Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dobber Expert Stanley 2022-23

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Dobber Expert Stanley 2022-23

See, I do some quick arithmetic and sort out what kind of average numbers win each category. Then I try to lump some stuff together like goals and assists into points and total shots plus hits. I will use the conditional formatting to colour code my 82 game paces and try to draft guys that are really green.

Five points separating 2nd through 8th, which does seem to happen in this league when the games are played.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Great spreadsheet and projections, thanks!

Happy enough with my draft considering the tough competion.

Meh D, got in on the end of the D run with Q. Hughes, and like him most of my D don't shoot or hit enough...and hoping my old guys E. Karlsson and Giordano stay healthy and productive.

Excited to see what Bowen Byram and Matty Beniers can do this season!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Last Resort

C - MacKinnon, Aho, Suzuki, Couture
    LW - Stamkos, Marchand, Pettersson, Crouse
    RW - P.Kane, Batherson, Boeser, Konecny
    D - Jones, DeAngelo, Dunn, Matheson, Muzzin
    G - Saros, Merzlikins
    BN - Husso, Ullmark, Pacioretty, Brossoit, Nedeljkovic, Elliott

1. (2) Nathan MacKinnon (Col - C)
    I had McDavid as the #1 by quite a margin and then had MacKinnon slightly ahead of Draisaitl and Matthews so picked him. I did consider Draisaitl, but my teams usually end up pretty weak on C so I nearly always pick C when rankings are close.

2. (23) Juuse Saros (Nsh - G)
    I was hoping for Pastrnak or Josi, but both went few picks earlier. So decided to pick the best goalie available in Saros since I didn't really like any of the available skaters that much or they would likely be available with my next picks. This league's categories heavily favour workhorse goalies so I pretty much had Vasilevski, Shesterkin, Saros and Markstrom on the same tier mostly due to Saros and Markstrom being projected for 5 or so more starts.

3. (26) Steven Stamkos (TB - C,LW)
    I did consider Barkov and Crosby and maybe even 2nd goalie, but opted for Stamkos since I had one center already.

4. (47) Patrick Kane (Chi - RW)
    I was hoping to get Letang or Eichel here, but had to go elsewhere since both were picked. I was bit surprised Sebastian Aho was there and I ended up picking between Aho and two Kanes here. It was pretty close, but ended up preferring to get RW first so I had one of each of C,LW,RW on the roster.

5. (50) Sebastian Aho (Car - C)
    Aho and E.Kane were still there and decided to prefer center over winger. I also looked in to a 2nd goalie like Hellebuyck/Fleury/Kuemper, but decided to wait as I felt fine waiting on 2nd goalie with Saros on the team.

6. (71) Brad Marchand (Bos - LW)
    I was mostly looking for 3rd goalie and from skaters I had J.Hughes, Q.Hughes and Marchand top of the list. Everyone I wanted except Marchand went so ended up with him.

7. (74) Elias Pettersson (Van - C,LW)
    Batherson and Chabot were the highest ranked skater on the list, but I thought they might drop to my next pick so picked up another skater. I would have picked Ehlers if he wasn't picked one pick earlier so ended up choosing between Pettersson, Bergeron. I had 2C on the roster already so decided for the younger upside pick. Age is always a bit worry when your are picking players who are mid-late 30s and Bergeron playing with Zacha and DeBrusk for some time doesn't sound that great either.

8. (95) Drake Batherson (Ott - RW)
    Chabot was picked up, but Batherson was still there so picked him up. I had 5 wingers at this point and I there always seems to be some good value pick wingers available late so decided to skip wingers for few rounds unless they were easily the highest ranked player available.

9. (98) Elvis Merzlikins (Cls - G)
    I needed 2nd goalie and I had Merzlikins ranked well above the next best goalies available in Murray and Francouz so picked him up. He might post good numbers, but should provide good volume of starts with high SVS, mediocre W and probably poor GAA. Francouz might have been better idea since that should have made better combination with Saros and boosted W and GAA, but at least I should get good amount of starts from two volume starters in Saros and Merzlikins.

10. (119) Ville Husso (Det - G)
    I would have taken Francouz if he didn't go before my pick. I did consider some skaters like Jones and Boldy, but chose to throw some darts at goalies and picked up Husso although did consider Ullmark as well.

11. (122) Seth Jones (Chi - D)
    Dmen went slightly earlier in the draft than I was predicting so missed out on lot of Ds I thought I could wait one more round on. It's round 11 already so I really need to get 2-3 D pretty soon so picked up Jones here.

12. (143) Linus Ullmark (Bos - G)
    Choosing between C, D, G and options considered were Suzuki, Ullmark and DeAngelo. I probably needed C more than G, but thought Suzuki was the most likely to be available with my next pick so went with Ullmark.

13. (146) Tony DeAngelo (Phi - D)
    DeAngelo was there so picked him up. Going from great situation in CAR to mediocre in PHI isn't great, but I think he can still produced good numbers even in PHI. There were several solid wingers available I would have been happy to pick up like Bertuzzi, Bratt and Caufield, but I really needed more dmen at this point.

14. (167) Nick Suzuki (Mon - C)
    Suzuki was available so happy to pick him up.

15. (170) Brock Boeser (Van - RW)
    I was considering between Boeser and RNH and opted for Boeser as I had more LW than RW eligible players at this point.

16. (191) Vince Dunn (Sea - D)
    Need more dmen so picked up Dunn. Giordano leaving should give him more opportunity in Seattle and just in general I expect Seattle to do better than last season so Dunn could have decent uptick in production.

17. (194) Travis Konecny (Phi - RW)
    Konecny was pretty easily the highest rated player on my list so decided to pick him up even though I needed D and C more.

18. (215) Mike Matheson (Mon - D)
    I need to fill out my D and went with next best on my list in Matheson. He should get 1st powerplay opportunity and lot of icetime in general in Montreal so the opportunity is there for career highs. Looks like I might be accidentally punting +/- as it wouldn't even surprise me if S.Jones, DeAngelo and Matheson combine for -100 just by themselves.

19. (218) Max Pacioretty (Car - LW)
    Pacioretty was still available so decided to pick him, I think he's worth the shot at this point of the draft.

20. (239) Logan Couture (SJ - C)
    I still needed 1C and 2D, but I didn't really like any of the D available that much so filled out my center with Couture.

21. (242) Lawson Crouse (Ari - LW,RW)
    22. (263) Laurent Brossoit (VGK - G)
    23. (266) Jake Muzzin (Tor - D)
    24. (287) Alex Nedeljkovic (Det - G)
    25. (290) Brian Elliott (TB - G)

Filler rounds so mostly just throwing darts at goalies that I think have decent chance of producing good results. I needed hits so picked up Crouse and Muzzin for help there. Technically I ended up 1D short, but I have some injured players so have to justs fill one slot from FA.
    Overall should be pretty strong team although +/- looks like pretty bad category as I have quite few players from bad teams that might post high minus totals like Jones, Matheson, DeAngelo. In goalie categories my team might also end up as a mediocre in W and GAA. While I like Merzlikins, I think high win-rate, low GAA goalie like Francouz would have been a better combination with Saros.

Dobber Sports Pro

Thanks for the recap, that's great prep for our Pro draft tomorrow!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yellow Dogs
    I have drafted near the top of the order every year I have been in this league and so the strategy remains roughly the same: draft top notch points/shots/PPP for four or five rounds, get as many of the D that I fancy as I can, pay as little for goalies as I can.

1. (3) Auston Matthews (Tor - C) Last year Temek took Matthews everywhere, IIRC, and so I expected MacKinnon here. I was happy with Matthews. I have Mack in another league already.

2. (22) David Pastrnak (Bos - RW)
    Second round Pastrnak keeps on giving this year. I’d have him in three of my five redrafts if I had not been dictating my draft to my wife while driving in another league. She was rhyming off names and never got to him before I told her to take Crosby. To be fair, it’s a faceoff league and Crosby was also fine. Three year pace of 95 points and 394 shots plus hits. Plus player as well.

3. (27) Aleksander Barkov (Fla - C)
    More points. Three year pace of 93 points, S+H of 298, plus player. I don’t really care that I am accumulating centres.

4. (46) Jack Eichel (VGK - C)
    Everything points to him being better than his results last year in Vegas.Last year S+H pace of 431. All of the forwards I have taken so far, Barkov is on the verge, have enough hits to not bury me. None are positive value but none of them are going to have 22.

