Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NHL99: A project ranking the greatest players in modern NHL history - The Athletic

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default NHL99: A project ranking the greatest players in modern NHL history - The Athletic

I like this article. It's currently down to #37 Al MacInnis. A few surprises along the way. Malkin who was left off the other greatest 100 players list still hasn't showed up, but I'm expecting him soon. Pavel Bure, I believe didn't make this one, while Mogilny did at #89. Fedorov should show up in the late 20s, early 30's I believe. All Russian player speculation here, but it's interesting to see these kind of rankings and see how they compare to each other.

Another player I think will around the Malkin and Fedorov area - Peter Forsberg.

Anything interesting you've found in the list? Any speculation on what to come? Disagree or do you like the list so far?

Another thing I'm looking forward to - How these players will rank Ovechkin, Crosby, Jagr, Lidström, R Bourque, P Roy, D Hasek. They should all be behind the Orr, Gretzky and Lemieux, but in what order...?

Great read regardless.

Edit:
    To make the thread less of an advertisement for the Athletic, which I didn't intend, and a bit more engaging - please make your 1-10 prediction. I think it's safe to assume Gretzky at number 1, since it's called NHL99, but the rest should be interesting.
    3p for correct placement
    2p for one placement from the correct rank
    1p for two placements from the correct rank

My prediction for top 10:

1. W Gretzky
    2. B Orr
    3. M Lemieux
    4. N Lidström
    5. P Roy
    6. S Crosby
    7. J Jagr
    8. D Hasek
    9. A Ovechkin
    10. R Bourque
    Yahoo Limited keeper: keep up to 8 players from the preceding season, but 2 of them has to be dropped at the end of the season, decided before the start. 'Keep eligible players' from draft round 11 and later, or undrafted.
    16 team league. H2H. League cats: G A +/- PIM PPP SHP SOG FW HIT BLK; W GAA SV SV% SHO
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 6Bench, 2IR
    Keepers 23/24 + cost of keeping. M Seider 2, B Tkachuk 5, D Batherson 4, D Cozens 1, W Johnston 1, F Gustavsson 1. Drafted and keep eligible: J Sanderson, T Harley, J Wallstedt

The Great One

Default Re: NHL99: A project ranking the greatest players in modern NHL history - The Athletic

If Mogilny was #89 maybe Bure is at 10? I can’t imagine Bure would not be there. He changed the game. He was so fast and skilled.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: NHL99: A project ranking the greatest players in modern NHL history - The Athletic

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    If Mogilny was #89 maybe Bure is at 10? I can’t imagine Bure would not be there. He changed the game. He was so fast and skilled.
    You may very well be right. He was inducted into the HoF pretty early in contrast to Mogilny. I always thought of them as fairly similar - both great Russian goal scorers, but I can't say I saw them play more than through highlights. It's what makes these kind of lists so interesting - the comparisons that can be made, and new insights how the players are viewed.

To make the thread less of an advertisement for the Athletic, which I didn't intend, and a bit more engaging - please make your 1-10 prediction. I think it's safe to assume Gretzky at number 1, since it's called NHL99, but the rest should be interesting.
    3p for correct placement
    2p for one placement from the correct rank
    1p for two placements from the correct rank

Edit: I also wonder where McDavid will end up in a list like this. Can he be top 10 already?

The Great One

Agreed. I saw them both play. Bure was a little smaller and much faster. He could things on the fly that were amazing. Mogilny was a great skater in a straight line and had an absolutely leathal shot. Both fantastic players.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett

IR:

Dobber Sports Sage

Ron Francis top 10!
    Is that a bold prediction? Mark it
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    Ron Francis top 10!
    Is that a bold prediction? Mark it
    It is a bold prediction! Francis was covered 5 places ago at #42, two places below Luc Robitaille at #40, which for me was a surprise to be found that high. I would've thought Francis would be found a bit closer to the 20-30 range, and Robitaille not better than Datsyuk, Bergeron or S Niedermayer who all have been covered in the 40's, #43, #46 and #45 respectively.

Dobber Sports Padawan

when did the MODERN NHL history begin?
    SOME POOL RULES. Points only (G-1, A-1). One year Hybrid Pool. 3 round draft with balance of roster selected from any undrafted NHLer.. 19F 4 D 2 Rooks SALARIES AND POSITIONS DO NOT MATTER (other than being a F or D). NO Inter-Team Trading, Bench or Minors. Our WAIVER WIRE is ANY player in the NHL who is not Drafted in our league's 3 round draft. Each manager gets 6 ADD/DROPS (TRADES) for the year...any player on roster can be TRADED for any unDrafted F/D/R from ANY NHL team. INJURY RULE "IR". A hurt player can be replaced by another F/D from HIS NHL team and this is NOT considered a trade.. Injured player can be put back on team any time.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by everfeb View Post
    when did the MODERN NHL history begin?
    1967. Gordie Howe, M Richard and Bobby Hull are off the list for that reason. They made a threshold at 400 NHL games played from 1967-2022. Auston Matthews made it, Cale Makar did not.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by loppantorkel View Post
    1967. Gordie Howe, M Richard and Bobby Hull are off the list for that reason. They made a threshold at 400 NHL games played from 1967-2022. Auston Matthews made it, Cale Makar did not.
    Thanks loppantorkel.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

1. Gretzky
    2. Lemieux
    3. Orr
    4. Jagr
    5. Yzerman
    6. Bourque
    7. Esposito
    8. Bossy
    9. Coffey
    10. Dionne

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by loppantorkel View Post
    Makar's not the guy they are keeping off by making it 400, that's Howe and his 350 or so NHL games.

My only prediction is Ovechkin at 8.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Pavel Bure just popped in at #36. Quite a bit higher than I would've expected, but probably worthy of that place
    Yahoo Limited keeper: keep up to 8 players from the preceding season, but 2 of them has to be dropped at the end of the season, decided before the start. 'Keep eligible players' from draft round 11 and later, or undrafted.
    16 team league. H2H. League cats: G A +/- PIM PPP SHP SOG FW HIT BLK; W GAA SV SV% SHO
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 6Bench, 2IR
    Keepers 23/24 + cost of keeping. M Seider 2, B Tkachuk 5, D Batherson 4, D Cozens 1, W Johnston 1, F Gustavsson 1. Drafted and keep eligible: J Sanderson, T Harley, J Wallstedt

The Great One

I like it.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR:

Dobber Sports Initiate

Chris Pronger at #35 and not happy about it.

Various names still unranked:
    Gretzky
    Orr
    Lidstrom
    Bourque
    Coffey
    Chelios
    Leetch
    Robinson
    Potvin
    Wilson
    Hasek
    Roy
    Brodeur
    Crosby
    Ovechkin
    Thornton
    Lemieux
    Jagr
    Selanne
    Clarke
    Lafleur
    Trottier
    Bossy
    Yzerman
    Sakic
    Fedorov
    Forsberg
    Iginla
    Messier
    Dryden
    Dionne
    P Esposito
    Malkin
    Housley
    McDavid
    Brett Hull

Dobber Sports Sage

Too many greats to nail something concrete down without knowing their criteria... but I will start with (and it's a work in progress):

1. Gretzky
    2. Lemieux
    3. Orr
    4. Jagr
    5. Yzerman (Higher due to
    6. Coffey
    7. Bourque
    8. Bossy (Lowered due to fewer GP)
    9. Dionne
    10. McDavid

I'd have Messier, Esposito, Crosby, Forsberg, Sakic, LaFleur, Selanne, Robinson in 10-20.
    I've been ignoring goalies.

Thornton should not be making this list anymore with some of the names already listed.

Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24