Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
    Ghana - Korea was one of the most entertaining matches I've seen so far.

Just love these "lesser" countries play their hearts out. So much passion for their country. Some of the top countries can learn a thing or two from that.
    Spain/Germany was actually a great match. Good chances on both sides and lots of creative play.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by random-d View Post
    Spain/Germany was actually a great match. Good chances on both sides and lots of creative play.
    I didn't get to see that one unfortunately. But that's good to hear!

Dobber Sports Initiate

Very happy Senegal made it through! Love the African nations and their passion.

Dobber Sports Titan

I very badly want USA to lose lol.

First time in this thread since the Sunday loss for Canada. Canada's midfielders were eaten up and Hutch was left in way too long. Canada had their opportunities to essentially win it in the first 20, but after that it was all Croatia, and losing the first game to Belgium forced them to open up a lot more going into teh 2nd half. Tough 2 games, but Canada can still go into the 3rd match head held high. However, if you're Bayren Munch, are you not telling Canada/Davies to not play hard? I'll be curious how that side of it goes as there's about 2-3 other Canadians who play in MLS about to be offered Euro deals.

Also Duthie saying the Davies goal was the pinnacle of Canadian Soccer while sitting beside a Gold Medal Canadian Female Soccer Olympian was such a slap in the face to Canadian Soccer lol. No idea what he was thinking. The Female Team could be argued as the reason why the Men's team is where it is.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ninja

Duthie was right but it's not "progressive" to say the quiet part out loud when it comes to comparing men and women sports.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Duthie was right but it's not "progressive" to say the quiet part out loud when it comes to comparing men and women sports.
    I still think winning an Olympic Gold is better than a goal when the OG comes before the goal. And the Canadian Men's coach was the women's coach. The amount of fans that started following soccer in Canada jumped with the women's team succeeding and TFC's 3yr stretch run. But I can see the debate between the two for an International audience and how the camera is bigger for the Men's World Cup.

But it's still such a weird thing to say if it's up for a debate with Janine Beckie right there lol. I just heard that and was like...does he know who's beside him? Ruthless if that's his stance lol. "this one goal in a 4-1 loss was bigger than your entire women's history that includes an Olympic Gold Medal and heading into the elimination round of the Women's World Cup"

Dobber Sports Genius

I don’t like Duthie doing anything soccer/football related. But I guess when there’s cuts then he’s gotta be willing to do anything. I agree his statement was a bit much but expected with all the hype. Whatever happens, Canada had a good WC and has a good footing for 2026.

So much at stake for this US v Iran game. I’m rooting for the US just because of Concacaf. Wales should get smacked by England, who shouldn’t play the regs too much.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Initiate

Netherlands - USA
    England - Senegal

both will be difficult matches. I expect England/Netherlands to advance, but can easily see Senegal and USA capable of an upset.

Exciting times these knock out stages.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
    Netherlands - USA
    England - Senegal

both will be difficult matches. I expect England/Netherlands to advance, but can easily see Senegal and USA capable of an upset.

Exciting times these knock out stages.
    The USA success against the Netherlands all stems on not allowing them to surge out to a lead early. If the Netherlands get up 1-0 they will go into a more defensive style of play and the USA will be forced to play a more attack style play which could then open up lapses in the defense and more chances for the Netherlands to score even more.

If the USA keep the game at 0-0 for the majority of the game that will really benefit them. This could then lead to anything to happen off a Corner Kick or something else.

Dobber Sports Titan

Saudi vs Mexico and Argentina vs Poland today. Anyone can move on in that group, even Mexico who sits at 1pt I think can still make it in depending on Goal Diff.

Then you have France vs Tunisia and Australia vs Denmark. I doubt France loses, but they already have moved on, if Tunisia can sneak a win...But France's backups are still ridiculous.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Saudi vs Mexico and Argentina vs Poland today. Anyone can move on in that group, even Mexico who sits at 1pt I think can still make it in depending on Goal Diff.

Then you have France vs Tunisia and Australia vs Denmark. I doubt France loses, but they already have moved on, if Tunisia can sneak a win...But France's backups are still ridiculous.
    Should think Mexico and Argentina to move on,as well as France and Australia.

Dobber Sports Genius

I'll go the other way. This Mexico team is probably one of the worst ever put on the field. (Mexican wise) I really feel the crowd will be behind the Saudis and they should get enough to go through. As for Poland, I think Argentina is ripe for another upset, so I'll say Lewandowski has the type of game he's capable of. Probably farfetched but hey, let's see what happens.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Titan

I feel like Ochoa will need to steal a goal away for Mexico to win. It'll be fun the mid-game strategy changes depending on scores between the Saudi/Mexico and Poland/Argentina games.

Dobber Sports Titan

So the US Soccer Federation briefly displayed the Iranian flag without the emblem of the Islamic Republic on it, saying the move supports protesters in Iran. Iran state-affiliated media Tasnim said on Sunday they want the US kicked out of the World Cup for racism after they removed the emblem. This was a few days ago, prior to the USA vs Iran game, and I'm sure the Iranian's fate of getting knocked out of the tournament influenced the penalty wanted for the US Soccer Team. But we've seen FIFA punish Croatia for what the fans were doing to the Canadian Keeper, I wonder if FIFA will do anything to the USSF.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-s...pport-protests

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    So the US Soccer Federation briefly displayed the Iranian flag without the emblem of the Islamic Republic on it, saying the move supports protesters in Iran. Iran state-affiliated media Tasnim said on Sunday they want the US kicked out of the World Cup for racism after they removed the emblem. This was a few days ago, prior to the USA vs Iran game, and I'm sure the Iranian's fate of getting knocked out of the tournament influenced the penalty wanted for the US Soccer Team. But we've seen FIFA punish Croatia for what the fans were doing to the Canadian Keeper, I wonder if FIFA will do anything to the USSF.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-s...pport-protests
    Countries need to leave politics off the field. Iran is using the team to push their political agenda and so is the US. Both need to stop and understand it's a game and to enjoy it. Players from both countries understand this and were very amicable towards each other. Too bad journalists from each side continue to stoke the fire. Just like the world was looking to all the players to speak up about the horrors of Qatar like 2 weeks before the kickoff. The world had years to officially complain but dragged their ass and put it on the players.

Let the players play, as if they don't have enough pressure on them already. Follow the money and it's easy to see it's a FIFA thing.

- Roy Kent