5. (51) Dougie Hamilton (NJ - D)
    There is a very small list of D that I am happy to own. The league starts 72 defensemen and I really only feel comfortable with about a third of them. Some PPP, 2 shots a game and triple digit hits with a decent +/- is ideal. With some wiggle room, because that’s an insane expectation, that leaves a pool of about 27 D. And I want six of them. Hamilton is down the Yahoo list but he has gone just after this in all my drafts and I wanted him.

6. (70) Drew Doughty (LA - D)
    Doughty and Letang are the perfect specimens from my D list. Everyone else on it trades off one cat for another.

7. (75) MacKenzie Weegar (Cgy - D)
    If Weegar can get PPP, than I will be ecstatic with this pick. I do want excess hits from most of my D to balance the forwards that don’t quite get there.

8. (94) Alex Pietrangelo (VGK - D)
    Lighter on hits than shots, I have heard that he may start with the number one PP.

9. (99) Logan Thompson (VGK - G)
    Goalies are my bane. I know, everyone else has them figured out. I jumped in here because team context is huge with wins and GAA being two of our goalie categories. If he is the starter all year than I have a good one. Maybe he goes to the AHL. I wanted a share and playing chicken, much like with Hamilton, has burned me this draft season so far.

10. (118) Matt Murray (Tor - G)
    Pretty much the same reasoning as Thompson.

11. (123) Neal Pionk (Wpg - D)
    I am not loving my D options but Pionk is on the shortlist, hits a lot, and has an enormous upside as shown by previous seasons. Even last year he had 12 PPP.

12. (142) Clayton Keller (Ari - LW,RW)
    I realized I had one winger and I went with points upside hoping that the rest of the team could balance out any hits or +/- deficits although Keller’s +/-has been decent despite the team.

13. (147) Taylor Hall (Bos - LW)
    Because I draft Hall every time, every year. It seems like he could be much better than this draft spot.

14. (166) Ryan Pulock (NYI - D)
    Better in a blocks league, where I also own him. Three year pace of 318 S+H.Paces for 35 points and gets a handful of PPP. Usually a plus player. My last D but still on my short list, if at the bottom.

15. (171) Blake Wheeler (Wpg - RW)
    His points pace for the last three years: 76, 75, 75. Three year pace of 303 S+H. Has been a minus the last two years. New coach could screw with him. He is old.

16. (190) Bo Horvat (Van - C)
    The 90th ranked player by Yahoo in this league last year. Seems like a good deal here. Hits and shoots just enough.

17. (195) Viktor Arvidsson (LA - LW,RW)
    Still need wingers. Arvidsson has some upside. Hurts in hits.

18. (214) Jamie Benn (Dal - C,LW)
    I was thinking about hits. Hence Benn.Likely to still get some PP time.

19. (219) Blake Coleman (Cgy - LW,RW)
    Hits with some shots mixed in. No PPP to speak of but 400+ S+H. Hurts in points but likely a plus player.

20. (238) Filip Gustavsson (Min - G)
    Now the late goalie flyers. I have Gustavsson in every league where I would draft a backup. I don’t know anything about him but Minnesota is a strong defensive team and the coach has mentioned that Gustavsson might get 35 games.

21. (243) Thomas Greiss (StL - G)
    Binnington has been vulnerable in the past. Greiss has been good on good teams. I have heard he has looked good in preseason.

22. (262) Kaapo Kahkonen (SJ - G)
    Potential starter and volume play.

23. (267) Karel Vejmelka (Ari - G)
    A hedge against needing volume. He has had some good moments.

24. (286) Ross Colton (TB - C,LW)
    I needed one last winger. He is a per 60 bet on getting more and better ice time. He hits a fair bit too and will likely be a plus player on TB. He immediately becomes an option to drop for a breakout in the early going.

25. (291) James Reimer (SJ - G)
    I had a couple of other goalies in mind but they went. I figured I would try to lock up a poor team’s goalie starts instead.

Dobber Sports Sage

Having Matthews and Pasta as first two picks gives you a nice lead in goals to carry you through the draft. Having usually drafted lower in pick order, I'm always chasing that cat...

Speaking of Letang I was wanting him, but have no idea where he ended up or at what pick... I need to check that.

Okay 40th, which means I would have had to have taken in round 3 - too early.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I just kept drafting shots and the goals that go with them. Although those are some of the tougher things to pick up late. The guy who took Pastrnak in that other league got Matthews in the first and Ovechkin in the third. Then Forsberg and Seider. In a league that counts everything. I looked after the draft and thought, "Oh, there's my team. That guy has it."

I love Letang. But, this year, everyone loves Letang.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Okay. I'll try to write a recap this year.

'68

C- Crosby, Bennett, Barzal, J.T. Miller (LW)
    LW- E. Kane, Toffoli (RW), Schenn (C), Kempe (RW)
    RW- Laine (LW), Bjorkstrand, Moore (LW), Rakell(LW)
    D- Makar, Chabot, Sergashev, Dumba, Severson, Ristolainen
    B- Granlund (C), R. Smith (RW), Puljujarvi (RW), Tomasino (RW)
    G-Jarry, Binnington, DeSmith

1. (5) Cale Makar (COL – D)
    I was hoping, but not expecting, that one of the big 4 would drop to me. Makar was the obvious choice when that didn’t happen.
    2. (20) J.T. Miller (VAN – C,LW) I wanted a winger here. My choices was between Miller, Meier and Pastrnak. I was hoping that one of the Rws would be available for my next pick, but Meier and Pasta went in the two following picks. In retrospect, I guess I should have picked Meier. I think Miller will regress a bit this season, but it’s still a decent pick.
    3. (29) Sidney Crosby (PIT – C) I was unsure which way to go here. Meier and Pasta were gone, the top goalies were gone and I already had a D. I was considering Panarin or DeBrincat, but since I already drafted Miller at LW I opted against it. Had I picked Meier or Pasta in the 2nd round, I would have picked Panarin or DeBrincat here. I kind of panicked and picked Crosby who was my top ranked C. I could/should have picked a winger and grabbed Aho or Ziba a couple of round later though. This is probably the pick I regret the most from the draft.
    4. (44) Tristan Jarry (PIT – G) It was time to get a goalie. I also considered the Kane-boys, but since there was very few goalies left that I liked, I couldn’t risk waiting any longer. Jarry was my clear choice goalie at this point. I’m quite high om Pittsburgh this season and he’s the undisputed starter.
    5. (53) Evander Kane (EDM – LW) Ideally I was looking to draft a RW here, but P. Kane went a few picks before. I had been considering E. Kane for a couple of rounds already, so when he was still there I was delighted to grab him. This was probably my favorite pick from the draft.
    6. (68) Patrik Laine (CLS – LW,RW) I was looking to draft a RW here. I had Fiala and Laine in a tier above the other available RWs. My plan was to draft one of them, and if they were both gone I would draft a second goalie instead. Fiala went a few picks before, but Laine was still there. You never know with Laine, but he could potentially have a massive season if he gels well with Gaudreau.
    7. (77) Thomas Chabot (OTT – D) Time to get a D again. For me it was between Chabot, Nurse and Theodore. I was kinda hoping that at least Nurse would be available for me later (he would not), so I went with Chabot. Ottawa should be better this season and hopefully he can up his power play production too.
    8. (92) Jordan Binnington (STL – G) It was very few clear cut starters available at this point and since I only had one G I needed a starter. Although I’m not really a huge fan of Binnington I felt he was the best and most safe goalie pick here. He’s not at risk of losing his position as a bonafide starter and St. Louis should be a decent team again this season.
    9. (101) Tyler Toffoli (CGY – LW,RW) I only had one RW so far and Toffoli is someone I’m quite bullish on, since he seems to at least start the season on the 1st line with Huberdeau and Lindholm. If he keeps that spot and gets top power play minutes as well, he could do great this season. I was also eyeing Pavelski here, but he went a few picks before.
    10. (116) Sam Bennett (FLA – C) Originally I was really hoping to get Trocheck as my next C, but he went the round before. From my rankings, Bennett was the best pick here. He contributes in a lot of different categories, so he should be a pretty safe pick (with upside).
