Thread: Harranguing Hronek

The Great One

Default Harranguing Hronek

So I think the biggest thing is we don't know what he is yet. I'm not ready to see he's an elite offensive dman but I am willing to say he's a very good one in that klingberg region. I'd that a fair judgment?

I offered bertuzzi and xhekaj for him. Ultimately I don't think it'll be enough with his current production. I used to own hronek lol! Is this just not a good player to invest in right now?

And here's a lesson for everyone blindly following what the forums say- this same forum beat it into my head that he as- what was the exact term "lukewarm gingerale"?? Now that's not to damn the whole forum- there's great posters and tons of very good advice BUT it should make you rethink things when you have a contrarian idea about a players worth or value. In the end its my fault- I had the asset since he was drafted- read countless scouting reports and then someone whose probably only had cursory glance at his NHL stats chimed in in a way that pleased the echo chamber (lol) and the drop hronek narrative began. I just read in a similar thread a commenter call nils lundqvist and kaiser guile two middle tier assets that won't amount to anything. Thats all well and good to say now- you sound brilliant but where are you gonna a be when they pull a hronek!!!! Lol I'm finding that damn thread...

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: Harranguing Hronek

I think Hronek can consistently get you 35-45 points a season. That’s pretty good considering he will be second fiddle and possibly 3rd option when Edvinsson comes in. Still has to break that 40 point mark and early on his periffs are poor. I like him and feel he can improve his stats but I don’t know if I’d be giving up too much to acquire him.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

The Great One

Hes on pace for like 80 so...

I'm not saying he's an 80 point dman but his scoring would have to wother to nothing to fall in the 35-4/ range. I think with market correction hes closer to a 50 point guy this year. The scary thing is nothing screams unsustainable right now outside of his shooting percentage which a) only adds 2 or 3 goals at this point anyways and b) is a career high at 12% but not too far out of whack from what is career average will probably be- my guess is the 6-8% range.

I think he's coming out as a very good dman to own quietly. I don't want to ruffle feathers but if he does put up elite level numbers this season we may have to re-think what he is going into next season.

Bottom line- i really feel like his 35-45 point days are behind him...

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    I think Hronek can consistently get you 35-45 points a season. That’s pretty good considering he will be second fiddle and possibly 3rd option when Edvinsson comes in. Still has to break that 40 point mark and early on his periffs are poor. I like him and feel he can improve his stats but I don’t know if I’d be giving up too much to acquire him.
    That's a good enough summary. He's a Sam Girard. Good production for a guy who's not the top option but still chips in regularly.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I am not here to harangue Hronek. Nice use of harangue, by the way.

I like Hronek, had him in a cap dynasty that folded after last year, and he was a key piece of my D on that team, which featured a mix of guys who got no respect at times (Weegar, Hronek) and guys who people thought were overpaid (Letang, Ekblad) so they had little value.

I view him as roughly 40ish point guy with solid peripherals. Anything extra is gravy. You need guys like that, especially if you can finding them before anyone else does. You can try for the combo of big points guys and the peripheral beasts, but getting a good amount both in the same player is very helpful, especially in a deep dynasty.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

Agree with assessments on Hronek. He’s seeing some elevated production this year so far because Seider is having a “learning” year and is seeing less PP ice time and Hronek is getting more. Seider will get the time back as he rounds into the complete elite D they want him to be.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Agree with assessments on Hronek. He’s seeing some elevated production this year so far because Seider is having a “learning” year and is seeing less PP ice time and Hronek is getting more. Seider will get the time back as he rounds into the complete elite D they want him to be.
    Bingo. He's absolutely rolling with the usage he's seeing. I dont think I'd offer Bertuzzi for him though....

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Bingo. He's absolutely rolling with the usage he's seeing. I dont think I'd offer Bertuzzi for him though....
    So you guys really buy that? You think he'll score 70 or whatever and then next yeR they'll say "ok thanks Filip but back to pp2 with you- Snider is ready no...". You k owbthats ridiculous right?? Thats not how real life works. Its incredibly difficult to score at that pace. The fact hes done even this much means we have to put hronek in a new category just on the merit of one quarter season. If he does it for 82 games your crazy to think he's a 35 point player next year. Do you have an example???

Man this hobby blows my mind sometimes. We really do need the bigwigs to tell us what we think don't we??? Haha this is literally funny.

Note to ramblings writers!! Maybe its time to let the masses know he's not a 35 point dman anymore??!!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    So you guys really buy that? You think he'll score 70 or whatever and then next yeR they'll say "ok thanks Filip but back to pp2 with you- Snider is ready no...". You k owbthats ridiculous right?? Thats not how real life works. Its incredibly difficult to score at that pace. The fact hes done even this much means we have to put hronek in a new category just on the merit of one quarter season. If he does it for 82 games your crazy to think he's a 35 point player next year. Do you have an example???

Man this hobby blows my mind sometimes. We really do need the bigwigs to tell us what we think don't we??? Haha this is literally funny.

Note to ramblings writers!! Maybe its time to let the masses know he's not a 35 point dman anymore??!!
    I mean you could of said the same thing about Seider before the season started and look where we are at now.

Not saying Hronek's production is or is not sustainable, but it be foolish to think he couldn't be usurped by Seider very easily.

They're both incredible talents.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post

I like Hronek. I think he's now a legit 40+ point D because the team will be better from here on in. With that being said there are tons of examples of D having a great season or seasons and then the next year dropping like fly's. Shattenkirk, Klingberg, Gostisbehere (until his recent resurgence),Erik Gustafsson (60 points one season).
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports All-Star

Until he proves otherwise, yes he’s a 40 ish point guy. Sure he’s having a very good season so far. You know what? Let’s say he has his career year and gets 50+ points, I still think he’s a 40ish point guy. He will have to prove it again next year that he belongs in a tier above where he’s projected. Just because he gets 50+ points this year doesn’t mean he’s going to consistently get that. Also, just because (so far) he hasn’t cracked the 40 point mark doesn’t mean he’s a sub 40 guy. So I think he’s somewhere in between with improvements across the board.

