Default Ian Cole suspended By Lightning

Amid sexual abuse allegations

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Re: Ian Cole suspended By Lightning

yup, I just got banned from HF boards again from this thread lol

Dobber Sports Star

*grooming and sexual abuse with an underage girl

this plus the rumours that he cheated on his wife with the Canes Host/Reporter (who was engaged) at the time is not a good summer for Ian Cole.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Monster

Link to a story
    https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...t-allegations/

Troubling allegations.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Icon

The whole Abby Labar thing alone is enough to consider this guy garbage - guy cheats multiple times on wife who supported him through career-threatening injury, and with a 2-year old. Now this? What scum. I get the innocent until proven guilty thing but it doesn’t sound out of character, and if there’s any truth that this, the repercussions should be severe.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    The whole Abby Labar thing alone is enough to consider this guy garbage - guy cheats multiple times on wife who supported him through career-threatening injury, and with a 2-year old. Now this? What scum. I get the innocent until proven guilty thing but it doesn’t sound out of character, and if there’s any truth that this, the repercussions should be severe.
    I read that her fiance broke off the engagement at the wedding rehearsal dinner

Dobber Sports Deity

Safe to say if this is proven, he will be made an example of. It still has to be proven though.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Tampa made the right move by suspending him while this investigation goes on.

However, hockey culture still isn't strong enough because the guy apparently bragged to teammates about his behaviour. Think about a co-worker coming to you and bragging about doing high school kids.

From the NHL aspect though, we have Jared Maples (NHLs Chief Security Officer) is conducting an in-person interview with Cole on Wednesday. This is the same person who interviewed E.Kane about his stuff and concluded that no suspension was required for him.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post

However, hockey culture still isn't strong enough because the guy apparently bragged to teammates about his behaviour. Think about a co-worker coming to you and bragging about doing high school kids.

So true. I remember growing up that locker room talk was always considered sacred ground... I'm sure that culture only gets stronger as the level of play advances.

There needs to be more action when it comes to holding people accountable for being decent human beings.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    So true. I remember growing up that locker room talk was always considered sacred ground... I'm sure that culture only gets stronger as the level of play advances.

There needs to be more action when it comes to holding people accountable for being decent human beings.
    There was that reporter who apparently leaked the Thornton audio clip when he was with SJS about what he'd do if he scored 5goals. That also makes me wonder what reporters know things that choose to stay silent to keep the status quo and their jobs.

Coaches, trainers, reporters, GMs...they are all around this stuff. You talk to any teacher, they know the gossip of the kids. There's no way coaches don't know stuff is up with their players. Maybe they don't know the exact details, but that's their choosing to not dig deeper.

I dunno. I like where this is all going, but I've seen this song and dance before. It'll get better, but the hockey world will still prioritize winning over peoples health, safety, and well being.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I’ve only seen the twitter post from an anonymous user. I’m in no way standing up for Ian Cole as from this cheating scandal I don’t see something like this being far from the truth. However is it not odd that an anonymous twitter post is getting him suspended? Does anyone know if there is validity behind the post’s statement? I mean for all we know it could be Brad Marchand trolling because he doesn’t want to play against cole. Again I say that to be a bit lighthearted, though there is nothing light about these accusations. But my concern is that anyone anywhere can make a twitter post and could shut down anyone without any real evidence. Does anyone know if there is evidence for these allegations like other NHL players speaking out etc? Thank you all.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by DangerCat View Post
    I’ve only seen the twitter post from an anonymous user. I’m in no way standing up for Ian Cole as from this cheating scandal I don’t see something like this being far from the truth. However is it not odd that an anonymous twitter post is getting him suspended? Does anyone know if there is validity behind the post’s statement? I mean for all we know it could be Brad Marchand trolling because he doesn’t want to play against cole. Again I say that to be a bit lighthearted, though there is nothing light about these accusations. But my concern is that anyone anywhere can make a twitter post and could shut down anyone without any real evidence. Does anyone know if there is evidence for these allegations like other NHL players speaking out etc? Thank you all.
    That’s why there’s an investigation triggered. In this day and age it’s absolutely the right move to suspend him pending that.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    That’s why there’s an investigation triggered. In this day and age it’s absolutely the right move to suspend him pending that.
    What happened innocent until proven guilty? Again I don’t think highly of Ian Cole but a random twitter accusation could be made by anyone about anything and now people are going to be shut down for it? Doesn’t seem right. There must be more to this case than just an anonymous twitter post

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by DangerCat View Post
    What happened innocent until proven guilty? Again I don’t think highly of Ian Cole but a random twitter accusation could be made by anyone about anything and now people are going to be shut down for it? Doesn’t seem right. There must be more to this case than just an anonymous twitter post
    The team has suspended him with pay, not the league. A team can do this and he's not innocent or guilty yet in the eyes of the team. They're investigating it. Cole's history likely makes it easier for the team to do this, and maybe his personality. If MAF was at the center of this, they might not be as quick to suspend him with pay.

And you're right, anyone can do this. And no one made the team suspend Cole, they chose to. I don't think there's anything wrong with the handling of this case so far, and it should be really the way it goes when it comes to an athlete.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    The team has suspended him with pay, not the league. A team can do this and he's not innocent or guilty yet in the eyes of the team. They're investigating it. Cole's history likely makes it easier for the team to do this, and maybe his personality. If MAF was at the center of this, they might not be as quick to suspend him with pay.

And you're right, anyone can do this. And no one made the team suspend Cole, they chose to. I don't think there's anything wrong with the handling of this case so far, and it should be really the way it goes when it comes to an athlete.
    I don’t think it’s wrong to be cautious however it just seems hasty. I mean as an Edmonton fan when we play Calgary can I post something about huberdeau so he gets team suspended? I mean it is setting a precedent that is going to get a lot of people sidelined for baseless accusations. That’s in part why I want to know if the NHL or Tampa knows some other info which I feel they must to take this action, and if anyone has read that perhaps a former teammate confirmed this or coach or whoever. I don’t like the direction this is headed if baseless accusations can ruin a persons name/reputation/career (not that Cole had a great reputation).