Thread: Steel and Addison

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Steel and Addison

Looking for info and insights on these two ... I have them both, but just want to know if there are general thoughts that

A) Addison will stick with the club
    B) Steel has the opp to move up the lineup

They aren't having terrible pre-seasons
    Salary Cap League:
    13 Team, G, A,+/-, W-2, OTL,SO-3
    30 max, 21 weekly active roster (12F, 7D, 2G)
    Note: Our league is 1 year behind in terms of available players and salary. Salary doesn't change for length of Pool contract.

Team:
    F-Trochek, Necas, J.T.Miller,McCann,Terry,Engvall, Zibanajed,mikhehev,GourdeHagel, Petterson,skinner
    D-
    Lindgren,Barrie,Forsling,.Morrisey,Aho,Ekblad,fabe r
    G-
    ,ulnarkSherstkin, Ned

(*) = Multi year deal

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Steel and Addison

A) Addison is probably about 60% to make the team. His offense is good enough, perhaps better than their PP1 - Spurgeon. And, Minnesota will probably see Matt Dumba leave during as UFA next summer 2023. So they have to find out what they have with Addison over a full NHL season. I think he'll get lots of games unless his defense is costly. He's logged 74 AHL games and was the high-end piece they got from PIT for Jason Zucker. The BEST news for Addison is when Guerin sent Kulikov to ANA for no return. That was as clear a sign as possible that MIN wanted to open up a space for Addison. He'll probably see sheltered 3rd pairing minutes and PP2 time which is ideal for a new(er) defenseman. He did log 15 NHL gp last year and 3 the year before... so this is the type of year where he could have a full boat of 65-80gp.

B) Sam Steel has some upside, but MIN does already have a locked in top9, I believe, with Tyson Jost proving the more effective of the NEW players. With MIN waiting on Rossi, I'll be shocked if Steel gets any higher than 3rd line in his NHL career. He's got decent tools, but nothing high-end (i.e.: top 6er)

My thoughts.

Dobber Sports Wizard

A) yes he will, they traded Kulikov i believe to make room
    B) up to 3rd line yes, higher up the lineup most likely not, unless he shows he is much more than he was in Ana which im not convinced he is. Kevin Fiala took off after he joined Mini but i dont expect same here.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Initiate

Thanks both!!!!!

Dobber Sports Star

I agree with the ideas that the Wild are making room for Addison, but that Steel's talents are limited so as to prevent him from being a substantial contributor.

Dobber Sports Icon

Addison will almost definitely make the team. How long he sticks is completely up to him. He has the ability to be a full-time NHLer who puts up decent point totals. The problem he's facing right now is that he's a right shot dman on a team that has Jared Spurgeon and Matt Dumba. That limits him to the 3rd pairing and it also limits his PP time. He will see a jump in production next year when Dumba is likely gone.

As for Sam Steel. He has the potential and the skill to be a top 6 forward. The other big thing going for him right now is that him and Tyson Jost grew up playing against each other and with each other on "super" teams. They have a long history of absolutely dominating games together. This preseason is telling me they are picking up right where they left off a "few" years ago.

With that said, Jost is expected to start the season on the LW with Foligno and Eriksson Ek with Greenway being sidelined. I would expect Jost and Steel to play together on PP2 to start the season.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Update: The twitterverse is indicating that Calen Addison is getting PP1 placement in practice today with Kaprizov, Zucc, JEE, and Boldy.
    Nice!

Foligno-Rossi-Hartman-F.Gaudreau-Spurgeon on PP2 (today).

https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/stat...79904058494977

Dobber Sports Novice

I do believe that Addison sticks with the club out of the camp this season. Now will that mean he is in the top 4 D, that remains to be seen and in the beginning of the season I doubt it, but his role will grow as the season progresses.

Steel, I believe does not make the club out of camp, but could be a call up if injuries occur.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'd be very surprised if Addison didn't make the team. Imo they showed confidence in him making that trade. I think they like him now and especially in the future. With the news he's been on PP1 all that is lining up nicely for him to arrive. At worst 3rd pairing with PP2 time, but I think the future could be now for the skilled dmen.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Yeah... I raise my likelihood for Addison to make the team from 60% to 80%.
    There's still a chance he could be excluded from opening season roster.
    MIN has 4gp left in preseason... he could get turned inside-out a few times.
    And Addison IS waivers exempt, which does come into play in reasoning that isn't centric to Addison himself.

MIN could decide that it'd be easier to sneak a guy like Hicketts, Mermis, Sustr (not waiver-exempt) down if they do it "in season".
    Addison IS waivers-exempt, which means they might start season with a paper-move of trying to put the non-WE guys on opening roster... and then push them down when teams are... less flexible.

That said - if's pretty dumb to waste valuable prep time with a PP1 unit if it isn't intended to be in place to open season.
    Spurgeon on PP2 works a bit better too... because it's nice to roll into EVEN-STRENGTH situation with a very good defensive defender... and that's Spurgeon (but not Addison).

Dobber Sports Star

Minnesota was middle of the pack on the powerplay last season. Spurgeon was adequate but I wouldnt call him an offensive dynamo by any means. Addison has an opportunity here to seize PP1 and be their go-to offensive dman.

Im not so worried about him being on the 'third' pairing so to speak as Minnesota's defense is very good. Brodin (L), Spurgeon (R), Goligoski (L), Dumba (R), Middleton (L), Addison (R). He just needs to carve out ideally 18+ minutes a game + that coveted PP1 time + playing with the Kaprizov line at evens. Itll be up to him to force the coaching staff to play him more at evens if his defense is adequate. This also may result in the vets taking on the tougher assignments leaving Addison to do his thing offensively. Unlikely he'll be out there for some cheap empty net points though haha.

Sam Steel seems like injury filler to me. Kaprizov, Zucc, Hartman, Boldy, Gaudreau, Rossi seem destined for the top 6 in my books in some combination. Foligno JEE and Greenway as an elite checking line rounds out the top 9
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Great Convo and info folks....thanks....

Addison seems to do well at every level, and hopefully he can stick with the big boys on Pp1

Yeah Steel, prayer for me....
    When I drafted him, I took him in the first round over Bennington, so, I'm just hopeful he turns into something.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

It does look like Addison is making the team at this point.

Steel is a middle sixer.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Genius

Addison has the type of contract to make this team. He would have to be outright horrible not to make the Wild at the beginning of camp.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent