Thread: Less than Ideal Goalie Options - What to do?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Less than Ideal Goalie Options - What to do?

Based on bad decisions last offseason I find myself with a less than ideal choice when it comes to keeping 1 goalie this season (10 player keeper league, max 1 goalie keeper, league starts 2 goalies, scoring cats - W, Save %, GAA). Here are my options, what would you do (22 round draft), salary dictates draft pick forfeited?

Keep Knight (forfeit RD16 pick) - my keeper last year over Jarry, F. Andersen (embarrassing)
    Keep Vanacek (forfeit RD16 pick)
    Keep Gibson (forfeit RD16 pick)
    Keep Binnington (forfeit RD8 pick)
    Keep NO GOALIE and hold a player like B. Schenn, Hanifin, Tuch in the later rounds

There are also some possible trade options, though trading can be difficult in this league, all requiring later round forfeits

Possibly easy to acquire - Georgiev, Merzlikins, Petersen, Husso
    Likely harder to acquire - Fluery

Really don't know what to do here....

PS....signature roster is out of date, I will work on that. Likely keepers so far are M. Tkachuk, B. Tkachuk, Svechnikov, Meier, Heiskanen, Chabot, Hughes
    [size=1]13 Team Keeper - Hold 10 (1 G max) - Hold salary dictates draft pick forfeited
    Scoring Cats (Equally Weighted): G,A,+/-,PIM,Hits,Blks,W,GAA,SV%
    Start 9F,5D,2G
    F: M.Tkachuk,B.Tkachuk,Svechnikov,Meier,J.Hughes,McTa vish,Jarvis,Johnston, Keller,Tuch,Crouse,Knies
    D: Heiskanen,LeTang,Sergachev,Power,Trouba,Provorov,M intyukov
    G: Helleybuck,Vasilevskiy,Jarry,Kochetkov

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Less than Ideal Goalie Options - What to do?

If Georgiev is possibly easy to acquire, then you'll want to try to acquire him. He's better for you this year than any of the other Keeper choices you list.

Do you have a minimum goalie starts requirement? If you don't, or if you can get by starting only one NHL backup for the season, then Knight could conceivably be a palatable option. As two of your three goalie categories are percentage categories, it is possible that Knight puts up a good GAA and SV%. If he hits his potential, then he alone could put you near the top of the two percentage categories. Admittedly, this leaves you at the bottom of the wins category, but it doesn't cost you much.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    If Georgiev is possibly easy to acquire, then you'll want to try to acquire him. He's better for you this year than any of the other Keeper choices you list.

Do you have a minimum goalie starts requirement? If you don't, or if you can get by starting only one NHL backup for the season, then Knight could conceivably be a palatable option. As two of your three goalie categories are percentage categories, it is possible that Knight puts up a good GAA and SV%. If he hits his potential, then he alone could put you near the top of the two percentage categories. Admittedly, this leaves you at the bottom of the wins category, but it doesn't cost you much.
    There are no minimum starts so yes that would be an option for Knight. If I kept Knight I'd likely target Bob in the draft.
    [size=1]13 Team Keeper - Hold 10 (1 G max) - Hold salary dictates draft pick forfeited
    Start 9F,5D,2G
    F: M.Tkachuk,B.Tkachuk,Svechnikov,Meier,J.Hughes,McTa vish,Jarvis,Johnston, Keller,Tuch,Crouse,Knies

The Magnificent One

Easy Vanecek for me. NJ will be vastly improved and I could outplay Blackwood.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    This right here. It is a no brainer.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    I will mostly third this - I can't ice skate, so I can't out play Blackwood, but a walrus could. I love that commercial.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Any speculative thoughts regarding Gibson and Knight?

Gibson - good goalie, decent salary and term. His career probably does not match up with the Ducks window which will not open for a few years. Is he a trade candidate?

Knight - in a real rough spot, does he really need to wait 4 more seasons to be a starter in FL? I'm sure the splits can evolve to 50/50 over that time. FL will have a tough time even signing him to a bridge deal after this season (RFA). Wish he'd get traded because Bob has a NMC.
    Start 9F,5D,2G

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    Any speculative thoughts regarding Gibson and Knight?

Knight - in a real rough spot, does he really need to wait 4 more seasons to be a starter in FL? I'm sure the splits can evolve to 50/50 over that time. FL will have a tough time even signing him to a bridge deal after this season (RFA). Wish he'd get traded because Bob has a NMC.
    Gibson - He's an average goalie at this point, expensive salary, long term. Ducks should love to trade him. 10 team no trade list, and the Ducks should get the list before the season.

Knight - He is in a rough spot, because he's behind a good goalie with a long expensive contract. I do think he can get to a tandem spot by the end of Bob's contract, but one may get dealt when the cap hit becomes too high.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.