    11. (125) Mikhail Sergachev (TBL – D) I knew I needed more Ds at this point. Both S. Jones and Pionk went right before my pick, so I decided not to wait any longer to pick a D. I also considered Morrissey, Petry and R. Andersson here, but I figured Sergachev was the one who has the highest potential if everything suddenly just breaks tight. Btw, the three mentioned Ds went straight after my pick.
    12. (140) Adrian Kempe (LA – LW,RW) Kempe is someone I seemed to end up with in pretty much every draft this year. I didn’t really know that I was that high on him, but evidentially I am. He shoots and scores a lot and hits quite a bit too. If he stays on a line with Kopitar and Fiala this season, he’s very underrated in multi-category leagues imo.
    13. (149) Brayden Schenn (STL – C,LW) Schenn for me is pretty much the opposite from Kempe. I’m not high on him at all. I think this is the only league I’ve drafted him this season. His point per game ratio will definitely regress this season. So, why did I draft him? Well, at this point I actually think I could get value from him. He hits quite a bit, has decent scoring and +/- shouldn’t be a problem. I also prefer my forwards to have dual positional eligibility.
    14. (164) Matt Dumba (MIN – D) There’s 6 D spots in this league, so I needed more decent Ds. Dumba was my best ranked D here. He does a bit of everything and seems like a pretty safe pick, although he tends to get injured quite a lot.
    15. (173) Oliver Bjorkstrand (SEA – RW) I was definitely eyeing Wheeler here, but he was snagged two picks before me. Since my experience with other drafts this year has been that RW is the most difficult position to fill, I went with another RW. I like Bjorkstrand a lot, but I’m unsure of his upside in Seattle. He shoots quite a lot though.
    16. (188) Damon Severson (NJ – D) I was still in need of Ds, but most of my targets at this position was now gone. Severson is decent though, and could have potential for a really good season if he could keep his spot on the top power play line (I don’t think he will though).
    17. (197) Mathew Barzal (NYI – C) He’s not exactly a multi-category monster, but come on, a player like Barzal shouldn’t really be available at this point. Although he doesn’t shoot, his points and PPP should be enough to warrant drafting him here and if everything breaks right he could be a steal.
    18. (212) Richard Rakell (PIT – LW,RW) Another skater who can play both wings. Should be on the top 6 in Pittsburgh and have a decent season. Maybe not an exciting pick, but since I’m high on Pittsburgh this season...
    19. (221) Trevor Moore (LA – LW,RW) Moore was very good in multi-category leagues last season. I don’t know if he could follow that up this season, but at this stage it’s worth a shot imo. Shoots quite a lot and hits a bit.
    20. (236) Rasmus Ristolainen (PHI – D) Hits. That’s why you draft Rasmus. I still had one D spot to fill and when Provorov and Romanov went just before I figured to try Ristolainen this season. Philly seems even worse than I originally thought, so I’m not really that pleased with this pick. I probably could have waited a couple of rounds to fill the last D spot.
    21. (245) Mikael Granlund (NSH – C) He was good in Nashville last year and could be decent again. Originally, I was planning to draft Greiss to handcuff Binnington, but he went two picks before me. I definitely should have picked Comrie, who went to picks after, but I didn’t realize that he was still available. Not too happy with this pick in general.
    22. (260) Casey DeSmith (PIT – G) I needed (at least) one more goalie and I got DeSmith to handcuff Jarry. Pleased with that, but he should probably have been my 4th and not 3rd goalie.
    23. (269) Jesse Puljujarvi (EDM – RW) Pickings were slim at this point. I read that Pulju had been playing in the top 6 in camp, so this was in case he was suddenly gonna break through.
    24. (284) Reilly Smith (VGK – RW) I understand that he’s been really good in the pre-season and that he plays with Eichel. Just throwing a darts here.
    25. (293) Philip Tomasino (NSH – RW) For some reason I drafted a lot of RWs in the later rounds. I like Tomasino, but he’s very likely to be dropped.

Overall, I feel I did a decent draft. My hope is to be in the upper half. My biggest weakness is probably the goalies. If I could just add a 1A/1B goalie from a decent team now I would be really pleased with my roster. That was a strategic mistake to wait too long to pick my 3rd goalie. Let’s see if it’s possible fix this either through free agency or through trading.

Dobber Sports Sage

Hmm by my rankings temek is also first lol...

