Thread: Could Marner possibly receive Defense eligibility?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Could Marner possibly receive Defense eligibility?

According to Sheldon Keefe, they’re trying out using Marner on defense, pairing him with Morgan Reilly, for specific situations throughout the season.

Would Yahoo give him a RW/D eligibility if they do it often enough? That could be huge!

Here is the article https://www.nhl.com/news/maple-leafs...an/c-335912298
    Scoring: G A +/- PPP SOG FW HIT BLK
    Goalies: W GAA SV% SO
    category win = 2pts, category tie = 1pt

12 team H2H redraft
    C - B Point, S Stamkos (C,LW), N Kadri, M Necas (C, RW)
    LW - A Ovechkin, E Kane
    RW - M Rantanen, A Svechnikov (LW,RW), M Zuccarello
    D - R Josi, B Burns, Z Werenski, A Romanov, A Martinez
    G - I Sorokin, U Luukkonen
    IR - A Ekblad

10 team H2H redraft
    C - A Matthews, A Barkov, M Zibanejad
    LW - B Tkachuk, A Panarin, C Caufield (LW,RW)
    RW - M Rantanen, A Svechnikov (LW,RW), T Wilson
    D - R Dahlin, B Burns, K Letang, D Nurse
    G - J Swayman, T Demko, F Anderson
    IR -

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Could Marner possibly receive Defense eligibility?

Who knows!
    I really don't think we'll see him line up at D to "open" a game... or for the "majority" of a game.
    But there are some situations, especially 3-on-3 and 4-on-4, where play becomes more man-defense (rather than zone)...
    And in those conditions, the teams with more fluid offensive creativity are going to dominate puck possession and win.

I think we could see a lot of Marner at 4-on-4 with four forwards.
    And I think we could see a lot of possible trailing 5-on-5 or 6-on-5 (EN) where Reilly-off shifts have full forwards with Marner playing pivot on blueline.

But I really don't think games will open 0-0 with Marner playing defense.

One thing there is - lots of Leafs fans... and lots of Leafs fans that do fantasy hockey.
    And if they are annoying enough, in numbers, they might sway the fantasy platform to grant dual-eligibility.

Some fantasy platforms say that positional eligibility is set by some "3rd party" or "data provider".
    I've never understood who is the ruler/king of these other systems - because there has been no SYSTEM over the years.

Which is... STUPID.
    Baseball has long had a system where players would have to log a 10th formal game at a position to get the extra eligibility.
    Hockey should have the same - where it logs opening game position for each player... and if one gets to 10 at a position (or 5)... give them the 2nd eligibility.

In summary: I doubt it, on Marner, I'd say 20% chance based on what we are "hearing" right now.
    50% chance if he lines up at D for 2 game starts.
    90% chance if he lines up at D for 3+ game starts.

[I also think Dubas is looking to save his ass and "deflect" this year... and he may be nudging Keefe to announce creative things like "Marner on Defense". Every "new concept", "new change" by the Leafs coaches and management make fans go "Oh, that might work... maybe this year will be different"... and that saves jobs & criticism... at least until the season starts rolling!]

Dobber Sports Icon

The way Yahoo has been with their positional eligibility, I'm sure they will give him D status as soon as he plays one shift of a regular season game in that position. They used to be so stingy with dual eligibility but a few years ago they swung completely in the opposite direction. It's been to the point that it almost isn't worth differentiating between F positions anymore.

Okay, sorry rant over. I really hope they don't give him D eligibility unless he starts playing D regularly every game though.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Titan

Honestly, coin toss. Marner's defense as a forward is actually amazing for his size. The amount he has covered a pinching dman well is actually really fun to watch. However, I don't think he can BE a defenseman for an extended time in corners and stuff. He can def be a dman on a 'non 5on5' situation, and he has already. Leafs deployed a 4man forward PP in OT a couple of times (Matthews, Nylander, Marner, JT) and Marner was the dman.

He can def be that role effectively for short stints early in the season especially when teams are rusty and haven't figured out how to defend that situation properly. If the situation arises and Marner gets some highlights of offense and defense, Yahoo might jump on it for the meme's too. P7 has it pretty bang on, the fact that it's Toronto raises the chances, and the fact it's a star raises the chances.

If he starts shifts on D where he physically lines up in a D spot, with no other D on the ice, there's a legit argument to get it added especially if it's 'even-strength' (3on3, 4on4, 5on5).
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Kinda speaks to the lack of depth at D for the Leafs if this is an option they need to consider with any regularity.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Man... if he does get D eligibility and then plays forward, he will be the best keeper I have... and I have McDavid.

Can we all agree, all of us who own him to keep hounding on Yahoo! for this? Wish it could happen before my draft! lol
    Limited Keeper - Keep 5
    Auction draft with a budget of $600. Whatever is left becomes your acquisition budget for the season. At the end of the season 50% of your budget is carried over to the next year.
    Keeper players are taxed +$10 for forwards with over 75 pts. +$5 for forwards under 74pts. +$0 for forwards under 50pts.
    D = +$10 for 65pts +$5 for under 64pts +$0 under 40
    G = +$10 for 32W +$5 for under 31W & +$0 under 15W

(G) (A) 25, (+/-) 5, (PIM) 3, (PPG) 7.5, (PPA) 5, (SHG) 10, (SHA) 7.5
    (SOG) 1 (W) 50, (L) -20, (GA) -5, (SV) 2, (SHO) 50

Dobber Sports Wizard

i hope he does not as it would screw up the balance big time...

and im with P7, i think its mostly for chasing games...maybe if he is comfortable he will be a D on PP full of forwards...but i dont see regular deployment
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Keefe did say it would be situational, but was definitely talking about even strength situations.

Mostly when they are playing from behind and really needing a goal, it would allow them to deploy 4 forwards if Marner shows he can also handle the defensive responsibilities during those moments. He compared it to what Colorado has with the offensive abilities of Makar from a defensive position.

Dobber Sports Icon

I would say there's a zero percent chance he gets D eligibility. If they give it to him because he plays a few shifts of it in late game situations, then they would have to give it to anyone who plays defense on the powerplay. Then if they do that, they would have to give it to any forwards who step out of the penalty box while their team is defending a 5-3 with two forwards on the ice. Then if they give it those guys, they will have to give the D position to anyone who covers for a pinching dmen and defends a 2 on 1. Then if they give it those guys, they will have to give it to...

No chance that Mitch Marner becomes a fantasy dman.

Dobber Sports Sage

I remember slotting in Big Buff as a Dman when he was a forward.
    Though he wasn't nearly as productive so it didn't matter :/
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24