He’s only 25 and will have his moments, but a consistent 60-70 point guy? Sorry don’t see it. Could he flirt with 50+? Sure but I think that’s the ceiling. 35-45 points is fair with room for improvement. If I’m totally off base then if he becomes a consistent 50-60 point guy then a turd I will be. Good luck.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I like Hronek and Dobber mentioned in his guide that this is his breakout threshold year. He has a great shot. I think the problem is the switching back and forth from Seider to him on pp1. If he was secure in his spot on pp1, then I could see him hitting 55-60 the odd year (including this one). 44% of his points are on the pp so far this year. And bare in mind he's shooting at 13% this year which is 7.5% above average. I think 70 is asking a lot from what I have seen from him but I've been surprised before. Also, he turns the puck over more than I like in a dman, so depending on the coach, he might not always be trusted.

I personally don't mind giving up Bertuzzi for him if you need D. I'm not sure I trust Bertuzzi's long-term durability, with the way he plays the game. But if I was making that trade, I think I'd tell myself I'm getting a ~45 point dman, and anything more is gravy. Seider and Edvinsson are going to fight him for ice time, and they both have a ton of high-end potential.

Also, he is on a heater right now but Detroit's last six opponents have been L.A, Anaheim, San Jose, Nashville, Columbus and Arizona. 10 points in those 6 games. So i expect him to cool off.

Weekly H2H, Points Only, Keeper League - 10 team - Keep 14 (+ 2 rookies, under 25 GP) - dress 12 F, 6 D, 2 G (Wins: 2 pts, OTL: 1 pt, SO: 1 pt) - 30 Roster max w/ 1 IR spot which opens up one roster spot.

FW: Aho, Eichel, Draisatl, Rantanen, Marchand, Matthews, Kyrou, J. Robertson, Bergeron, Duchene, Boldy, Toffoli, Kempe, Krejci, Schmaltz

D: Rielly, Heiskenen, Dobson, Drysdale, Byram, Nurse, Weegar, Matheson, Clarke

G: Andersen, Georgiev, Francouz, Kotchetkov, Wallstedt

The Great One

Until he proves otherwise, yes he’s a 40 ish point guy. Sure he’s having a very good season so far. You know what? Let’s say he has his career year and gets 50+ points, I still think he’s a 40ish point guy. He will have to prove it again next year that he belongs in a tier above where he’s projected. Just because he gets 50+ points this year doesn’t mean he’s going to consistently get that. Also, just because (so far) he hasn’t cracked the 40 point mark doesn’t mean he’s a sub 40 guy. So I think he’s somewhere in between with improvements across the board.

He’s only 25 and will have his moments, but a consistent 60-70 point guy? Sorry don’t see it. Could he flirt with 50+? Sure but I think that’s the ceiling. 35-45 points is fair with room for improvement. If I’m totally off base then if he becomes a consistent 50-60 point guy then a turd I will be. Good luck.
    Yea not trying to call you a turd its just crazy to me. Hes always had offensive chops and hes basically a ppg right now. If we all agree he slow down significantly I feel like 60 is probably what he puts up. My point is IF he puts up 60 I think its crazy to think Detroit will just shuffle him off the pp to make room for seider- lol! Its incredibly difficult to hit 60.

Hronek has been more highly touted than Gustafson and hes almost a good example. He got overdrafts tons AFTER he had that season. I think it's safe to say Hroneks offense is much more sustainable than his was.

I think if you're considering him a 40 point ghy- you're asleep at the wheel a bit. I've been asleep on some guys- i laughed off a few Troy terry offers last year because I wasn't up to speed - it happens.

My advice is rather than trying to back a play you hadn't considered- id let your ego take a back seat and do a deeper dive on hronek. Tryimg to explain why you think he's still a 30 point guy probably won't age well imho...

Dobber Sports All-Star

Not at all saying he’s a lifer for 30. But somewhere in the 35-45 range especially on that team. He’s kind of over performing and that’s fine but be ready for a fall. I never said you called me a turd but if Hronek consistently gets 50-60 points for the foreseeable future, I’ll call myself a turd for not seeing it. And absolutely he gets shoved to the back of the bus if Seider is healthy and Edvinsson progresses. That’s if he’s still with Detroit by then. Any team could always use a 40 point Dman. Even “rebuilding” teams.

- Roy Kent

The Great One

Not at all saying he’s a lifer for 30. But somewhere in the 35-45 range especially on that team. He’s kind of over performing and that’s fine but be ready for a fall. I never said you called me a turd but if Hronek consistently gets 50-60 points for the foreseeable future, I’ll call myself a turd for not seeing it. And absolutely he gets shoved to the back of the bus if Seider is healthy and Edvinsson progresses. That’s if he’s still with Detroit by then. Any team could always use a 40 point Dman. Even “rebuilding” teams.
    I know I should have held despite the criticism if hronek but the deciding factor was plus minus. Our league not only counts it but weighs it heavily for dmen. If you remember last year there was a hronek watch lol- he was historically bad. A 40 point guy plays but not with that plus minus. Trading him was a mistake- Morrissey with a second should have been more than enough for blackwood- hronek was a "throw in" to get the deal done haha! So yea bla kwoods a train wreck anyways but thise two d men are on pace for like 150 points between them and he knocked Wyatt Johnston with my pick. Ugh it looks ugly...

But I did flip blackwood for petersen straight up and he still looks like he can pan out... maybe!