I did mine by rates (to try and better compare) and he's missing 2 players (LW,D). Once those are filled it will drop his rates...
    though he does have Marchand waiting on the IR. Scary.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Firewagon Hockey (drafting 7th of 12)

C – Point, Trocheck, Reinhart, Stützle
    LW – Robertson, Neiderreiter, Kuzmenko, Boldy
    RW – M. Tkachuk, Bratt, Raymond, Marchment
    D – Carlson, Seider, Orlov, Morrissey, Romanov, Sanderson
    G – Markstrom, Vladar, Francouz, Petersen
    BN - Newhook, Hakanpaa, Greenway

1. (7) Matthew Tkachuk (FLA – RW)
    [Pre-draft targets: Makar, M. Tkachuk, Rantanen, Kaprizov]
    also considered: Kaprizov

No, Tkachuk probably won’t put up near the same point totals as last year and Florida is likely to score less as a team than they did a year ago but I’m still bullish on the Panthers offense and Tkachuk in particular.

2. (18) Jacob Markstrom (CGY – G)
    [Pre-draft targets: Markstrom, Svechnikov]
    also considered: Svechnikov

In any league that counts GAA rather than SV%, the Calgary and Carolina situations are gold.

3. (31) John Carlson (WSH – D)
    [Pre-draft targets: F. Andersen]
    also considered: Debrincat, Letang

4. (42) Moritz Seider (DET – D)
    also considered: Nylander, Forsberg
    I dislike taking 2 D in top 4 picks. SOG and G will take a big hit.

5. (55) Jason Robertson (DAL – LW)
    also considered: This pick was going to be Evander or Robo or god help me. I like MAF so maybe I would’ve grabbed him here but I was glad I didn’t have to make that choice.

6. (66) Sam Reinhart (FLA – C/RW)
    also considered: Heiskanen. I was fortunate that only 1 winger (Fiala) was drafted between my last pick and this one. Managers were focused on D & G here which worked in my favor.

7. (79) Tim Stützle (OTT – C/LW)
    also considered: Foolishly, I might like to have tried to land the Nurse/Bouchard tandem but when I drew the 7th pick in the draft, that became less likely. And after I grabbed Seider in round 4, my priorities changed.

8. (90) Brayden Point (TBL – C)
    also considered: Pavelski, Trocheck

9. (103) Vincent Trocheck! (NYR – C)
    also considered: self-harm if Trocheck got picked right before me; I’m forecasting a big year for Vinny.

10. (114) Pavel Francouz (COL – G)
    also considered: Murray; Samsonov went right before me and that snuffed out any tandem ideas. But Francouz was always the primary target.

11. (127) Josh Morrissey (WPG – D)
    also considered: 4 of the previous 5 picks were D, Morrissey was the last in this tier for me; 4 good wingers (Kyrou, Caufield, Hyman, Boldy) were also on my board but I hoped at least 1 would fall.

12. (138) Matt Boldy (MIN – LW/RW)
    also considered: Caufield

13. (151) Calvin Petersen (LAK – G)
    also considered: Caufield

14. (162) Jesper Bratt (NJD – RW)
    (Caufield goes right before my pick)
    also considered: Raymond, Boeser, Bjorkstrand

15. (175): Lucas Raymond (DET – RW)
    Raymond over Jeannot because scoring is the priority here. (Jeannot went next but there are other good targets, like Foligno and Marchment, who should still be available in a round or two.)

16. (186) Nino Niederreiter (NSH – LW)
    Niederreiter over Foligno; Nino in Nashville seems like an outstanding fit.

17. (199) Dan Vladar (CGY – G)
    (“Don’t get cute, Firewagon. Don’t keep assuming he will survive another round.”)

18. (210) Dmitry Orlov (WSH – D)
    (I also like the Fehervary pick and the Rakell pick in this round.)

19. (223) Mason Marchment (DAL – LW/RW)
    Outstanding value here.

20. (234) Alexander Romanov (NYI – D)
    Hits without hurting my +/-, at least in theory.

21. (247) Andrei Kuzmenko (VAN – LW)
    The Boeser injury is playing a role but if Kuzmenko can remain tethered to EP40 at 5v5, this is found money. Even if the PP1 role goes away.

22. (258) Jake Sanderson (OTT – D)
    Sanderson sat at the top of the XRANK rankings for 4+ rounds. I felt a little sorry for him. He’s sitting up in the stands with his family, watching this draft unfold and getting passed over, round after round. Well we want ya, kid! Now go out there and win the Calder!

23. (271) Alex Newhook (COL – C/LW)
    The breakout may still be a year away but this opportunity is hard to ignore.

