Thread: Help Team A decide on which last cap cutting move to make

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Help Team A decide on which last cap cutting move to make

Hey all, Team A is a contending team in a 24 team dynasty NHL cap league. H2H cats: G, A, PPP, SOG, HITS, BLKS, FOW, SHTOI

A summer of cap cutting for compliance is almost complete. After a lot of hustling I was able to table two final options to finish the job:

Team A gives: Dougie Hamilton
    Team B gives: 2023 1st rd pick(entry draft, wonÂ’t be top 5 or anything), Xavier Bourgault

This clears 9 million and gives me valuable future assets, both of which I am happy to move for another D. Big fan of Dougie and his expected bounce back, but 9 million is tough to carry and considering what I gave up to get him when he was making money in the 5 mil range and not oft injured, itÂ’s nearly full value returned. I replace him internally with a young pure banger D type for now. I get that this a rebuilder type move but itÂ’s just a liquidation/collecting spendable assets type thing for the short term (Would give me just under 3M in free cap, still have Carlson and Nurse at the top of the depth chart)

Option 2:
    Team A gives: Tomas Hertl, Valeri Nichushkin
    Team B gives: Boone Jenner, Jake Neighbours

This one seems like worse value on paper, but it provides a couple of interesting tactics. Firstly it creates more long term cap space. While I love Hertl and Nich both players have the potential to to perform inefficiently to their cap hits by using the 10 pts per million formula. Jenner can have value swing greatly by linemates but will be a cheap, valuable banger as a floor. Neighbours may or may not be ready, or put in a very offensive role, but he projects long term as a solid contributor in this format, and will likely be more valuable(than Nich) as a trade asset at his age/cap hit because..…..that’s dynasty leagues lol. This also lets me keep Hamilton, who has the most potential of performing at a “unicorn”-esque level (as in I am not likely to find a close replacement for his package of pts, sog, and periph coverage potential on D).

Not sure who I replace Nich with yet, but wingers are cheapest to acquire and I would likely see how Neighbours looks first out of camp. With the projected 5M in free cap from this move I am more flexible in shopping for upgrades as well.

What looks best to you?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Help Team A decide on which last cap cutting move to make

I'm not a fan of the 10 points per million in mutli-cat, because there are some guy who are multi-cat beasts but don't score much. That said, they generally aren't too expensive.

I prefer option 2.
    Jenner bangs, wins faceoffs, and is generally solid in this format. I like him a lot at that cost. I realize you're giving up some good talent, though.

I want to keep Hamilton, as you may find yourself moving on from one of your other 2 top D next season.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Deity

I wont lie, I think I'd rather keep Dougie and move on from Nurse.

It would be interesting to see your full roster and what pieces you are able to move in to replace Dougie internally.

As far as the 2nd deal goes, I do like this and Jenner's cap hit for the return. I am not a fan of Nichushkin's new contract so ya, I'd seriously consider this deal.

Just a heads up, depending on who you replace some of these guys with, I am not sure you're a serious contender anymore but cap leagues mean having to make tough choices to move forward.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Magnificent One

Don't trade away Dougie - he had injury issues last season and historically has had a great second season with every new team on which he's played.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I wont lie, I think I'd rather keep Dougie and move on from Nurse.

It would be interesting to see your full roster and what pieces you are able to move in to replace Dougie internally.

As far as the 2nd deal goes, I do like this and Jenner's cap hit for the return. I am not a fan of Nichushkin's new contract so ya, I'd seriously consider this deal.

Just a heads up, depending on who you replace some of these guys with, I am not sure you're a serious contender anymore but cap leagues mean having to make tough choices to move forward.
    Agree on Nurse, but itÂ’s hard enough to move big contracts, so itÂ’s just not materializing right now. These were the only two options I could get. Can always try to shop more but cap space is running out around the league and the season is getting a bit too close for comfort. Also agree on the contender point, but I will easily be in the playoffs, although not as a favorite necessarily. But plenty of time throughout the season to aggressively shop upgrades.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Just wanted to specify, in case it wasn’t clear, I only need to make ONE of the trades for compliance, so I will go for option 2 and keep Dougie. Thanks guys!

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Hey guys wanted to bump this with one more offer. Still haven’t pulled the offer on my last cap cutting move yet….

new option: paying to downgrade Nurse to Gudas. Essentially my Nurse, 2024 1st + Kolyachonok for Gudas. It’s an overpayment obviously but it’s a cap league where I am over the cap and Nurse is making 9.2 M now. This then allows me to keep all of the above in Hamilton, Hertl and Nichushkin.

Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Mikerosen View Post
    Hey guys wanted to bump this with one more offer. Still haven’t pulled the offer on my last cap cutting move yet….

new option: paying to downgrade Nurse to Gudas. Essentially my Nurse, 2024 1st + Kolyachonok for Gudas. It’s an overpayment obviously but it’s a cap league where I am over the cap and Nurse is making 9.2 M now. This then allows me to keep all of the above in Hamilton, Hertl and Nichushkin.

Thoughts?
    If you're competing and contending now I think that is the right move. Nurse doesn't add much over Gudas aside from a few more points and SOG. You gain in Hits and SHTOI while alleviating $6.25M to become cap compliant.
    SalaryKeeper ROTO-Add/Drops/Trades require IRL $
    12 Teams - 32 Player Roster -20 Active - Min 5D to Max 7D - Min 11F to Max 13F
    16 Keepers (G=2 Keeper spots)
    83.5M Weekly AAV - Bench does not count towards salary cap

F/D: G, A, PPA, PPG, +/-, Hits, BLKS, Shifts (0.5), TOI (0.5), PEN
    G: GAA, Saves, SPCT, TOI, Wins, SO, OTL (0.5)

Roster
    F: MacKinnon, JT Miller, Kaprizov,
    E.Kane, Caufield, Eichel, Batherson, Malkin, Dach
    Kempe, Greig, Tolvanen, Zary, P.Kane, Foegele, Dowd

D: Theodore, Chychrun, Drysdale, McAvoy, Matheson, Okhotiuk, M. Roy, Fehervary, Perbix, Martinez, M. Anderson

G: Thompson, Vanecek, UPL, Lyon, Binnington