Thread: Significant error in Fantrax Projections!!! And they don't care.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Significant error in Fantrax Projections!!! And they don't care.

How many of you use Fantrax for your leagues? I am in 2.
    Noticed this year that their projections seemed high for Centers, then saw that there were no Face-Offs Lost (FOL) projections (but face offs won - FOW) is still there. Both of my leagues give 0.25 / -0.25 for FOW/FOL.
    This obviously skews the projections significantly. For example E Kuznetsov is projected to have 428.75 FP (5.79 PPG) with 480 FOW and 0 FOL. 480 FOW * 0.25 = 120 FP. IF Kuznetsov is 50% at the dot his total FPs would actually be 308.75 (4.174 PPG). This is a material difference.

I immediately sent an e-mail to Fantrax letting them know about the error and their response was "Our stats provider does not do projections for FOL". When I pointed out that this creates a significant problem with the point projections for 1 specific position, again their response was "I can see that, but unfortunately they do not track FOL so there's nothing I can do".

I find it hard to believe that their projections provider includes FOW but not FOL. Also off the top of my head there are a few things that they could easily do, including 1) eliminate the statistic altogether, 2) apply last years FO% to the FOW number to derive a FOL projection, or 3) just apply 50% FO% to everybody but still include the stat. Any of these options would be better than doing nothing. People are paying for this service.

Are there any other providers out there? I don't want to keep using Fantrax if they can't provide accurate numbers.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Significant error in Fantrax Projections!!! And they don't care.

its projections, they not necessarily right or wrong but we all humans and obviously there maybe mistakes....

one i noticed is that Jack Quinn was originally projected to play like 15 games, dont remember his point total projected but now he is projected to play over 70 games...with 13 goals 35 points and 28 shots so im assuming they forgot to edit shot total...mistakes will happen, not big deal, you should not relay on their projections as much as on your knowledge if you need help purchase dobber guide. You help this site, and it has good info.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Deity

Yep, you take projections with a grain of salt. Just one persons opinion.

On a side note, you only need to post this once, not three times in different sections.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Newbie

Obviously projections are just that, projections. You certainly can't expect them to be correct come the end of the season. BUT I do know that lots of people rely on them when making decisions re/ keeping and drafting players.
    I also understand that mistakes happen, but to not correct them when brought to your attention is crazy. Money changes hands based on these pools. Numbers need to be accurate. Maybe they shouldn't be including projections at all???

Dobber Sports Newbie

Obviously projections are just that... an opinion on how a player is expected to perform. There is a huge difference between being a little off on the number of goals that a player might get and having something completely off with your model and skewing all players in 1 specific position. Money changes hands based on these pools, it is a service that Fantrax offers. To not want to solve the problem is negligent.

Dobber Sports Wizard

how can numbers be accurate if they are projections? they make mistakes, sometimes they have different takes than us it is what it is, if you dont like them dont look at them. Personally i enjoy them, i also look at dobber guide, yahoo and ESPN projections and i come up with my own...so i have 5 things to look at and if they way off then i start comparing more.....

and not sure if its your setting or you are so upset about this that you keep posting things twice...
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Prodigy

We're talking about projections? That's what were talking about? Projections? I think it's time to just chill because we're just talking about projections.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Caps Crazy View Post
    We're talking about projections? That's what were talking about? Projections? I think it's time to just chill because we're just talking about projections.
    Love the reference. BUT, don't they base player salaries off of projections? The "service" isn't cheap and I would think they would want to get it right.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by buds View Post
    Love the reference. BUT, don't they base player salaries off of projections? The "service" isn't cheap and I would think they would want to get it right.
    I get it, anyone though has the choice to drop the service though and go somewhere else.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Yahoo has Merzlikins at around 450 I think

Dobber Sports Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Caps Crazy View Post
    I get it, anyone though has the choice to drop the service though and go somewhere else.
    I understand that, which is why I asked in my original post if anybody has suggestions for alternate providers

Dobber Sports Veteran

Use it to your advantage and let people take the inflated projected players.

Dobber Sports Master

try doing projections in the 1990's before the internet

not a boomer , gen x though haha