24. (282) Jani Hakanpaa (DAL – D)
    Hits without hurting my +/-, at least in theory.

25. (295) Jordan Greenway (MIN – LW)
    Injury stash. Love the way he looked in the second half last year.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Samson’s Mullet

C- Norris, Kadri, Hertl, Jenner
    LW- Huberdeau, DeBricant, Fiala (RW), Palat
    RW- Terry, Perron, Stephenson (C), Atkinson
    D- Fox, Letang, Petry, Ekholm, Goligoski, Suter
    B- Nelson (C), Kessel, RW), Gostisbehere (D)
    G-Kuemper, Georgiev, Talbot, Hill

1. (9) Huberdeau (CGY - LW) First round, going for the best available player. Tough to pass up a goalie, but with more points to gain from a skater, I wanted to get that top talent. Kucherov (who went next pick) was also appealing, but recent injuries led me elsewhere.
    2. (16) Fox (NYR – D) Last season I struggled to gain any value from D via waiver wire, cementing the idea to ensure some of my higher picks when towards defensemen. With Makar and Hedman already gone, Fox was obvious choice.
    3. (33) DeBricant (OTT - LW) I personally like to aim for high shooters that can score. DeBricant fits those criteria. There should be plenty of options in Ottawa for him to find the right chemistry and excel.
    4. (40) Letang (PIT – D) Same as when picking Fox…looking for top defensemen to get me considerable points from blueline.
    5. (57) Kuemper (WSH - G) Even with only three categories for goalies, I didn’t want to wait too long before I grabbed on that. Kuemper should get plenty of starts and always puts up solid numbers. Considered Fleury (who went next pick)
    6. (64) Fiala (LA – LW/RW) First pick that I was not confident about. I had originally planned to grab another D, but the 3 I was looking at got grabbed within the 4 prior picks to mine. Scrambled and decided to look at RW (didn’t have any yet) and saw Fiala as potentially the best one still available; however, there were better players in other positions still available. In hindsight, Laine (who went later in same round) would have been a preferred pick to get those shots/goals.
    7. (81) Georgiev (COL – G) If Georgiev can lock up the starting gig, his value could be right there with the top goalies who went in the first couple rounds. Optimistic this pick will work out very well.
    8. (88) Norris (OTT - C) Still needing my first center, I was please to see Norris still on the board. He does a bit of everything and should easily see another year increasing his production. Been trying to grab Norris in each draft I can.
    9. (105) Talbot (OTT - G) Looking to close out concerns of not reaching games played requirement for goalie (rather hit that with least number of goalies needed). Talbot checked that box knowing his numbers would be above average. Wasn’t pleased to learn how long he would be out.
    10. (112) Kadri (CGY - C) Ready to grab my second center and pleased to get Kadri who should be a force with his new team and can hopefully chip in a considerable amount of points on the PP.
    11. (126) Petry (PIT - D) Was targeting Larkin, but he got picked right before my turn. Turning focus to defensemen, grabbed Petry to help bolster that position and add a backup plan in case Letang (who I drafted earlier) gets injured (always a risk).
    12. (136) Perron (DET - RW) If Perron can find his way to the top line, his value goes way up. Had a great season in St Louis, hoping he will be heavily relied upon in Detroit to continue that success. Also glad to finally get my second RW.
    13. (153) Hertl (SJ - C) Rather avoid players on SJ, but realized first line center position was running thin. Plus/Minus will take a hit, but Hertl picked up his hits last season (100+), making him a nice rotisserie player if he can do it again
    14. (160) Jenner (CLS - C) Jenner is a fantastic rotisserie player if he can stay healthy. There is plenty of hype for him this year with potential to play on top line in Columbus. Surprised to see Jenner still available at this spot and eagerly drafted him.
    15. (177) Palat (NJ - LW) Palat is well-rounded with hits and points. More of a complimentary piece that can easily exceed expectations if things line up right this season.
    16. (184) Ekholm (NSH – D) Lost sight on defensemen for a few rounds and realized I needed to grab some. Timer caught up to me on this one and a bit of a scramble. Points not overwhelming, but will contribute to hits and plus/minus some
    17. (201) Terry (ANA – RW) Surprised to see Terry fall out of top 200, but needing another RW, I will gladly take on his scoring potential.
    18. (208) Stephenson (VGK – C/RW) Glad to get a dual-position eligible player as it adds flexibility if players get cold/injured. And if Eichel gets injured, Stephenson could be in a favorable position to benefit from it.
    19. (225) Atkinson (PHI – RW) Yahoo kept bring Atkinson to the top of the list for a few rounds. Seeing his shot total is what made me pull the trigger on this one. Ready to put him on the bench if cold streak arrives.
    20. (232) Goligoski (MIN – D) Trying to find value in remaining defensemen. It’s a crowded blueline in Minnesota, but will hang onto him to see how things pan out.
    21. (249) Nelson (NYI – C) NYI offense not getting a lot of love in the drafts I’ve attended. Nelson have been averaging 50+ points since 18/19 season. I’ll show some love at #249.
    22. (256) Suter (DAL -D) Had Suter prior season and he performed well at times. With Klinberg out of the picture, could be more opportunity for him. I’m content with him as my 6th defensemen.
    23. (273) Kessel (VGK – RW) Hearing Kessel is re-focused now that he is back on a playoff contender. Spending time on top line in pre-season with Eichel. Ironman streak on the line with some key milestone games coming up (who happen to be against former teams). I’ll bite and see what happens.
    24. (280) Gostisbehere (ARI -D) Everyone wants an Arizona player, right? Simply wanted a 7th defensemen to pitch in for nights where there is a favorable matchup.
    25. (297) Hill (VGK - G) Just helping make sure I reach the games played limit at goalie. Figured Hill might have chance of supplanting Thompson too as Thompson has only 10 NHL wins on his resume…meanwhile this will be the best team Hill has yet to play in front of.

