Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ian Cole suspended By Lightning

The Great One

Default Re: Ian Cole suspended By Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Literally nobody was hurt by Ian Cole missing a couple games of hockey. Suspending him was the right call and should be done. What if someone does it to a star player in a key game? What a sad life that person has and said star player should still be suspended pending an investigation. Allegations like this are far more serious than some silly little rubber puck and stick game.
    This is incorrect. I wager you’d feel differently if someone you know was accused of something rather gross by an anonymous recently created social media account. That is not how this works. There are a number of ways someone can come forward with allegations of this sort that are credible and anonymous. This is not one of them. You can argue the point in any self righteous way you wish, but any reasonable person sees this for what it is. So do us all a favor and take your holier than thou act elsewhere. We’re over it.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    This is incorrect. I wager you’d feel differently if someone you know was accused of something rather gross by an anonymous recently created social media account. That is not how this works. There are a number of ways someone can come forward with allegations of this sort that are credible and anonymous. This is not one of them. You can argue the point in any self righteous way you wish, but any reasonable person sees this for what it is. So do us all a favor and take your holier than thou act elsewhere. We’re over it.
    Some people will say anything to argue, even if they dont believe it. Innocent until proven guilty is how our society is supposed to function but, well, now that everyone has a voice and theyre all important (how it is, im not a fan) we are have put ourselves in a vulnerable place where anyone can potentially get royally F’d.

“raytroller touched my dangly bits”. Im sure you wouldnt just accept what happens next. Why arent you banned yet.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Literally nobody was hurt by Ian Cole missing a couple games of hockey. Suspending him was the right call and should be done. What if someone does it to a star player in a key game? What a sad life that person has and said star player should still be suspended pending an investigation. Allegations like this are far more serious than some silly little rubber puck and stick game.
    This is not about a rubber biscuit and some sticks this is about random twitter posts accusing someone of very vulgar conduct and now we’d rather interrupt someone’s life based on a baseless, factless accusation. I agree with other posters here that there are legit anonymous ways to bring genuine allegations to light. Nobody should be forced to stop their vocation based on a twitter post. There needs to be evidence and if the investigation brings up evidence then institute a suspension. I’ve seen you hating on hockey before on this site. I honestly don’t know why you have an account on a blog site about a sport you seem to hate.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    Some people will say anything to argue, even if they dont believe it. Innocent until proven guilty is how our society is supposed to function
    This is true but when they arrest someone for a crime, they still put them in jail until their day in court. The person charged with the crime does not get to roam around freely until they are proven guilty. That makes no sense.

If the accusation was completely wild with no reason to believe that it could have occurred then Tampa Bay would have been excused for not immediately suspending the player. In this case, the accusation was towards Ian Cole who has a history of questionable sexual behaviour, TB had a reason to believe that the accusation was possibly true. They let the NHL "investigate" over a few days and when the NHL decided that they had heard nothing to carry on, then Tampa Bay reinstated him. Tampa Bay did exactly what they should have done. The NHL started to do what they should do in investigate. The NHL is messing up when they are closing the investigation after going through the motions. Ian Cole should be reinstated but the NHL should continue its investigations for two reasons:

1) To actually talk to the accuser either to help them get the resolution they need
    2) To find the accuser so they can help a member of the NHLPA get vindication

The fact that the NHL considers this matter closed is just another slap in the face to all victims.

Dobber Sports Titan

I do not trust the skills of the investigator/organization who decided that Evander Kane deserved no punishment for falsifying a gov't document (COVID Vaccination Card). It was the same investigator who did this investigation.

However, from an NHL standpoint I still stand by they did the right thing. From an NHLPA thing, they didn't make a comment on the process until after the investigation which is calculated. If they were truly upset with the process and not the outcome, they'd say something prior to the end of it.

But whatever, it's union stuff. I still personally prefer to hold a player out while you investigate a possible illegal act. It's something the risk of upsetting the player vs the risk of employing a criminal any longer is not worth the difference to me. Especially the crime committed in the time we are in hockey with how many sponsors dropped Hockey Canada due to not dealing with an issue properly. Tampa protected themselves.

