5 Connibal Hellecaust 2 (horrorfan) 96.5
    6 The Kings in Yellow (LordoftheRinks) 92
    6 The Hughes of the Devil (Eskimo Brother) 92
    8 Flower's in the Aho-ttic (YzermansLegacy) 88.5
    8 The Forever Berge (4T2) 88.5
    10 Maaaaaa-chete (Maaaasquito) 86
    11 Knightstalker (Atomic Wedgy) 72.5
    12 Larry The Wolfman Talbot (PenguinHunter) 52

Congrats to Chili Con Carne! Well deserved victory from a very competitive group once again.

Thanks to everyone for playing.

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: 2022/2023 Rocky Horror Roto Show

Always like to do a little post-season retrospective to see where my pre-season thoughts and strategy either hit or missed.

Final outcome for me was NOT good this season - but I try to temper my evaluation based on a bit more context than pure outcome (which is still obviously the 'acid' test).

Draft Strategy - C+
    I was committed to trying something a bit new this year and was 'successful' in drafting based on that. As mentioned in my post-draft write-up, it left me with a pretty unbalanced team so I knew I had lots of 'work' to do - but felt like there were enough pieces in place to be relevant.
    At the end of the day though, my goalies absolutely sunk any chance I had this year by about December. It's not so much that fading goalies wasn't a good strategy (it's one I've typically done for years with various results) - it's that I whiffed on nearly every goalie I took. Made for a scramble just to hit max games starting Sogaard and Nedeljkovic and whoever else I could find on the wire!
    Fleury - not good and lost starter status mid-way to Gus
    Binnington - should have believed the rankings
    P.Francouz - didn't become #1 in COL and injured a ton (*WORST PART - I drafted him to block CCC from the COL tandem... and CCC still killed all the goalie cats lol)
    C.Petersen - FFS I did not see 'minors' as even a remote possibility
    P.Grubauer - Just a brutal start to the year - recovered some value a bit later

So basically, my super late goalie pick (Rd 19 or something) was the only one who came close to delivering draft value.

In-Season Moves - B+
    I was able (eventually) to shift my overages (C's, Scoring) into better balance (W, Peripherals) but it was later in the year than I was hoping for.
    I finished decently in skater cats and had my goalies been average - I'm probably landing 5th.
    So still not good enough to win, but top half is always an accomplishment in a league this good.

HITS/MISSES:
    Hits - T.Stutzle, C.Verhaeghe, B.McNabb, C.McAvoy, M.Barzal, E.Malkin, Kuzmenko (waiver)
    Misses - Goalies, Kuch/Marner in Rds 1/2 (ok but didn't really deliver full value), R.Hartman (lost C1 and then was hurt), O.Palat (used #1 waiver priority on him and he stunk)

Season Grade: B-
    If my goalies are decent then I'm finishing top half but still not good enough to win. I was happy with the trades (in general) but it's never good to "have" to make trades just to keep pace. A few more "hits" at the draft table were necessary but this group makes that REALLY hard to do.

Conclusion:
    I always like changing up my draft strategy each year anyways, but I won't be using the rigid "stick to my tier" strategy again as it just puts too much emphasis on having to re-balance during the year. My one "reach" (where I didn't follow my tiers for sake of position/balance) was Stutzle - probably my best pick next to Verhaeghe value-wise.
    Especially unsure of how I'll approach goalies next year - but I'm guessing I'll pony up early for a stud or really fade them with plans on being a waiver-wire hawk for that position over the year.

By far my most challenging league each year and full of fun and (super) knowledgable GMs. Thanks to my fellow GMs and especially sad to be losing one of the most important next season... raising a glass to him!
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Stud

I’ll add a quick recap as well.

Draft: B+.
    I drafted pretty well, didn't whiff hard in the first half of the draft, and any underperformers (Lindholm, Scheifele – although both still offered good value in some cats) were offset by guys that exceeded expectations (Tuch, EP40). Drafting FOW from the wing was key and I got some good players on this front. Most of my ‘gambles’ paid off or at least did not hurt me (drafting older players in early rounds, hoping for a healthy recovery from Marchand). Most importantly, my goalie strategy paid off in spades (I had Boston targeted to do very well, but they more than exceeded my hopes!). I won’t give myself a higher grade because there was some good fortune involved. Most notably, I drafted Swayman ahead of Ullmark (who thankfully I drafted eventually) and did not have either the BOS or COL tandem locked up when YL chose to block me by taking Francouz – if he takes Ullmark instead my season looks a lot different (note that I would have made the same decision as YL in this situation and prioritized Francouz). In hindsight, I also should have focused on D more. There are always some decent wire options for wingers, but not so much for D (unless you want to focus on a specific category like hits or blocks, but this doesn’t work across all six D slots). My opening day D-corps was atrocious, and none would last the season (most did not last long at all).

In season: A.
    I managed to overhaul my D and use a large deficit in games played on the blue line to chase a couple of stats in the latter part of the season. I also had other managers express interest in my goalies but decided that I needed to keep what I had in order to stay competitive, and managed to augment my G with pick-ups like Schmid for stretches. I have also learned the hard way that every year there are a couple of gem wire picks out there that really help teams (think Jeannot last year) and I have always missed out – this year I managed to grab Domi who was incredibly valuable for a wire pick in a league with FOW.

Other considerations/factors.
    As noted above, good fortune/luck plays a role. I managed to avoid injuries for the most part. Losing Norris hurt, but others had it far worse. It is hard to win roto without the gods smiling on you a bit!

Conclusion.
    Overall my strategy proved to be solid, but required some diligence during the year. I will most likely be targeting D more next year while continuing to look for value in drafting goalies and prioritizing FOW from the wing.

Dobber Sports Icon

Hey all, I will be posting the 2023-2024 league thread soon. Amazing that the RHRS is entering its 13th year of existence.

We know we do have one opening to fill as our amazing commish has decided to retire. Just waiting to hear back from one last returning GM. Will start the new league thread once we have confirmed the managers for this year.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".