Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bar soap ! whats your preference

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Bar soap ! whats your preference

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Great thread! Bar soap! Yes!
    My wife refuses to use bar soap, spends oodles on liquid soap.
    She told me a few years ago "Nobody, honestly (my name), nobody uses bar soap."
    I said "What, everybody on my hockey teams ever/always uses bar soap. Guys use bar soap."

I think I use Dove, I don't know.
    I bought a 12-pack or something like 10 years ago... still working through the final bars.
    Meanwhile, she's probably gone through 25 different liquid soap bottles (and their containers) in the last 2 years.

Good on ye all for using the bar!
    You use a bar of soap a yr? What in the world.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I bought a 12-pack or something like 10 years ago... still working through the final bars
    Bro what?

Another vote for Dove, but the green label one not the regular one.
    10 Team H2H Points 1 Year League
    2020 Runner Up, 2021 Champion, 2022 Champion

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    I also use goat milk bar soap now. I know someone that makes it so I just supply the milk.

Been using Irish Spring for years too.
    Your goat supplies the milk is what you meant to say right?

Myself, Irish Spring from Costco; 20 bars, 18$.

Dobber Sports Monster

I like how there is a popular soap thread on a fantasy hockey forum. You guys crack me up

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Apprentice

My mom makes some pretty nice bar soap. Lye Naked Soaps. Check ‘em out they smell great, look good and lather up real nice!

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    Your goat supplies the milk is what you meant to say right?

Myself, Irish Spring from Costco; 20 bars, 18$.
    I've been using my wife's dove bars ever since my OP but bought some irish spring month ago

so far , I'd say the lathering is a bit average but the lifespan of a bar is impressive

Dobber Sports Genius

A touch off topic, but this shampoo will knock your socks off! Not easy to find, but if you do, take the risk and lather up. ~$7-8 bottle. Soap - no real preference. On Ivory kick right now. I lather more so with the shampoo and use soap as a secondary kick. *Edit, $38 per bottle on Amazon. 1 left. Price inflation is maddening.

Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I mostly purchase Irish Spring bar soap. I also have a bunch of body wash, and that is all close to free: like $0.10/bar or $0.25 a bottle of body wash due to very good couponing and sales back in the day. The body wash is almost gone, though.

However I'm one of those people who brings hotel bar soap home to finish up the bar. Figure it's either landfill, given to a company to make new soap, or it goes with me. I have a WWII soap holder that is 2 pieces and metal so it's not an issue for transport. One side has a few small holes.

One other thing I do is use soap saver bags. They take all the little shards and go into a bag. I used to use a terry/spongy kind, but have switched to a "Natural Sisal Exfoliating Soap Pouch" - you can find them on Amazon, I had to look up what exactly they were made from, but they work great for lather and getting the last little bits out of your soap.

Just don't EVER put any Fels-Naptha or other lye based soap in there.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Stud

I too don't use body wash. My wife keeps trying to get me to change and use the stiff with a loufa - but I'm old and set in my ways.

Irish Spring guy for as long as I can remember. Never considered ever changing. Hey, if it works, why not stick with it?
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I use Dr. Squatch. I switched last yr because I was getting like crazy dry skin in my arms and armpits to the point it looked like a chemical burn. Fixed it instantly and the smells are very different from the typical mens washes which I love. I've never had a bad smelling bad, but def ones that aren't for me.
    I am going to have to give this stuff a try. I had the same reaction to a bunch of different soaps.

my wife found some stuff but it’s expensive. So thank you!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Bar soap >>>> Liquid Soap.
    It's one of the things about consumerism that absolutely blows me the fugg away.
    Like... as far as cost, effectiveness, and packaging/waste... not close.

(I don't like to pigeon-hole an entire group of people... like ever... but women, my wife incl., who make any attempt to reason that liquid soap is better - but then make comments towards "doing things for the environment, yada, yada, yada" - just blow me away.
    The amount of big plastic pump bottles that my wife & daughters go through... shakes head... c'mon, ugh.)

And, LOL to this thread.
    I'm still working away on my last bar of Dove bar soap!
    I debated responding - but hey, why not be honest and give you guys something to snicker at!

(Honestly - it probably wasn't 10 years ago that I bought my 12-pack of Dove. But I'd bet it was 6-8 years ago. I reduced my showering down to once every week or TWO... yeah, I'm saying it out loud... several years ago. I use very little soap in shower and I have a plastic case that protects it from water when not in use. There's scientific research that shows that showering is simply an "as needed" activity for personal health. Some people have gone long periods - and are just fine - without showering. If you aren't exercising/sweating significantly (checkmark), if you don't stink (checkmark), if you are good at wiping your ass (checkmark), and don't have critical naked time (unfortunate checkmark) - you really don't need to bathe or shower much. Especially with COVID - and work-from-home... I'm just... indoors - a lot. Exercise used to be the hockey rink - and I had a separate bar soap stash in bag for that. I haven't played ice hockey in over 3 years now due to an injury / life-busyness. I've reached old man phase. I exercise way, way less and eat much, much better. So need for showering is way, way, way down. I'm basically a really clean indoor-only pet. The other way I know I don't need showers... I don't put on any anti-perspirant/deodorant... and don't smell. When I was a younger man, that would've been an easy stench daily if I skipped that. I still have to do a lot grimy work when I do the construction on my house addition - but fortunately we have a pool - so I strip down and take immediate quick dip and towel off. My wife just got on me... said "I don't think you've showered in the last month". So I did. Had the bar soap probably in hand for 8-10 seconds. Got everything. The worst was probably my hair, which has been growing out for about 2-3 months from buzz now... I let that go a bit too long, it was a bit... clumpy. Yugg. But, I just get out the razor in another month and buzz that off. Easy peezy.)

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I am going to have to give this stuff a try. I had the same reaction to a bunch of different soaps.

my wife found some stuff but it’s expensive. So thank you!
    It's not cheap, I'm actually actively trying to find a cheaper option. But I stick with their deodorant for now.

I bought a Jack Black Liquid gel soap for traveling as it was a 3-in-1. It was alright in smell, but I felt the bar soaps do a much better job with a silicon scrub pad.

Apparently this Stirling soap is good, I'll need to take it for a test drive thoughhttps://topofthechain.ca/search?q=stirling&type=product

There's also this bulk store. It legit looks like Dr. Squatch gets there stuff from this place. Quickly doing the pricing though, it's $63.41USD for shipping+10-1" bars. So that's $85CAD, $8.50/bar. If you buy 40-1" bars, it's ~$140CAD, then it's $3.50/bar.

https://www.bulkapothecary.com/ready...p-bars-loaves/

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm also a fan of Dr. Squatch. As 2014OG said, it's not cheap but I find it's not too bad if you time your purchases around sales. They tend to run a pretty big holiday season promotion, I think another around Memorial Day, etc. and I buy 6 or 12 bars at a time when they're on sale so I can better stomach the price. Regardless, I like it and it's the first soap I recall really having a preference for, so I stick with it. One thing to keep in mind if you try is they have different grits -- from coarse grit all the way down to no grit. It's simply a matter of preference, but there are stark differences between them so you may like certain bars and not others based on that. There's also a wide variety of fragrances, so another variant to explore/find your preference.

Also keep a Dove bar in the shower for face washing. Don't know why really. Just like it better for my face.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar//Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov/DeSmith

Dobber Sports Titan

For my face I love Jack Black products. I get them through Sephora and you typically get samplers which is nice, and you get like points with Sephora which I tend to ask my fiance what she wants with them. Same with a Bday gift.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Bought a new brand of bar soap on clearance at Big Lots at $0.50/bar - Old Spice. Box smelled good, we'll see how well it does.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.