Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anybody subscribed to Sportsnet streaming?

Dobber Sports Star

Default Anybody subscribed to Sportsnet streaming?

Again thinking about cutting the cord. Anybody subscribe? I would want to watch every Oiler game if possible preferably streaming through my Xbox One. Anybody do this? What's the quality like? And do you get every Sportsnet channel?

Thanks
    Rylant

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Anybody subscribed to Sportsnet streaming?

Yes. I subbed to Premium. But if you live in the oilers region you would get the oilers games on SNNow standard. As a Sens fan in Sask I had no option to watch them all.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by finnys_fanatsy View Post
    Yes. I subbed to Premium. But if you live in the oilers region you would get the oilers games on SNNow standard. As a Sens fan in Sask I had no option to watch them all.
    How is the quality? And the app? And do you get access to all of the channels or is it just 1 channel?

Thanks,
    Rylant

Dobber Sports Legend

In the States I have the ESPN+ app for the hockey. The quality has been great... most games look better than the games on NHL Network HD TV.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Again thinking about cutting the cord. Anybody subscribe? I would want to watch every Oiler game if possible preferably streaming through my Xbox One. Anybody do this? What's the quality like? And do you get every Sportsnet channel?

Thanks
    Rylant
    I have sn now premium since nhllive was cancelled in july for canadians . Its 179$ for me because I was a fmr nhllive custumer (incentive offered)but I think theres an earlybird special of 199$ currently for new subs .

I watched many of the banked isles games from their 21-22 season vault and jays games without much issue . I think you will get 1080p quality through Xbox so thats a bonus as some devices like firesticks only pump out 720p.

if your only interested in oiler games I'm fairly certain sn has the regional rights to all games unless televised nationally so you probably just need the basic pkg instead of sn now ''premium''

Dobber Sports Titan

I use Sportsnet NOW through my parents cable log in. It's a free feature, and I get to watch Leafs games and I'm in the Hamilton area (regional). The quality is 720p likely, but the stream is solid with no jumps, and rarely drops in quality.

The app is solid for casting to a google chromecast, or just to watch. It's quick to load. It's pretty solid considering it's coming from a corporate company likely not wanting people to cut cable. I don't mind the quality at all, but my fiance brother is OCD with quality and he can't stand it.

What I would suggest doing (What I do), is cut cable, and buy a cheap computer tower off like Kijiji or FB Marketplace. I have wireless keyboard, mouse, and just have it hooked up to my TV. I stream everything through the computer. I use NHL66 stream site for it. I'm not signed into any google account or anything like that on the tower, however I don't know the deep security threat I'm really in lol. I rather spend the $200/yr on better internet than to buy a subscription for somewhere. However, I do need to split a DAZN service since the streams for NFL are laggy.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Icon

How is the quality? And the app? And do you get access to all of the channels or is it just 1 channel?

Thanks,
    Rylant
    It’s as good as your internet provider allows. If you don’t hav great connectivity it’s not SN fault. Lol

I have the SN app on my tv and the premium “broadcasts” go through it as unlocked. If you have a smartTV and someone’s login that you can have then SN now Std is free. If you don’t have a login then it will cost you. For the extra $ I’d spring for the Premium unless all you want is the oilers.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Master

may as well spring for premium

149 regular service verses 199 premium (current promo otherwise 249)

https://secure.snnow.ca/pricing?utm_...ontent=PRICING

Dobber Sports Star

Hey Thanks Guys.

So to be honest, the reason I want to do this, is because I am currently with Telus and literally the only thing I ever watch on TV, is sports. I spend like 200 bucks a month on Cable / Internet. My internet is 1 gb/sec so it's pretty decent. The reason I want to cut the cord, is because even with this internet speed, every time I watch a hockey game, it stutters and buffers and drops to poor quality. I would say about 50 percent of the time, it's unwatchable. This has been going on for a year. I have called Telus probably 4 or 5 times and they walk me through this trouble shooting or that trouble shooting, and tell me to reboot the router... and to call back if the issue persists. They did send out a tech once, but of course that time he came, it was working fine. So it's not that I am paying too much, it's that I can't watch half of the time, and it drives me nuts. I want to find a reliable solution.

I have seen some reviews online say that the Sportsnet app is brutal and it buffers and lags often. Sportsnet doesn't have a trial offer (Seriously, who doesn't run a trial offer for services?) I may just keep the shitty cable for now and pay for 1 month and check it out.

Thanks Guys,
    Rylant

Dobber Sports Veteran

You are getting stuttering on cable? That shouldnt happen. Does it happen on other channels?

Sportsnet is much better than it used to be (last year even), and so far this year its the only streaming that works. Ive had major issues with the "free" streaming sites but my snet stream has been pretty good.

Generally though, internet streaming will have more issues than cable, so its odd that you would experience drop outs and lag on cable, unless im misunderstanding. Some streaming hardware is poor, like my smart tv. I had to buy a google dongle and now I use that. I never had luck streaming on a gaming console (PS4). My computer can still stream for now and I have it hooked up in my living room and its what I use for snet via their website. I will try the SNET app on my google dongle tonight and report back.

Dobber Sports Immortal

If you're considering cutting the cord and are ok with a 10-15 second lag on live TV, the service I use is $20 a month and has every channel imaginable as well as a VOD service with most shows and movies. It's great.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    You are getting stuttering on cable? That shouldnt happen. Does it happen on other channels?
    So I have a Telus Optik box wired HDMI to my television, but it receives the signal through the WiFi. The Router is literally 15 feet away in the utility room, but I don't want to drag a cat5 or cat6 cable through the apartment. It happens with all of the channels. The box always reports an excellent signal, even when it's buffering. So I am not sure what's going on; clearly neither does Telus.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    If you're considering cutting the cord and are ok with a 10-15 second lag on live TV, the service I use is $20 a month and has every channel imaginable as well as a VOD service with most shows and movies. It's great.
    What's the service? A slight lag doesn't bother me at all. Is it an app you run or through a browser?

Rylant

Dobber Sports Immortal

What's the service? A slight lag doesn't bother me at all. Is it an app you run or through a browser?

Rylant
    It's a playlist service that I subscribe to and I use an app called Tivimate for the actual streaming/guide/VOD "GUI".

Dobber Sports Veteran

So I have a Telus Optik box wired HDMI to my television, but it receives the signal through the WiFi. The Router is literally 15 feet away in the utility room, but I don't want to drag a cat5 or cat6 cable through the apartment. It happens with all of the channels. The box always reports an excellent signal, even when it's buffering. So I am not sure what's going on; clearly neither does Telus.

Rylant
    Apartment says it all. I cant imagine the interference issues you may have.

So Im trying the snet app via chromecast dongle to my tv and the picture is decent but it has kind of a frame drop look, the puck kind of stutters across the ice. Its ok but i get a better stream from my computer likely because its hardwired and has better processing power.

I hope you find a solution, you will still have to pay for internet regardless so you are only cutting the cable. Still all considered you will save about a grand a year if you cut the cable and pay for the snet sub.