099 and what Provrov is currently going though. Islam is unfortunately one of the most anti LGBT religions in the world. https://internap.hrw.org/features/features/lgbt_laws/

In fact Kadri who's parents hail from Lebanon, ban same sex conduct with a penalty of up to a year in prison. However, since he's a visible minority him and his religion are praised? Want a good way to make the NHL less inclusive for LGBT, increase the number of practicing Muslims playing it.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    You are obviously trying to mock what I said about Muslim's. I don't dislike anyone based on their beliefs or sexual orientation. I judge people on their actions. I was just trying to point out the glaring hypocrisy of an article like this https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/londo...yers-1.6563099 and what Provrov is currently going though. Islam is unfortunately one of the most anti LGBT religions in the world. https://internap.hrw.org/features/features/lgbt_laws/

In fact Kadri who's parents hail from Lebanon, ban same sex conduct with a penalty of up to a year in prison. However, since he's a visible minority him and his religion are praised? Want a good way to make the NHL less inclusive for LGBT, increase the number of practicing Muslims playing it.
    I am sorry you find it mocking. It's just my opinion. I respect everyone's opinions. No need to get all upset and "woke" on me over this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
    start another thread for your other issue. What youre bringing up is not happening in the NHL and not relevant to the thread. You're trying to rile up the masses here.
    Not trying to rile anyone up. It's just my opinion. I respect people's opinions and so should you.

Dobber Sports Titan

Ive always stood behind if you don't believe in LGBTQ+ should be allowed/promoted/legal because of your religious beliefs, you open yourself up to be questioned 100% on religious beliefs. From drinking, swearing, greed, sex without the goal of procreation, to eating shellfish, and mixing fabrics. You best have an answer to all the questions.

My personal stance on religion being a reason to be anti-gay, if you aren't following a lot of religious beliefs you are just hiding behind religion as your bigotry. Especially if you have sex without the goal of procreation, because that's the only thing in the bible that hints at anti-gay.

Also, love-thy-neighbour one ends with a statement that pretty much says "this is above all, even if your neighbour doesn't align with you".

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Ive always stood behind if you don't believe in LGBTQ+ should be allowed/promoted/legal because of your religious beliefs, you open yourself up to be questioned 100% on religious beliefs. From drinking, swearing, greed, sex without the goal of procreation, to eating shellfish, and mixing fabrics. You best have an answer to all the questions.

My personal stance on religion being a reason to be anti-gay, if you aren't following a lot of religious beliefs you are just hiding behind religion as your bigotry. Especially if you have sex without the goal of procreation, because that's the only thing in the bible that hints at anti-gay.

Also, love-thy-neighbour one ends with a statement that pretty much says "this is above all, even if your neighbour doesn't align with you".
    That's actually very fair and I like that. I am not sure if Provorov doesn't break any of the other rules but your 100% correct. Can't just pick and choose.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post

I agree with this as well. I find most religious folk pick and choose which tenets they "want" to observe.

That said, if Provorov follows all the rules of his Russian Orthodox church to the letter, I can at least respect that on one level. When a person is brainwashed from an early age to hold certain beliefs, and when all of your immediately family and friends hold the those same beliefs, it is very hard to break free from those ideas regardless of how absurd they may be.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    That's actually very fair and I like that. I am not sure if Provorov doesn't break any of the other rules but your 100% correct. Can't just pick and choose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
    I agree with this as well. I find most religious folk pick and choose which tenets they "want" to observe.

That said, if Provorov follows all the rules of his Russian Orthodox church to the letter, I can at least respect that on one level. When a person is brainwashed from an early age to hold certain beliefs, and when all of your immediately family and friends hold the those same beliefs, it is very hard to break free from those ideas regardless of how absurd they may be.
    Not normally the type of debate I wade into on the boards, but it seems to me the standard against which Provorov is being judged here is pretty off the charts.

All people of faith pick and choose. It's the state of being human. We are imperfect. Everybody has, at one time or another, told a lie (small or big); stolen something (small or big, physical or intangible); coveted something that's not theirs; judged themselves against others; had pre-marital sex; entertained lustful thoughts ... or much, much worse. It's a basic tenet of every major religion on Earth I can think of that humans strive for existential perfectionism and perpetually fall short.

So even if Provorov doesn't follow all rules of his religion to the letter -- which of course he doesn't, because it's not humanly possible -- I find it hard to accept that that alone renders his religious beliefs irrelevant to how he chooses to conduct himself in other matters. We can all have opinions about whether those beliefs comport with our sense of what is right or moral, but arguing that he's somehow less entitled to make choices of what to support or not based on his beliefs because he doesn't perfectly adhere to an exhaustive list of other beliefs seems pretty silly to me.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar//Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov/DeSmith

Dobber Sports Genius

Lol, then they’ll take your armoire. (Seinfeld guys)
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Ninja

What I take away from most people these days - "I support diversity...just not diversity of thought". How dare you not support the current thing or not wear the ribbon or kneel for the anthem, you bigoted, racist nazi. Why does everyone have to be in alignment on every issue? Respect the fact that people can have other opinions/thoughts that don't align with your own. Peace.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Veteran

I don't think he or anyone should be forced to stand up for anything if they don't want to. What harm is he doing? Everyone else is making a big deal out of it. Get off it. We support lots of other personal choice decisions, why not this one? The decision to abstain from making a social statement on behalf of your employer. I don't even think religious belief should have anything to do with justifying it.

I dread the day my employer asks me to wear a rainbow or visibly support any other social movement. I'm not there for that, its not part of the deal and it certainly doesn't have anything to do with my personal thoughts on the matter. They can use media and advertising to show the world how awesome they are. I will continue to be me and treat people based on my history with them, you all start at neutral.

Considering our employers do fire us when we make our own social statements which reflect poorly on them, I think its only fair I can choose to abstain from making ANY of these statements EVER. Well, except for this one which isnt one, because its entirely neutral.

Dobber Sports Titan

I should be clear, I don't expect everyone to be 100% a saint, but I expect you to be open about it and answer questions about it. If you're going to stand on a soapbox you can't shutdown. That has been my stance on any of these things, including if you speak out towards pro-LGBTQ+ or anything that would be in that tier.

If you speak out/do an action, you open the door for more, be prepared for it. Can't be half in and say religion and it be the real reason.

Hope that makes it a bit clearer
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Sage

So has Kadri had to participate in one of these nights?
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    So has Kadri had to participate in one of these nights?
    Kadri has even participated in the Pride Parade in Toronto I'm pretty sure, so I bet he has participated in a Pride Night.

Panarin and Shesterkin are both Orthodox I'm pretty sure, religious at a min (Panarin brings some religious pictures on road trips for his locker) and they both participate in Pride Nights.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll