Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NHL99: A project ranking the greatest players in modern NHL history - The Athletic

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: NHL99: A project ranking the greatest players in modern NHL history - The Athletic

I predict Crosby will come in at 5. Yzerman was my favorite player but he was always critically underrated. I don't think he cracks top 10. McDavid will be 9 and Ovi 8.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: NHL99: A project ranking the greatest players in modern NHL history - The Athletic

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    Too many greats to nail something concrete down without knowing their criteria...
    I think there are 9 writers or so that are ranking their personal top 100 list, which then is inversed for score and calculated with the others' lists. Not all that much science but quite a lot of knowledge still.

Thornton should not be making this list anymore with some of the names already listed.
    ...but he is. At #32, surrounded by a bit of controversy in the comment section. Quite a lot of points produced over a long career, but I thought he had more than a single Art Ross trophy... One Hart on top though. I can't weigh in too much whether he deserves this place or not.

Dobber Sports Sage

Ya way too high.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Genius

What was the end result of this?

Dobber Sports Sage

They are at 22.

23- Selanne
    24- Larry Robinson
    25- Ken Dryden
    26- Malkin
    27- Forsberg

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    They are at 22.

23- Selanne
    24- Larry Robinson
    25- Ken Dryden
    26- Malkin
    27- Forsberg
    Malkin over Forsberg? Some people won't like that but I don't think Geno get's enough credit.

Dobber Sports Sage

Ya I had Forsberg higher as I don't dock him for having a shortened career due to injuries... Malkin also has his share of injuries, but still has 300+ games played on Forsberg.

Beast mode Malkin is an absolute monster though that I would have him even higher if that's what I could get

Dobber Sports Initiate

Twenty players to go. Most likely these:

W Gretzky
    M Lemieux
    A Ovechkin
    S Crosby
    C McDavid
    J Jagr
    M Messier
    G Lafleur
    M Dionne
    M Bossy
    S Yzerman
    J Sakic
    P Esposito

B Orr
    D Potvin
    R Bourque
    P Coffey
    N Lidstrom

D Hasek
    P Roy

Any more calls for the order of top 10?

Dobber Sports Sage

I only see it ranked to 22 so 21 players to go (though I'm not subscribed so maybe I'm a day behind in which case Brodeur got ranked at 21?)

Well my list didn't include any goalies as I wasn't sure how I wanted to slot them in with the players... I figure at least one or two should have a spot in the top 10.

How I think the goalies will be ordered:
    1. Hasek
    2. Roy
    3. Brodeur

Though my personal list (for goalies) would be pretty different then most. For example Carey Price would be much higher. Basing it more off individual skill then accolades/team success.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Martin Brodeur is indeed #21.

I'd prefer Hasek too over Roy, but my gut feeling says they're reversed in this list. Will be interesting to see where they come in.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Down to the final three spots now. The top 4-10:
    4. Crosby
    5. Jagr
    6. Ovechkin
    7. Hasek
    8. Lidstrom
    9. P Esposito
    10. R Bourque

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Would just point out Gretzky won’t be on the list. They decided he is #1 of the top 100, so they removed him to make it 99, which is also an homage to Gretzky. However lots of people are seemingly going to be mad when they get to #1 and it’s not Gretzky lol.

Dobber Sports Ninja

My ranking of the final 3 would be

2) Howe
    3) Orr
    4) Lemieux

but any order is fine. All incredible.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Would just point out Gretzky won’t be on the list. They decided he is #1 of the top 100, so they removed him to make it 99, which is also an homage to Gretzky. However lots of people are seemingly going to be mad when they get to #1 and it’s not Gretzky lol.
    This is apparently a lie, I misremembered from when they started the project 3 months ago.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Oh no Howe for their reasons.

Silly list.

I guess it's Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux then.