Poll: How should Fantasy Football Leagues Determine the Championship?

Thread: How to Handle Fantasy Football Championships

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default How to Handle Fantasy Football Championships

No idea which subforum was best so mods please move if you deem it necessary.

To set the stage for non-Fantasy Football people: Last week (NFL week 17) was fantasy football championship week (in most leagues). And in the final game of the week (Bills v. Bengals) Bills player Damar Hamlin collapsed early in the first quarter. It was very severe, Hamlin needed CPR on the field, almost died, it was tragic. Luckily it sounds like Hamlin is doing better.

After Hamlin collapsed the remainder of the game was suspended, and it looks like the game may not be played at all... This is not certain but the reports are leaning towards that.
    The schedule is the issue, next week (18) is the final week of the NFL regular season, then playoffs start the week after. Both Bills and Bengals will be in the playoffs, but also have a shot at the first round bye. In any event there is really no time to play week 18 and a makeup before the playoffs.

So 30 of 32 teams finished a game in week 17, but 2 only played a few minutes.
    My question is: How is your Fantasy Football League determining the Championship.
    Options I have seen:
    1. Scores stand as is. Bills and Bengal players get essentially a "0" for the week.
    2. Keep all other scores. Insert Bills and Bengals player fantasy points from Week 18
    3. Insert season average for Bills and Bengal players.
    4. Award Championship to team favored to win before the start of the Bills-Bengals game. (payout percentage based on odds).
    5. Co-Championship awarded.
    6. Other - Please specify.

I'm always interested in hearing how other leagues and commissioner's handle unprecedented situations.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: How to Handle Fantasy Football Championships

In the one league I'm in, in the Week 17 title game, one team was barely behind going into the game, with Burrow and Diggs to play. At the time of the collapse, he was comfortably ahead. Our commissioner deemed him champion, given that it would take multiple negative yardage gains in order for the Burrow/Diggs team to lose.

I think we need to know if the game is going to be replayed in some sort. If so, then that game counts, such as it is. If it is never replayed, then use season average to fill in the holes. We assume some risks in FFL (players getting hurt during a game), but we don't assume the risk of a game completely disappearing and never being made up. That's ok in hockey or baseball where there are so many games. But no one would (or should say) that we all have to accept it if an NFL game (especially Week 17) vanishes.

Dobber Sports Immortal

I think every situation will be different....but as long as the 2 finalists agree....I'm ok with whatever they want.

If I were in the finals of my main league, I would probably vote for no winner. But this is a league with friends who have known each other for 30 years and we're all very invested. I hate the idea of coming up with a rule to shoe horn a winner in when it's really just going to end with an asterisk victory anyway.

Dobber Sports Immortal

I'm ok with this option though...."Scores Stand but Bills-Bengals players use Week 18 scores". That is what my league is doing. Since I'm not in the final I haven't really pushed what I said above.

The team that was projected to win did start a big argument though. He was down 45 with Burrow, Mixon and Diggs and he thought if anything he should win because he was projected to win by 5 or 10. The majority of us disagreed and said if anything....the team that was winning should win over the concept of projected points winning.

Anyways.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    In the one league I'm in, in the Week 17 title game, one team was barely behind going into the game, with Burrow and Diggs to play. At the time of the collapse, he was comfortably ahead. Our commissioner deemed him champion, given that it would take multiple negative yardage gains in order for the Burrow/Diggs team to lose.

I think we need to know if the game is going to be replayed in some sort. If so, then that game counts, such as it is. If it is never replayed, then use season average to fill in the holes. We assume some risks in FFL (players getting hurt during a game), but we don't assume the risk of a game completely disappearing and never being made up. That's ok in hockey or baseball where there are so many games. But no one would (or should say) that we all have to accept it if an NFL game (especially Week 17) vanishes.
    Agreed on the need confirmation of if the game will be replayed. IF the game is replayed then no problems really, insert the final points from that game. However, reports seem to indicate the game will NOT be replayed, thus the contingency options.
    https://www.sportsnet.ca/nfl/article...ardiac-arrest/

Further, the decision needs to be made before Week 18 kickoffs as to avoid bias or using scores to influence the decision. So far the NFL has not said anything formally (my guess is they were waiting and hoping Hamlin recovered so as to not be insensitive, and possibly hoping KC wins Sunday to make the game moot regarding the bye).

In your fact scenario it seems completely reasonably to award the Championship to the guy who won it, because he either outright does or almost certainly wins in any of options 1-4.
    1. He wins
    2. He wins 95+% of the time (given he was ahead after less than a quarter. Burrows and Diggs are not both putting up negative points in a full game).
    3. He wins (I assume with season averages)
    4. He wins (again I assume his estimate was 95%+)
    5. Co-Champ.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Sage

It's being said the game will not be replayed...

I'm only in one league - the Dobber Tier II league.

The big matchup being Zorro vs Diggs in a Blanket - competing for the title.
    Only Diggs in a Blanket had a single player (Stefon Diggs) in that game. Diggs would need a 2nd best season output from Diggs for him to win...
    Doable yes... but imo I would side with declaring Zorro as the winner.

I'd say the situation for the 3rd and 4th matchup (which I'm in) is more clouded. (Plus side is 3rd/4th doesn't really matter)
    With my opponent having no players remaining, my team needed to better just 25.3 fantasy points in the remainder of the game by:
    Ja'Marr Chase, Josh Allen, and Tyler Base.

My team struggled with injuries (mid game) all season... so this is a rather fitting end.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24