Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: U20 World Junior Championship 2023

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: U20 World Junior Championship 2023

A day of upsets!

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Can't remember the reason I picked for Czech goalie, things might have been a bit foggy at the time. LOL
    TEAM 1
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H, G, A, PPP, SOG, FOW, HITS, BLKS, PIM, GWG, ShG, W, SHO, GA, SV, ShL, OL
    3-6C, 3-6W, 6D, 8B, 2G, 20 farm, 3IR

C - Crosby-McDavid-Giroux-Kadri
    W - Ovechkin-Marchand-Lehkonen-Wheeler-E.Kane-Landeskog
    D - Jones-Schenn-Stone-Lindholm-Moser-Whitecloud
    G - Hellebuyck-Lindgren-Martin-Stalock

Full Keeper

Dobber Sports Deity

Tough game to watch last night for Canadian fans. Too many dumb penalties and sloppy play in their own end from the goalie out. A lot of the goals Gaudreau gave up weren't his fault but enough were. The Czech goalie played really good.

Thankfully this tournament isn't won or lost on day one. Canada players have egg on their face today. Wipe it off and move on. Maybe now we don't have to listen to James Duthie preach that this is potentially the greatest Canadian Junior team ever.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Superstar

I think it's fair to say that things didn't go quite the way most of us expected on day 1 of the tournament. Wow. The only game that went the way I expected was Sweden blowing out Austria but even then, some weirdness, 11 goals and Lysell doesn't have a point to show for it. As for Team Canada, well, I think the hype machine has been serious silenced. Welcome to the real world! This team has some serious work to do across the full lineup to correct the myriad of serious mistakes that were made throughout the game. This coaching staff better be close to the best Canada has ever put together to get these guys back on track. Good news is there is time to do that and weak competition until the playoffs start, but, they sure laid a Turkey last night.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Pro

I thought Canada made some questionable roster selection choices and it showed. Curious to see how they bounce back.

Sweden looked great. Even without a point I thought Lysell was one of the best players on the ice. Bystedt jumped out as well... he always seemed in on the action and the puck finds him.

USA played good but not great. They'll need to limit the mistakes to stay in the medal hunt.

Dobber Sports Stud

Might have been a blessing in disguise to lose to the Czechs. The Czechs were going to upset SOMEONE this year, they're very good. Serious contender for bronze. So it's not like Canada lost to a bad team. Now, that "adversity" that is talked about EVERY SINGLE YEAR by the media at some point in the tournament (whether warranted or not), they can get it out of the way early and not on New Year's Eve, right before the playoff round, as usually happens. They can now start Milic the rest of the way without feeling the need to give Gaudreau another chance, as should have happened in the first place. And as mentioned by others, all this talk of "greatest team ever" goes away and instead of assuming they're going to win, they'll have to play harder. Much better to get that wake-up call on the first day then a week into the tournament.
    They will be fine. The only real threat in group B is the USA, and Canada's not finishing 4th in their group. Even with a loss to Sweden (which I don't think will happen but I'm talking worst case scenario) they probably play the Finns in the quarterfinals, who are looking much weaker this year than they were in the summer (not even taking into account their loss to the Swiss). Nothing has really changed in that the only real threat is the USA (and that is a very real threat in the finals) and that the Swedes look better than expected (although they were playing Austria, plus the Austrians were without their best player). I don't think the Czechs have what it takes to win it all, but will probably be in the bronze medal game against Sweden. They won't beat Canada twice in on tournament if they wind up meeting against in the Semis.
    The Swedes time will come next year when they host the tournament and Carlsson-Ostlund-Ohgren-Lekkerimaki are one year older. Plus Canada and the USA will have almost all their top guys from this year either in the NHL or aged out.

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Team play won games yesterday. Solo streaking to the net and fancy plays might look good in highlights kids but it doesnt win games. Too much big screen watching and not enough game watching on the bench. LAT had US in a battle until the US started to play together. CAN never adjusted.
    Team CAN - I get that these guys are stars on their regular teams and often carry play, but they have to change mindset and play together. The talent is clearly there.
    I also blame Mike Johnson, yuck. Can we get someone who isnt a homer and actually can see what is happening on the ice? Dude is brutal.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    Team play won games yesterday. Solo streaking to the net and fancy plays might look good in highlights kids but it doesnt win games. Too much big screen watching and not enough game watching on the bench. LAT had US in a battle until the US started to play together. CAN never adjusted.
    Team CAN - I get that these guys are stars on their regular teams and often carry play, but they have to change mindset and play together. The talent is clearly there.
    I also blame Mike Johnson, yuck. Can we get someone who isnt a homer and actually can see what is happening on the ice? Dude is brutal.
    Totally agree. So many times I saw Canadian players being the hero trying to deke everyone out to get a goal. No team work. Also, I understand that Bedard loves to shoot but man, it wouldn’t hurt to pass it once in a while. Lack of team play and undisciplined play cost them that game. Plus Gaudreau didn’t help the cause. Yes and MJ needs to relax with the homer comments. But that’s what happens when the media heads overhyped this team to death and then they realize they’re not a bunch of hockey gods, just kids.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by northernnuck View Post
    Can't remember the reason I picked for Czech goalie, things might have been a bit foggy at the time. LOL
    Possibly because Czech teams tend to have good team defensive play, and sometimes crazy good goalies.

I remember a poll (possibly ESPN or similar) for the 1998 Olympics, and they had various teams to pick as the winner, and had discussed the "serious contenders". All potential answers were worng, because somehow they didn't have nearly enough NHL talent. They had a lot of European players, but also Hasek, Jagr, Hedjuk and some others. If the defense plays solidly and the goalie is hot, you're in trouble.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Great games again today. I like that the officials are letting them play, not too many soft calls. Really impressed by the level of competition and all players skill levels is improving.

Dobber Sports Sage

Not really sure I understand the points for standings...

Switzerland sitting at 2 overtime wins for 5 points :S (As per hockey canada website)
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Genius

AUT v CAN reminds me of Ohio State vs Harvard (college football) or Brazil v Faro Islands (Soccer) or NYY vs LLWS winners. Love all the smug looks on those TSN experts getting pumped up for this slaughter. Oh well I guess it has to happen.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Sage

Canada is only allowed to score by doing the Michigan.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Deity

That was a big win for Canada. A few observations:

Wright is a beast in the face-off circle. They should have him killing penalties along with the PP.

Bedard had another amazing game. Ho-hum. Lol

Fabian Lysell looks really soft. It's like he's playing soccer; falling a lot looking for calls and with international referees, he gets them.

Speaking of international referees, man the calls are weak and those 5 minute majors are weak. I hate the international rules. I know, it happens every year, but holy, they are shite.

Lastly, nice to see a Canadian goalie show up. We'll done Milic. He was Canada's best penalty killer tonight, as you'd want.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Monster

The Legend of Connor Bedard continues to grow

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry