Thread: The Petersen Situation

Dobber Sports Novice

Default The Petersen Situation

I have been holding Petersen on my roster since he was sent down to the minors. Can't put him on IR so he is a dead roster spot right now. I am doing well in my league and can afford to hold him longer, but will need to make a call by playoff time. From the reports I've read, it seems like the team would ideally like him to clean up his game, come back, and earn his contract. With Copley playing okay though, I'm worried they leave him down in the minors for a while. Could they trade Quick and bring Petersen up to tandem with Copley? Just looking to get folks thoughts on the situation and your comfort level in holding Petersen. Goalies are super thin in my league and worth a lot, so it's hard to just drop him.

A related question: how would you judge Petersens value in comparison to Kahkonen for next season? I have the option to drop Petersen for Kahkonen and was considering it as an option.
    12 Team H2H Full Keeper Weekly Roto: G, A, PPPTS, SOG, HIT, BLK, TOI, W, SVS, GAA, SV%
    Play 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2Sk, 2G Daily

F: Miller, Pettersson, Zegras, Bratt, Fiala, Kaprizov, Rust, Tippett, Bertuzzi, Crouse, Dubois, Batherson, Norris, Guenther*
    D: Makar, Hamilton, Chychrun, Jones, Ekblad, Romanov, Morrissey, Faulk
    G: Jarry, Kuemper, Jones, Swayman

Prospects: Wyatt Johnston*, Clarke, Pelletier, Tomasino, Nazar, Lysell, Annunen, Stankoven, Brink, Othmann
    Long Term IR: Perunovich
    *I rotate these prospects through 1 open roster spots to squeeze out more starts

Dobber Sports Novice

Default The Petersen Situation

I have been holding Petersen on my roster since he was sent down to the minors. Can't put him on IR so he is a dead roster spot right now. I am doing well in my league and can afford to hold him longer, but will need to make a call by playoff time. From the reports I've read, it seems like the team would ideally like him to clean up his game, come back, and earn his contract. With Copley playing okay though, I'm worried they leave him down in the minors for a while. Could they trade Quick and bring Petersen up to tandem with Copley? Just looking to get folks thoughts on the situation and your comfort level in holding Petersen. Goalies are super thin in my league and worth a lot, so it's hard to just drop him.

A related question: how would you judge Petersens value in comparison to Kahkonen for next season? I have the option to drop Petersen for Kahkonen and was considering it as an option.
    12 Team H2H Full Keeper Weekly Roto: G, A, PPPTS, SOG, HIT, BLK, TOI, W, SVS, GAA, SV%

F: Miller, Pettersson, Zegras, Bratt, Fiala, Kaprizov, Rust, Tippett, Bertuzzi, Crouse, Dubois, Batherson, Norris, Guenther*

Prospects: Wyatt Johnston*, Clarke, Pelletier, Tomasino, Nazar, Lysell, Annunen, Stankoven, Brink, Othmann
    *I rotate these prospects through 1 open roster spots to squeeze out more starts

The Great One

Default Re: The Petersen Situation

I've been researching this as much as I can so I'll add a couple things I've found:

- McKenna a goalie coach was on lockedonkings podcast. Its an interesting listen but not a ton to glean for fantasy. He said a couple things about petersen though. He said that most of this issue is about confidence but that there are some structural things you could see by watching his last couple games especially the Seattle one. He was holding his glove forward instead of sideways which might very well be from nerves and would have obvious adverse aleffect on your numbers. He also had a "scrunched up" posture that was making his 6"3 frame look small in the net. The last thing was that he said he'd like to see petersen use the posts as a guide/anchor more often as he ofrlten overshoot into the white ice and has to scramble from there. The first two are imminently correctable and hes had success despite employing the third his whole career. He summed it up by saying petersen is not a great technical or systems goalie- never had been and in his opinion that type of goalie might be more affected by lapses in confidence.

- he started out on fire with like 4 wins in the A- a great sign
    Since that time hes added 3 or4 losses but the numbers haven't been all bad- hes posting a respectable 0.918 sv% and a gaa of 2.60. Not gamebreakimg numbers but solid. For this thread I checked the reigns standings and they're 6th in their division with a record just a tad over 500. Thise numbers seem pretty well in line for a starter on that squad. Even though it is the minors the A is a very competetive league and I think he doing all jes been asked to do while getting some all important reps in and game starts.

- I owned Copley too and I couldn't find a lot of love for the idea of him taking over as starter. Its happened before so there's precedent but at this point he seems to just be viewed as a capable backup thriving on a great team. Well see if there more to the story- but my initial research didn't yield much optimism.

Can they trade Quick? Trading is not my forte- I don't know if his contract is movable and at this point hes barely a serviceable backup (which is crumby to say but I think is true). Theyd almost certainly have to retain salary i would guess but conversely they've got an embarrassment of riches in the pipeline maybe they can send a team a Kupari type prospect for taking quick off their hands? I think in an ideal world the kings would be happy with a copley/peteraen tandem getting it done with petersen taking the reigns by the playoffs or next year- but im not sure what the logistics are of moving quick in the first place..