I will prefer to live in this type of world than a world that prioritizes winning over doing the right thing. And if this is a legit baseless claim, Ian Cole can sue for slander (or whatever it's called) if he decides too I'm sure.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I will prefer to live in this type of world than a world that prioritizes winning over doing the right thing. And if this is a legit baseless claim, Ian Cole can sue for slander (or whatever it's called) if he decides too I'm sure.
    This isn't about winning. Think if the person was instead a firefighter or a doctor etc and you do this?
    An incident happens and now someone dies because, with the shortage, there just wasn't someone to give him the medical attention needed for them to live.
    There's proper avenues to come forth, even anonymously, and twitter isn't one of them.

"In addition, despite attempts by the League to make contact with the anonymous source of the social media post, those efforts were unsuccessful."
    You can track the twitter post by IP, but if it was made at a public wireless point or using VPN, it will be pretty hard to track them down, when they don't want to come forward.
    This puts a halt on any defamation lawsuit.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    This isn't about winning. Think if the person was instead a firefighter or a doctor etc and you do this?
    An incident happens and now someone dies because, with the shortage, there just wasn't someone to give him the medical attention needed for them to live.
    There's proper avenues to come forth, even anonymously, and twitter isn't one of them.

"In addition, despite attempts by the League to make contact with the anonymous source of the social media post, those efforts were unsuccessful."
    You can track the twitter post by IP, but if it was made at a public wireless point or using VPN, it will be pretty hard to track them down, when they don't want to come forward.
    This puts a halt on any defamation lawsuits.
    The "what if this was a doctor" argument can also be made the opposite direction. If you were going into a checkup with a doctor that did what Ian Cole was accused of doing, would you want that doctor there or someone else? What about a teacher or an employee of a school? Would you be comfortable with them at the school around kids while that accusation is out there? We're talking about a hockey player that was accused of grooming someone under 18 with sponsorships on the line for Tampa. We're not talking about life and death situation with a doctor on a battlefield. This stuff is not a black and white scenario.

I read somewhere that you can subpoena Twitter to get that info, or get a court order (I believe there separate operations to get to the same end?). There's steps, but the league didn't really want to get into it, where I understand kind of from their standpoint. They'll talk to people who want to talk, if the Twitter user doesn't want to cooperate, then it's up to them. The league did what they did under their control when it came to the investigation. However this is also a sport that did investigations in the past on stuff and denied the bad (Concussions, Blackhawks, teams doing "due diligence" on drafted players). So, I'm still skeptical with their findings, but they did more than legally required which is a start (shrug emoji)

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    The "what if this was a doctor" argument can also be made the opposite direction. If you were going into a checkup with a doctor that did what Ian Cole was accused of doing, would you want that doctor there or someone else? What about a teacher or an employee of a school? Would you be comfortable with them at the school around kids while that accusation is out there? We're talking about a hockey player that was accused of grooming someone under 18 with sponsorships on the line for Tampa. We're not talking about life and death situation with a doctor on a battlefield. This stuff is not a black and white scenario.

I read somewhere that you can subpoena Twitter to get that info, or get a court order (I believe there separate operations to get to the same end?). There's steps, but the league didn't really want to get into it, where I understand kind of from their standpoint. They'll talk to people who want to talk, if the Twitter user doesn't want to cooperate, then it's up to them. The league did what they did under their control when it came to the investigation. However this is also a sport that did investigations in the past on stuff and denied the bad (Concussions, Blackhawks, teams doing "due diligence" on drafted players). So, I'm still skeptical with their findings, but they did more than legally required which is a start (shrug emoji)
    We are talking about precedence. If we are going to start putting that much stock in something said by someone on a troll account on the internet hiding behind their screen, there will be no one left working.

You can subpoena Twitter all you want, but it's very likely that isn't going to help you find the person... since they want to remain anonymous they likely went through steps to ensure they remained that way - VERY easy.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Titan

We are talking about precedence. If we are going to start putting that much stock in something said by someone on a troll account on the internet hiding behind their screen, there will be no one left working.

