Thread: When to start worrying about Hedman?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default When to start worrying about Hedman?

Is it time to start worrying about him losing his spot to Sergachev? Hedman’s on a 6 game pointless streak and Serge has command of the PP1 role. I’ve always thought Serge was the future in Tampa, but thought it was a few years away until Hedman started to age out. Are we starting to see the eventual changing of the guards now though?
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: When to start worrying about Hedman?

I wouldn't worry about him, but I would say we have probably seen his pinnacle already, and now we get some very solid seasons for a few years before he drops down another notch. Hedman has not gotten worse at all IMO, but his role has changed a bit this year so far and I think that may be due to the loss of defensive depth in the form of Ryan McDonagh and Jan Rutta, and Erik Cernak getting hurt. I can see a scenario where TB gets back its D depth and then Hedman is back to being a top 5 producer again.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Hedman, other than Makar is and will big a top D producer. Just put him your your lineup and go.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Catfish On Ice View Post
    Hedman, other than Makar is and will big a top D producer. Just put him your your lineup and go.
    Here’s where I disagree. Roughly 50% of Hedman’s annual production comes from the PP. There’s a massive difference in talent (and TOI) between Tampa’s 1st and 2nd unit. If we really are at the point that Serge is being given the reigns to PP1, Hedman’s production is going to take a sizable hit. Let’s say his PP production drops 75%, that’s about 20-25 points, making him more like a 45 pt D man, than a 60+ pt D man.
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Dobber Sports Superstar

I've kept Hedman for prob 7 years now I would say we have to give some more time to see how things shake out. Like any dynastic squad, Tampa year after year gets less deep as players command more money. Serg is def their future no if ands or buts about it but I am willing to go down with the ship this year in the worst case scenario. After last season I did say if he falls off a cliff I can't be mad!

The Great One

Ye i heard this on keeping karlsson. Admittwdly I don't own him but I would not worry. Sometimes the season start just highlights some odd or erratic production and I've got to think that's the case here. In terms of the pp.

A- i think even if he were pp2 i think he's a safe bet for 50-55+ with beastly peripherals.

B- i don't really think sergachevs a real threat to take his spot for another couple seasons yet. And even if he does its likely because...

C- they're trying to bance out the talent and icetime on the second u it which TB can afford to do and hell get more minutes than your average pp2 stalwart

Dobber Sports Pro

It's only been 4 games with Sergachev on PP1. You can start worrying a little but I'd still hold a while and see where this goes. The Bolts usually try this once a year and while it's never for as long a stretch as it is now, it's still only 4 games. Give it a good month and if the signs aren't pointing up, then maybe start worrying more and look to move him to someone who thinks he'll bounce back. But I wouldn't.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by niconasr View Post
    It's only been 4 games with Sergachev on PP1. You can start worrying a little but I'd still hold a while and see where this goes. The Bolts usually try this once a year and while it's never for as long a stretch as it is now, it's still only 4 games. Give it a good month and if the signs aren't pointing up, then maybe start worrying more and look to move him to someone who thinks he'll bounce back. But I wouldn't.
    This is right, they give Sergachev a run like this each year, it seems. Of course, it'd be nice to get off the roller coaster before it breaks. But I think you need more data points before concluding that Hedman is indeed off PP1 as a semi-permanent move.