Thread: Team advice / who to target

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Team advice / who to target

Hey looking to get some thoughts on my team. I am thinking that I have a good Def corp and 3 solid forward but I lack good goal tending. I ended last season in 2nd over all and didnt place in playoffs.
    Details about my league: Keepers league, 10 keepers at end of season. Weekly scoring, Points only. FWD - 1 pt for G/A, DEF 2pt G / 1 pt A, G 2pt W / 4pt SO. Top 2 Goalies, 4 defense and 10 forwards count for totals. Totals are then ranked weekly and top team gets 12 points lowest gets 0. I have listed and example below. There is also a cap, which uses last regular seasons points as a cost and a team cap of 1050 points.

Wk 1 Wk 2 Wk 3 Wk 4 Wk 5 Wk 6 Wk 7 Wk 8 Wk 9 Wk 10
    Team 1 43 12 8.5 7 12 9 11 8 6
    Team 2 61 6.5 8.5 8.5 11 5 2 11 12
    Team 3 45 6.5 7 11 5.5 7 9.5 9 7.5
    Team 4 41 10 1.5 12 4 11 9.5 6.5 5
    Team 5 38 11 10 6 8 8 1 12 3.5
    Team 6 45 9 12 2 5.5 1 12 10 7.5
    Team 7 48 8 6 4.5 9.5 10 8 3 9
    Team 8 38 3 3 10 1 12 6.5 6.5 3.5
    Team 9 49 0.5 5 8.5 7 4 0 5 10
    Team 10 52 3 0 3 9.5 6 5 2 11
    My team 33 5 11 1 2.5 2.5 6.5 1 2
    Team11 30 0.5 4 4.5 2.5 2.5 4 0 0
    Team 12 32 3 1.5 0 0 0 3 4 1

Here is my team
    Goalie: Jordan Binnington, Darcy Kuemper, Eric Comrie.
    Defence: Zach Werenski, Morgan Rielly, Rasmus Dahlin. Alexander Romanov, Jake Walman
    Forwards: Johnny Gaudreau, Matthew Tkachuk, Mitch Marner, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Yegor Sharangovich, Stefan Noesen, Kent Johnson, Brandon Tanev, Peryton Krebs, Rudolf Balcers, Eeli Tolvanen, Taylor Raddysh, Juuso Parssinen.

Thinking I need to upgrade my Goalies, get another solid forward in my group and maybe say bye to Werenski.

Some overall thoughts and advice?

Thanks
    K
    13 Team Points only Keepers league

Points: Goalies: 2 Pt for W / 4 pt for SO // Def: 2 pt for G / 1 pt for A // Fwd: 1 pt G or A.
    Top 2 G,4 D,9 Fwd count for points per week.

G:Jordan Binnington, Darcy Kuemper, Eric Comrie
    D: Zach Werenski, Morgan Rielly, Rasmus Dahlin,Alex Romanov, Jake Walman
    FWD: Johnny Gaudreau, Mitch Marner, Matwhew Tkachuk, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Yegor Sharangovich, Stefan Noesen, Kent Johnson, Brandon Tanev, Peyton Krebs, Rudolf Balcers, Eeli Tolvanen, Taylor Raddysh, Juuso Parssien.

The Great One

Default Re: Team advice / who to target

How many active forwards? 10? Ummm I e got bad news...

Tbh I count 4 and a half rosterable forwards. I see a strong d core just decimated by I juries and I see two passable goalies. I don't think you're one forward away tbh- I think you're several forwards away- like six. I also feel like you've got a fantastic asset in werwnski that you'd be doomed to selling low on if you moved him.

Your forward core is very very young. I'm as bug of a kj fan as you'll find but even im not expecting rosterable numbers this year. Krebs is not really all that close yet by the looks of it- parssinen might pan out long term still (maybe) but his short term value has all but dried up.

I really feel like you chalk this year up to one short season investment into turning things around. By time some passing your getting healthier and better. Gaudreaus a little older but one season won't be the end of him.

If you move gaudreau be very careful (id keep him probably)- but if you can get solid young talent that compliments your core id at least consider it. I think kuzy has a lot of flags and id be shopping him.