You can subpoena Twitter all you want, but it's very likely that isn't going to help you find the person. Since they want to remain anonymous they likely went through steps to ensure they remained that way.
    Are you arguing about society in general or how the NHL team handled this? I'm more talking about the NHL and a public figure. If we're talking about society, there's very few employers I would think would do this to the average-joe.

I think this is where people are getting wires crossed in arguments. I'll be worried about our society in regards to this when a bank teller at CIBC gets held off shift for a claim made on social media by someone. That's me personally.

I also have a feeling Ian Cole's history influenced this. His personality said by users on reddit, his public affair, likely his reputation in locker rooms. This is just my hunch, I think I've said it in other posts so don't take this as actual evidence, but maybe stuff like that influenced Tampa's decision.

Like I said, if you're arguing about where you think this could lead too instead of how Tampa handled this, then we have a totally different argument I won't spend the energy on as I understand the "not wanting it to happen" side more, but I still don't get it. And that's something we won't deal with here.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Some people will say anything to argue, even if they dont believe it. Innocent until proven guilty is how our society is supposed to function but, well, now that everyone has a voice and theyre all important (how it is, im not a fan) we are have put ourselves in a vulnerable place where anyone can potentially get royally F’d.

“raytroller touched my dangly bits”. Im sure you wouldnt just accept what happens next. Why arent you banned yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerCat View Post
    This is not about a rubber biscuit and some sticks this is about random twitter posts accusing someone of very vulgar conduct and now we’d rather interrupt someone’s life based on a baseless, factless accusation. I agree with other posters here that there are legit anonymous ways to bring genuine allegations to light. Nobody should be forced to stop their vocation based on a twitter post. There needs to be evidence and if the investigation brings up evidence then institute a suspension. I’ve seen you hating on hockey before on this site. I honestly don’t know why you have an account on a blog site about a sport you seem to hate.
    This guy finally showed all the accounts he has. About time. I'm sure this isn't all of them but it's a start.

- - - Updated - - -

You can subpoena Twitter all you want, but it's very likely that isn't going to help you find the person... since they want to remain anonymous they likely went through steps to ensure they remained that way - VERY easy.
    Oh totally we just have a cascading waterfall of random SA allegations happening daily across all social media platforms.

You can happily leave if you like, would improve a lot of threads if you did. Unfortunately you can't force others to leave. Act as you wish but this silly request is denied.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Oh totally we just have a cascading waterfall of random SA allegations happening daily across all social media platforms.
    Are you trying to make the point that because they are are not extremely common that they are therefore factual?

If so - I have only seen one such allegation on this forum... does that make it factual as well?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Apprentice

This guy finally showed all the accounts he has. About time. I'm sure this isn't all of them but it's a start.

- - - Updated - - -

Or, and this is crazy, but just hear me out, perhaps your ideas are awful and any rational person would disagree. Just throwing it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Are you trying to make the point that because they are are not extremely common that they are therefore factual?

If so - I have only seen one such allegation on this forum... does that make it factual as well?
    I truly don't know how anyone with even a sliver of a brain could come to that conclusion, which leads to only one other option.

I was clearly pointing out that the idea that if we took every allegation seriously nobody would be left to work is insane, due to the complete lack of these type of occurrences.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DangerCat View Post
    Or, and this is crazy, but just hear me out, perhaps your ideas are awful and any rational person would disagree. Just throwing it out there.
    Whatever you say tweetdrivr

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I truly don't know how anyone with even a sliver of a brain could come to that conclusion, which leads to only one other option.

I was clearly pointing out that the idea that if we took every allegation seriously nobody would be left to work is insane, due to the complete lack of these type of occurrences.

- - - Updated - - -

Whatever you say tweetdrivr
    Well I guess it’s time for me to make another account. I’ve been found out. I’ll be back….not all the usernames have been taken mwahahaha 😏