Thread: Letang Out Indefinitely

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Letang Out Indefinitely

Letang suffered a stroke on Monday and is out indefinitely. This is his 2nd stroke since 2014. They are confident there are no last effects, and Letang is "optimistic he'll be back on the ice soon".

He had his first stroke Jan29th 2014. He played Jan 27th 2014, then was off until April 9th 2014 where he played 22:30, then played 15 games after that to finish the season with a 2nd round loss to the Rangers.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Letang Out Indefinitely

He was gutsy coming back after his first stroke so I wonder if he'll be more cautious this time. Like Hextall said, he's a tough SOB. But he's also a son, husband, & father so that has to weigh heavily in his decision.

Dobber Sports Ninja

First and foremost, I'm just happy that Letang is alive and he should be able to return to the game he loves to play. Secondly, I'm going to have to replace him on a couple of my fantasy league teams! I believe he was already a certified Band-aid Boy, more to do with the style of hockey he plays than those pesky strokes, but damn, another stroke. That's tough to deal with mentally.

Ten years from now, I can see Letang playing a pick up game somewhere and some guy has a stroke and Letang is like "first time?".

Speedy recovery dude, your family, the Pens and my fantasty rosters (in that order) need you back.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Apprentice

It is a great blessing that Kris is aware of his body and knew that something was not right and reported it to the team medical officials right away and he got to the hospital. Right now, the main thing is to let the doctors do what they do best to get him back to health. Secondary, is worrying about when or if he will come back to play hockey. I understand Kris is a determined individual as that is evident from him coming back from this before, but he really needs to sit back and think about his family as well. I wish him the best in his recovery and hope for a full recovery.

Dobber Sports Pro

Man, a second stroke is scary. Wish him the best and hopes he makes the best decisions for himself and his family.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I didn't realize he had a prior stroke. He's an elite athlete, and had it young, so that makes recovery easier, but that would scare me a hell of a lot.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Titan

It was discovered in 2014 he had a very small hole in his heart since birth (called a Patent Foramen Ovale, PFO) and it's possible this defect is what caused his first stroke. Everyone is born with a hole in their heart, and it resembles a flap-like opening in the wall that separates the left and right atrium. It typically seals completely during infancy, but for 25% of people that opening never completely seals.

So because of this hole that isn't completely sealed, blood that normally enters the hearts right side and gets pumped to the lungs (where micro clots get filtered) the blood enters the left side of the heart without the micro-clots being filtered. Because of this, the clots get pumped through the arteries and this then results in a clot cutting off blood to the brain, aka a stroke.

Now it's rare that PFO causes a stroke, it is a a possible cause. For people under 45yrs old, a chance of a stroke is about 1 in 10,000. However, in about 45% of young adult stroke cases, where no other defect was found, experts found PFO.

The knowing his body is likely more knowing the symptoms from the 2014 stroke. He likely had dizziness and nausea (he said that's what caused him to get tested in 2014). The guys a multi-million dollar asset to the Penguins so I doubt he wasn't on some form of blood thinners to combat these micro-clots, but they might need to shake up his medication

Dobber Sports Titan

Also of note, Letang has played 962 games. To get 1,000 games this yr he needs to return by January 16th - ish.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Injuries happen everyday to these elite athletes, but this is a Stroke and not only that his 2nd one. That would scare the hell out of me. First, and the most important thing is a full recovery from this. Second, he needs to sit down with his family and discuss his future. Sometimes and as hard as it is for these athletes, you have to say enough is enough.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Kris Letang is skating in full gear with assistant coach Ty Hennes before Penguins morning skate, which is fantastic to see
    https://twitter.com/PensInsideScoop/...38692538109953

Truly unbelievable. I hope he does not rush his return, and that he makes a full recovery. From a fantasy perspective this is basically best news possible.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Titan

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much as it's reported that him being allowed to skate is more for his mental health than him getting back to playing.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Just found out the Letang is playing tonight! Wow. Found out too late to activate him in the two leagues I own him in!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Immortal

Leading the Penguins with 22:14 TOI. What a story.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Leading the Penguins with 22:14 TOI. What a story.
    Plus 7 hits!

Dobber Sports Padawan

I wonder if he had one of these...find it hard to fathom he had a regular stroke and things are back to normal so fast. I had a TIA 5 years ago...got real dizzy, left arm, hand, leg went dead, slurred my words. These symptoms were gone (wife did give me an aspirin) in about 5 minutes before the ambulance arrived. Spent 2 days in hospital, they did all kinds of tests. put me on HBP meds and sent me home with a clean bill of health. Felt fine when I got out and still do.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________

This is from the Mayo Clinic. Sorry, for some reason I'm not able to link to it.
    "A transient ischemic attack (TIA) is a temporary period of symptoms similar to those of a stroke. A TIA usually lasts only a few minutes and doesn't cause permanent damage.

Often called a ministroke, a TIA may be a warning. About 1 in 3 people who has a TIA will eventually have a stroke, with about half occurring within a year after the TIA.

A TIA can serve as both a warning of a future stroke and an opportunity to prevent it."
    SOME POOL RULES. Points only (G-1, A-1). One year Hybrid Pool. 3 round draft with balance of roster selected from any undrafted NHLer.. 19F 4 D 2 Rooks SALARIES AND POSITIONS DO NOT MATTER (other than being a F or D). NO Inter-Team Trading, Bench or Minors. Our WAIVER WIRE is ANY player in the NHL who is not Drafted in our league's 3 round draft. Each manager gets 6 ADD/DROPS (TRADES) for the year...any player on roster can be TRADED for any unDrafted F/D/R from ANY NHL team. INJURY RULE "IR". A hurt player can be replaced by another F/D from HIS NHL team and this is NOT considered a trade.. Injured player can be put back on team any time.