Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup

Dobber Sports Titan

Default World Cup

Qatar World Cup is starting soon and there's going to be a bunch of stuff flying around about the off-field stuff. It kinda reminds me of the Brazil Olympics where it was controversial going with the host country (for different reasons). Here's a good video on how Qatar bribed their way into hosting. However, for a Canadian who got into soccer a couple of years ago it's pretty exciting.

First game is Sunday Nov 20, 11am between Qatar and Ecuador.
    Some of the top first games (EST):
    England vs Iran Nov 21 @ 8am
    USA vs Wales Nov 21 @2pm
    Argentina vs Saudi Arabia Nov 22 @ 5am
    France vs Australia Nov 22 @2pm

Canada's schedule:
    Canada vs Belgium Wed Nov 23 @2pm
    Canada vs Croatia Sun Nov 27 @11am
    Canada vs Morocco Thurs Dec 1 @10am

Canada has a legit shot to be 2nd in this group. Croatia, Morocco and Canada are all very close in talent. I personally put a bet on the correct standing of Group F of Belgium, Canada, Croatia, Morocco.

Should be a fun tournament aside from the whole location of it. I'm excited as a Canadian, and I hope at the least we score 1 goal (didn't score a goal in 1986)
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: World Cup

I just finished watching the first episode of the FIFA Uncovered documentary on Netflix. Very interesting and not surprising, a very corrupt organization. Cant wait to watch the rest of it. Very timely release on Netflix's behalf. Lots of news about the workers in Qatar and how they were treated in the news as well.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Vai Brasil! and Canada!
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Ninja

While I would love to see Canada make it to round 2, I think it would be a surprise if it wasn't Belgium and Croatia moving on. Of course, I'll be cheering for the Canadian side, but don't want to get my hopes up.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Initiate

Canada is not even close to being on same talent level as Croatia. Even Morocco is better. They be lucky to score a goal, but I doubt it.

Canada is there for a cup of coffee and something to build on for 2026

Dobber Sports Initiate

I think Argentina is the country to beat this time

Brazil England and the Dutch are decent

I expect portugal france germany to bow out early.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Canada has a legit shot to be 2nd in this group. Croatia, Morocco and Canada are all very close in talent. I personally put a bet on the correct standing of Group F of Belgium, Canada, Croatia, Morocco.

Should be a fun tournament aside from the whole location of it. I'm excited as a Canadian, and I hope at the least we score 1 goal (didn't score a goal in 1986)
    Love your enthusiasm, but Canada is not on par with Croatia. They were in the final in 2018. Canada has very little chance at progressing. I see the pool going like this: Croatia, Belguim, Morocco, Canada.

Dobber Sports Initiate

great first real day of action

England looked real good
    Netherlands struggled mightily against Senegal despite the win

I didn't get to watch Wales/USA but that practically was a must win for either team to set themselves up nicely. Interesting to see who will take 2nd place in the England group.

Dobber Sports All-Star

England always has high hopes to "bring it home" but somehow fail to deliver. Other teams find ways to win while they find ways to lose. As for who I think will be the front runners:

Top 3

Brasil
    Argentina
    Germany

Portugal as my dark horse if Ronaldo has his head screwed on right. I actually think Canada will score at this tourney and probably come away with some points. Go Canada!
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Titan

Argentina stunned with a 2-1 loss to Saudi Arabia. So Argentina is ranked #3 (1,773.88pts) and Saudi Arabia is ranked #51st (1,437.78pts). Qatar (#50) is ranked higher than Saudi Arabia.

Argentina's 36 game unbeaten streak was snapped. They were 1 game away from tying the all-time record. And they lose for the first time in the World Cup when Messi scores.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
    Canada is not even close to being on same talent level as Croatia. Even Morocco is better. They be lucky to score a goal, but I doubt it.

Canada is there for a cup of coffee and something to build on for 2026
    Have you seen Canada play? I imagine not. If Davies is relatively healthy they should be favorites over Morocco. Croatia and Belgium a whole other story of course. Croatia due to their still excellent midfield with Modric, and Belgium due to talismanic DeBruyne and best keeper in the world Courtois. But I guarantee you neither of those teams is taking Canada lightly. They are well-coached, have a terrific transition / counter-attack game, some vastly underrated striking ability (David and Larin), and an excellent keeper.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Titan

Even a draw vs Belgium turns Group F on it's head. Just look at Group C now.

Honestly, I can't wait to watch Davies, it's been a while for him. I think his last game for Canada was Nov 2021

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Have you seen Canada play? I imagine not. If Davies is relatively healthy they should be favorites over Morocco. Croatia and Belgium a whole other story of course. Croatia due to their still excellent midfield with Modric, and Belgium due to talismanic DeBruyne and best keeper in the world Courtois. But I guarantee you neither of those teams is taking Canada lightly. They are well-coached, have a terrific transition / counter-attack game, some vastly underrated striking ability (David and Larin), and an excellent keeper.
    Dude, I watch a lot of soccer including Canada games. You gotta understand that Canada plays in an extremely easy qualifying group. Canada has Davies and a bunch of mediocre players. Morocco has some real firepower in their squad. If you think Canada is better than Morocco then I don't think you follow soccer closely.

that said, sure Canada could beat any of the 3 teams. Just look at Argentina's loss today. Anything can happen. However, based on odds and probabilities, Canada stands little to no chance to advancing to the next round.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
    Dude, I watch a lot of soccer including Canada games. You gotta understand that Canada plays in an extremely easy qualifying group. Canada has Davies and a bunch of mediocre players. Morocco has some real firepower in their squad. If you think Canada is better than Morocco then I don't think you follow soccer closely.

that said, sure Canada could beat any of the 3 teams. Just look at Argentina's loss today. Anything can happen. However, based on odds and probabilities, Canada stands little to no chance to advancing to the next round.
    Canada's measuring stick games were always vs Mexico and USA (who is a very young team) where Canada went 3W-2T-3L against over their CONCACAF/WC Qual games (since 2019). Everyone else aren't World Cup material.

Morocco is good, but Canada and them are really close. I'd say Canada's biggest advantage vs them is star power, which Morocco doesn't have over Canada. So Davies/David really need to perform vs them. Honestly this whole Group can go any way if Canada lets say does the unthinkable and beats Belgium. Even a Tie just tosses the whole thing up for grabs. This is one of the tighter Groups of the Tourney.

Belgium beats Canada 3-1 is my guess though.
    1-1 vs Croatia
    2-1 vs Morocco

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Canada's measuring stick games were always vs Mexico and USA (who is a very young team) where Canada went 3W-2T-3L against over their CONCACAF/WC Qual games (since 2019). Everyone else aren't World Cup material.

Morocco is good, but Canada and them are really close. I'd say Canada's biggest advantage vs them is star power, which Morocco doesn't have over Canada. So Davies/David really need to perform vs them. Honestly this whole Group can go any way if Canada lets say does the unthinkable and beats Belgium. Even a Tie just tosses the whole thing up for grabs. This is one of the tighter Groups of the Tourney.

Belgium beats Canada 3-1 is my guess though.
    1-1 vs Croatia
    2-1 vs Morocco
    Morocco has no starpower? I guess that's where this conversation stops then. Maybe do some research on Morocco's team.

Canada has 1 player at a top club (Bayern),
    Morocco has 3 players at top clubs (bayern, psg, chelsea),
    I get it, Canada is at the world cup and everyone is excited, but you guys gotta actually be joking if you think Canada has a legit chance of advancing. They are not a good team in a extremely weak qualifying group. Outside Davies they have no stars.

temper your expectations or you guys might be grossly disappointed by next week.