Thread: What to do with Byfield and Rossi?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default What to do with Byfield and Rossi?

All the league's info along with my team is in my signature. Right now, i'm in 9th so middle of the pack so far to start. What i've seriously been pondering is Byfield and Rossi and what I should do with them. The issue is that there's no minor spots in this league so I've been holding them for little to no production. I do believe in them long term, but I am curious on how long should my rope be for both of them? Guys on the wire C wise that I could get are guys like Newhook, Johnston who aren't doing incredible I suppose but have produced more to start the year. Am I being too impatient with both of them? Wish minor spots were a thing so I could just put both there and have more productive guys who still have a lot of upside too... Thanks for all your responses in advance, I will rep when I can.
    12 team deep keeper league, 17 main roster players, 5 prospect players, max 2 goalie keepers for the main roster. point breakdown goes as follows:
    Skaters:
    G is 4 points, 5.2 points for D goals. A is 2.5 points, 3.25 points for defense. 0.07 per FOW, 0.2 points for blocks, hits, and SOG 0.5 points for PIMS and +/-, 3 for SHG, 1.5 for SHA.
    Goalies:
    GS is 1.5 points, -1 for GA, 0.2 for SV, 4 for SHO, and 3 for W.
    Team:
    https://www.fantrax.com/fantasy/leag...gi/team/roster

The Great One

Default Re: What to do with Byfield and Rossi?

Without a minors system it was not a great call to count on production from these young players this year. Sometimes young guys hit but more often than not it takes time. Sounds like it’s time to decide to try and compete or hold and hope for production next year.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Without a minors system it was not a great call to count on production from these young players this year. Sometimes young guys hit but more often than not it takes time. Sounds like it’s time to decide to try and compete or hold and hope for production next year.
    This is right.

I would not count on Byfield or Rossi delivering starter production in a 14 team this year. Not that there's only one path, but Byfield being a big guy and having been drafted at the younger end of the draft year means that he will probably take a while to develop into usefulness, even as a 2nd overall pick. It wouldn't be shocking if he took a Tage Thompson amount of time to grow, to compare him to someone of similar size. What's the rule of thumb for big, tall forwards? 200 games until signs of development? 400? Byfield is at 46 NHL games at 20 years and 3 months old. I wouldn't count on Byfield to be a producer next year either. This is also a learning year for Rossi too; he needs to learn NHL speed and defense and whether he can truly play center at this level or shift to wing.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I think it also comes down to what you can pick up for them off the WW. Maybe if there is a Juuso Parssinen or Adam Ruzicka available you might grab them.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

You're either holding them due to the cheap cap hit long term, or moving on from them to get something, preferably in trade.

Do you have any albatross contracts you want to dump? If so, I'd try to move one of them as the sweetener to get rid of a bad contract. You can also look for picks, but if you go that route, don't look for young rookies. Europeans coming over would be fine.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    I see your viewpoint for sure, i've held both of them since they've been drafted, since my team was in a rebuilding state. Feel that i'm much closer to contention, but also want to give both Byfield and Rossi proper time to hopefully show some production at some level... Came into this year thinking next year after hopefully getting a high pick in the draft this offseason, I have a much stronger roster to compete with a year of growth from pretty much most of my roster.
    12 team deep keeper league, 17 main roster players, 5 prospect players, max 2 goalie keepers for the main roster. point breakdown goes as follows:
    Skaters:
    G is 4 points, 5.2 points for D goals. A is 2.5 points, 3.25 points for defense. 0.07 per FOW, 0.2 points for blocks, hits, and SOG 0.5 points for PIMS and +/-, 3 for SHG, 1.5 for SHA.
    Goalies:
    Team:

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    This is right.

I would not count on Byfield or Rossi delivering starter production in a 14 team this year. Not that there's only one path, but Byfield being a big guy and having been drafted at the younger end of the draft year means that he will probably take a while to develop into usefulness, even as a 2nd overall pick. It wouldn't be shocking if he took a Tage Thompson amount of time to grow, to compare him to someone of similar size. What's the rule of thumb for big, tall forwards? 200 games until signs of development? 400? Byfield is at 46 NHL games at 20 years and 3 months old. I wouldn't count on Byfield to be a producer next year either. This is also a learning year for Rossi too; he needs to learn NHL speed and defense and whether he can truly play center at this level or shift to wing.
    All your points on Byfield and Rossi are definitely on point, and both have missed a lot of development time due to either serious COVID complications or injuries which definitely doesn't help. Just really tough to hold both when I can probably get some good young guys off the wire who have probably a shorter runway to at least solid production. Still thinking i'm holding them the rest of the year and see how my roster shapes up for next year since I think next year I'll be ready to really start competing. But I would be lying if I haven't seriously considered dropping for guys like Newhook and Johnston.
    Skaters:
    Goalies:
    Team:

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Catfish On Ice View Post
    I think it also comes down to what you can pick up for them off the WW. Maybe if there is a Juuso Parssinen or Adam Ruzicka available you might grab them.
    Parssinen is available, up against Ruzicka this week. Johnston, Newhook, Parssinen all interest me C wise but maybe I should continue to show more patience. Especially since I will have three really great long term C's in Hughes, Petey, and Stutzle who have been great so far, so that could help with giving both Byfield and Rossi more leeway I suppose.
    Skaters:
    Goalies:
    Team:

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    You're either holding them due to the cheap cap hit long term, or moving on from them to get something, preferably in trade.

Do you have any albatross contracts you want to dump? If so, I'd try to move one of them as the sweetener to get rid of a bad contract. You can also look for picks, but if you go that route, don't look for young rookies. Europeans coming over would be fine.
    The only real issue I have is Jones' contract and i'll use my amnesty buyout on him so I guess the only two after Jones that could be an issue are Nurse and Heiskanen but both anchor my D core and Heiskanen has shown a lot more offensive juice with full PP1 reins. Bit concerned about the peripherals on Nurse not being as incredible as previous seasons so far but likely to hold since he still is doing good there with solid offense.
    Skaters:
    Goalies:
    Team:

Dobber Sports Deity

If you're contending now, maybe look at who's near the bottom and possibly looking to rebuild and see if you can't flip them for an asset that can help you now.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Personally, I think those guys are two of the highly-ranked prospects over the last couple years that will underwhelm the most compared to their hype. If I got a fair offer for either, I would move them.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

The Great One

I agree with Byfield. I think so much of his hype was due to size and I haven't found a quality that seems to let people down as often as size in the NHL lol! I'm also not sure being a big skill guy just magically adds 10-20 points of upside. Maybe it did with malkin but it seemsnlike the exception not the rule.

I disagree with Rossi. Hes crazy skilled and missing a full year of development would set anyone back. Its the same reason I've got so much time for shane wright when no one else seems to. You only get 4 years of junior so missing a full year would be highly impact full.