Glad to be back for another season! As always, tough competition, but that is what makes this league fun to be part of.

Dobber Sports Sage

Final Standings:

Rank Team Points
    1 Last Resort 82
    2 Holtz' 99 75
    3 some guys 74.5
    4 Yellow Dogs 65.5
    4 Firewagon Hockey 65.5
    6 The Also-Rans 61.5
    7 County Canuck 55
    8 '68 51
    9 Don’t Panic 50
    10 rattus rattus 46
    11 Samson's Mullet 43
    12 USUAL SUSPECTS 33

Dobber Sports Sage

Was a battle at the top all season!
    Last Resort maintained pace to the end and pulled away from Holtz and a late surge by some guys. Another decisive victory!

Congratulations Temek on another well earned championship!

Motion to rename the league from Experts League to Temek's League!

Dobber Sports Newbie

Yeah congrats again Temek!

Some things don't change no matter what. I drafted 4th and finished 3rd just like last season!

It has been mentioned before how hard it is to get to 164 goalie games played, and yeah, it was. I drafted the goalies from DAL and FLA with a couple of backups and thought I was set. That was not the case and I had to dip into the shallow waiver wire pool at the end of the season to even get close!

I must tip my cap to Invictus and the goalie strategy to not play any after 11 gp, sitting on 2.52 GAA all season. Slowly climbing up to 6th overall through the season with only skater games after that was impressive. Makes it clear there are many paths to take regarding goalies..

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by sanuksanan View Post
    I must tip my cap to Invictus and the goalie strategy to not play any after 11 gp, sitting on 2.52 GAA all season. Slowly climbing up to 6th overall through the season with only skater games after that was impressive. Makes it clear there are many paths to take regarding goalies..
    Ooof, I really didn’t pay the attention I should have this year and I’m facing relegation for it. I didn’t even notice that Invictus had done this.

I’m of two minds on that. One is it is a ballzy strategy that paid off in some form although one could argue he may have finished higher had he not punted goalies. Props for being brave enough to do it. If there’s technically no rule against it, then it’s a valid strategy.

On the other hand, it just feels like violates the sportsmanship of the game. Like a Sean Avery waving his stick in the face of Brodeur kind of situation.

This doesn’t surprise me from Invictus. A very good and knowledgeable fantasy player who brings a lot to these boards but isn’t afraid to get controversial. I may not always agree with him but the boards and some of the leagues I’m in and competitions we do on here wouldn’t be the same without him.

So I may not like the move on the whole, but props for trying it Tyler.

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats to Temek, the legend lives on. You truly are the GOAT when it comes to roto
    Without me, it's only "aweso".