Dobber Sports Novice

Quick is in his last year of his contract, but I agree that his cap hit would make a trade hard. Might be easiest to just keep him on their roster for this year and let him walk as a FA in the summer. At age 36, perhaps he retires. If they are looking at Quick vs Copley as a backup, I could see them choosing Copley. With Petersen at 5 million for 2 more years after this one, I just can't see them trading him or stashing him in the minors. Seems like he's got to be brought back up and given a chance to claim the starters role. They have to much invested in him. Copley can move up and down, so he likely goes back down when Petersen finds his game and comes back up. That makes me think I should keep holding Petersen to give that a chance to play out. The pain of that dead roster spot is brutal though.

Dobber Sports Stud

I'd also like some more opinions on Petersen. Is he still going to be the guy this/next year? Or will the Kings be on the hunt for a replacement sooner rather than later?

14 Team, Keep14 Farm5, 82GP Cap/Position
    Skaters: Points only, Goalies 2ptWin/3ptSO
    Start: 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,2G
    C- Crosby, Zibanejad, Couturier, Zacha, Frost
    LW- Marchand, Huberdeau, McTavish, Rackell, Kuzmenko
    RW- Konecny, Necas, Caufield, Jarvis, Lafreniere
    D- Hughes, Carlson, Werenski, Chychrun, Andersson, Dobson, Weegar
    G- Andersen, Merzlikins, Daccord, Jones
    Farm- Johnston, Foerster, Tarasov, Hutson, Reinbacher
    Picks-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11

Dobber Sports Deity

I fully expect him back at some point. I expected him back sooner, and probably would have been had Copley not had the hot start he's had in replacing Petersen. If he doesn't make it back this season, I do expect him to be back next year. They aren't going to bury $5M for two more years in the minors.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Copley's play is the main reason Petersen is still in the minors. I did ponder in an earlier thread, if they'd demote Quick and recall Petersen, but that seems like a way to potentially lose the locker room.

Quick will be tradable, eventually, as his remaining cap hit will shrink, and the Kings can retain a portion. Cap Friendly Kings page here: https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/kings

I expect Petersen back by or after the deadline if nobody gets hurt. If a goalie gets hurt, he'll be back immediately.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Stud

Copley's has earned the starting gig this season unless his play nosedives considerably. The Kings have turned their season around ever since he came in goal. They're not at risk of losing Petersen in the minors and can reassess the position at the beginning of next season. LA has looked real strong lately and they don't have a reason to alter the formula here.

I agree that Petersen could be back when playoff time comes, as teams seem to increasingly rely on their depth in goal.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

The Great One

Peterson in Ontario: 11 GP, 6W-5L, 2.64 GAA, .917 SV%. Nothing spectacular.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Novice

Update. I recently traded Petersen and Bjorkstrand for Martin Jones. I think that Petersen will battle Copley for the starters roll next year and has a decent chance to claim it. However, I'm contending now and can't afford to wait on him. Given how Seattle is doing, putting Jones in as my 3/4 goalie seems a safer bet.

The Great One

Yerp well played. I'm a bjorkstrand fan but that trade makes sense- didn't give up a ton and got an underrated guy...

Dobber Sports Initiate

Tough call on Petersen -- agree that he gets another shot at some point and working on his game in the A is probably a good call to both get his confidence back up and work on his technicals. I've been watching closely but there really just has not been much information on him or what the plan is. I thought I also saw a piece that LA has moved on from him but I can't find it right now. That said, I think all of this is just speculation/conjecture and you would think he will get another shot.

As for Quick being traded, I don't really see that happening either - he was the goalie who backstopped them LA on their cup runs and it looks like they'll just let his contract run out. It's unknown if they'll give him another one and let him stay on as a backup for a year or two (I heard Ken Holland is looking for some old goalies hahaha). That being said, his cap hit is $5.8MM next year but he's due to be paid only$2.5MM, so he could be traded to a team looking to make the cap floor like Chicago but that really seems like something insulting to do to a player who won LA a couple cups.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by FFleming5 View Post
    Tough call on Petersen -- agree that he gets another shot at some point and working on his game in the A is probably a good call to both get his confidence back up and work on his technicals. I've been watching closely but there really just has not been much information on him or what the plan is. I thought I also saw a piece that LA has moved on from him but I can't find it right now. That said, I think all of this is just speculation/conjecture and you would think he will get another shot.

As for Quick being traded, I don't really see that happening either - he was the goalie who backstopped them LA on their cup runs and it looks like they'll just let his contract run out. It's unknown if they'll give him another one and let him stay on as a backup for a year or two (I heard Ken Holland is looking for some old goalies hahaha). That being said, his cap hit is $5.8MM next year but he's due to be paid only$2.5MM, so he could be traded to a team looking to make the cap floor like Chicago but that really seems like something insulting to do to a player who won LA a couple cups.
    Quick is in the final year of his contract.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jonathan-quick
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post

Lols

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post

Ha - you're right - should've checked the cap friendly. Thought I remembered that he had one more year but that must have been last year. I still don't think there's any chance LA trades him this year