Your targets?

Goalies- are a great start. I don't hate kuemper but he's kind of a hot potato id love to get a young sturdy netminder you can count on like an oettinger or a sorokin. Then...

Forwards- You need twn of them! Like I said I see 4 and a half. Let's say by next year you get lucky and internal development puts you at 6 and a half or lets even say 7- you're still 3 shy by my count. I'd try and acquire young ayers that arw scoring bow but that's not always easy. I'm just saying that even though you want to compete sooner you have a very young core and if you add Grey eards your going to be in the same boat by the time you're ready to compete and you have to frantically try to add more bodies lol!

Good luck sorry of this was not the news you wanted to hear...

Dobber Sports Rookie

First off THANK YOU! I was really looking for some advice here. You definitely gave me the news I was looking for, I know my team is in need of some rebuild but I am hoping for some trades to make next season better.

Sadly I can only keep 10 from my team and I would like to get a bit more forwards to put into my keepers list. That being said as of right now I would say my keepers would be Dahlin, Reilly, Werenski, Gaudreau, Marner, Tkachuk. These are my absolute core guys. which leaves 4 open spots to fill. Kent Johnson is a solid option to fill Comrie could be another. Id love to flip Kuznetsov, Binnington and Kuemper into 1 young goalie and 1 good forward. I may have to give up some draft picks to make this happen but I think as long as I dont give away too much high picks I will be good.

What do you think would be a reasonable return for Kuznetsov? Binnington and Kuemper? Who would you target?

Thanks,
    K
    13 Team Points only Keepers league

Points: Goalies: 2 Pt for W / 4 pt for SO // Def: 2 pt for G / 1 pt for A // Fwd: 1 pt G or A.
    Top 2 G,4 D,9 Fwd count for points per week.

G:Jordan Binnington, Darcy Kuemper, Eric Comrie
    D: Zach Werenski, Morgan Rielly, Rasmus Dahlin,Alex Romanov, Jake Walman
    FWD: Johnny Gaudreau, Mitch Marner, Matwhew Tkachuk, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Yegor Sharangovich, Stefan Noesen, Kent Johnson, Brandon Tanev, Peyton Krebs, Rudolf Balcers, Eeli Tolvanen, Taylor Raddysh, Juuso Parssien.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Here's a good vid on Binnington
    https://youtu.be/gkG2ay0Shgk
    10 Teams
    Keeper max 18 of 23 + 5 minors
    NHL Cap Hit
    G, A, SOG, HITS, BLKS, STP, FOW, Takeaways
    W, GAA, SV%, SO

C
    Eichel, Beniers, Trocheck, Fantilli, Staal, Glendening, Mittlestadt, Bjugstad

W
    B. Tkachuk, Pastrnak,
    Perfetti, Giroux, Byfield, Reinhart, Svechnikov, Quinn

D
    Lauzon, Schenn, Englund, Hakanpaa, Korchinski

G
    Sorokin, Ersson

Minors
    Wallstedt, Wolf, Jiricek

The Great One

I love where your heads at! Thise keepers are a great start. I think kj is for sure and I feel like krebs makes a solid keeper option too. Hes got warts (he doesn't soot enough and a prominent Sabres pundit is outspoken on how he thinks his shot is actually pretty weak) BUT he's an 8.5 dobber rating. You see a lot of 8s- and they're very good players- but you don't see a lot of 8.5s so even though krebs was not a personal favorite I got him myself because he was affordable (relatively speaking) and I feel like that point five means something- lol! Tolvanen is a funny character and a guy who could explode with little to no notice. Hes not an optimal keeper but if you have no one else I'd consider him.

I think priority one is getting a goalie- if you're targeting next year I feel like swayman vanecek are two great options on ridiculous teams that could still be affordable. I'd try a buy low offer on vasy- he WILL figure things out and oettinger is a personal favorite whose probably already elite but not viewed as such.

I'll get back with more..

The Great One

You posted this to the forum and sent it to me as a mailbag question? You sure are covering your bases. I like it!
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/