Thread: Critique my draft for rep please

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Critique my draft for rep please

hey all, we had our annual draft this past weekend and this is what my team looks like. it's a 8 team, pts only league (g=1 a=1 w=2 so=3). we start 4c, 4lw, 4rw, 6 d, 2 goalies and the rest is bench. We have 1 ir and 1ir+ spot.

I drafted 5th overall, and I'm not super thrilled with how it all went down as players I wanted constantly went right before, so I had to do a lot of adapting this year. As such, I am looking for feedback/holes on my team.

Goalies were difficult to draft. I was eying Markstrom but he, Shesterkin Vasilevsky all went in round 2. So I felt I needed to draft Andersen to get myself a tier 1, but I didn't like drafting him that early. In the end, good thing i did draft him when I did (round 4) because the teams that left goalies till late appear to be very weak in net.

I took Huberdeau with my first pick based on position eligibility and Makar in my 2nd round.

These are the other teams just to compare my team against.

Please let me know what your thoughts are on my team, and if you see any holes or players I should upgrade.

Thanks for feedback and I will rep ya.

Team A: (1st overall pick)
    C:McDavid, Kadri, Horvat, Wright, McCann
    LW: Gaudreau, Kane, Hall, B. Tkachuk, Landeskog
    RW: Kyrou, Stone, Terry, Tuch, Oshie
    D: Josi, Doughty, Nurse, Barrie, Provorov, McAvoy
    G: Markstrom, Merzlikins, Talbot

C: Crosby, Lindholm, Malkin, Couturier
    LW: Panarin, Forsberg, Stuetzle, Nichuskin, Kempe, Mangiapane
    RW: Marner, Nylander, Kreider, Raymond, Lafreniere, Voracek,
    D: Hughes, Seider, DeAngelo, Sergachev, Slavin, Byram
    G: Campbell, Hart

Team B: (2nd overall pick)
    C: Aho, Tavares, Larkin, Zegras, Hertl, O'Reilly
    LW: Draisaitl, Miller, Killorn, Nyquist,
    RW: Kane, Buchnevich, Duchene, Schmaltz,
    D: Letang, Dahlin, Pietrangelo, Petry, Hanifin, Trouba
    G: Vasilevsky, Demko, Oettinger, Grubauer.

Team C: (3rd overall pick)
    C: Matthews, Zibanejad, Trochek, Bennett, Bergeron
    LW: Marchand (ir), Petterson, Nugent Hopkins, Teravainen, Jarvis
    RW: M. Tkachuk, Hyman, Olofsson, Perron, Boeser, Ehlers
    D: Karlsson, Fox, Toews, Theodore, Morrissey, Hedman
    G: Saros, Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky

Team D: (4th overall pick)
    C: Eichel, Kuznetsov, Cozens, Dubois,
    LW: Schenn, Ovechkin, Garland, Guentzel, Stamkos
    RW: Tarasenko, Kucherov, Zuccarello, Rust, Stephenson
    D: Carlson, Burns, Weegar, Hamilton, Ghostisbehere, Matheson
    G: Kuemper, Binnington, Comrie

MY TEAM: (5th overall pick)
    C: Barkov, Point, Scheifele, Suzuki, Hischier
    LW: Huberdeau, Marchessault, Skinner, Boldy, Verhaeghe
    RW: Laine, Bratt, Bertuzzi, Caufield, Debrusk
    D: Makar, Rielly, Chabot, Heiskanen, Krug, Forsling
    G: Andersen, Fleury, Thompson

Team F: (6th overall pick)
    C: Mackinnon, Hughes, Hintz, Norris, Granlund, Couture
    LW: Connor, Meier, Bunting, Toffoli
    RW: Giroux, Pavelski, Rantanen, Seguin, Reinhart, Eberle
    D: Faulk, Ekblad, Dobson, Andersson, Jones,
    G" Sorokin, Jarry, Husso

Team G: (7th overall pick)
    C: Thomas, Kopitar, Thompson, Roslovic, Barzal
    LW: Kaprizov, Debrincat, Robertson, Svechnikov, Vrana
    RW: Pastrnak, Fiala, Wheeler, Bjorkstrand, Keller
    D: Werenski, Severson, Bouchard, Chychrun, Klingberg
    G: Shesterkin, Francouz, Georgiev, Murray

Team H: (8th overall pick)
    C: Crosby, Lindholm, Malkin, Couturier
    LW: Panarin, Forsberg, Stuetzle, Nichuskin, Kempe, Mangiapane
    RW: Marner, Nylander, Kreider, Raymond, Lafreniere, Voracek,
    D: Hughes, Seider, DeAngelo, Sergachev, Slavin, Byram
    G: Campbell, Hart

The Great One

Default Re: Critique my draft for rep please

I think your problem is you have a lot of comparable guys, so you will not be sure who to put into your roster at any given time. That having been said, I like your D quite a bit, as you have low downside guys who also could rise, plus, of course, Makar. In net you should be pretty decent. But from my first glance, Team F is going to win this thing.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    I think your problem is you have a lot of comparable guys, so you will not be sure who to put into your roster at any given time. That having been said, I like your D quite a bit, as you have low downside guys who also could rise, plus, of course, Makar. In net you should be pretty decent. But from my first glance, Team F is going to win this thing.
    Thank you. I definitely changed from what I was hoping to do during the draft. When everyone I wanted seemed to disappear I decided I wanted a focus on a real solid d-core and good goalies. I felt that in the later rounds there would be plenty of 50-60 pt wingers/centers available so that's why I have so many skinner/debrusk/verhaeghes on my team. Not loving that, but they should be easily replaced if needed.

Which one of my players would you drop, should Samsonov be the starter in Toronto. I'm keeping a close eye on that situation, and if I can snag him should he take the job then I feel really good about my goalies. I think Thompson is such a wild card that I can't decide how to feel on it.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I would say your Defense is a strong point of your team. I really like several of them including Chabot, Rielly, Heiskanen, and of course Makar. Your LW's & RW's are also quite solid. The only player I am a bit concerned with at the Center position is Scheifele. He is a little banged up right now. Your Goalie situation isn't awful. Andersen and Fleury are solid vets and can get the job done. Logan Thompson is going to get a chance to be the starter in Vegas unless Adin Hill takes that job. Watch both the Samsonov situation in Toronto and the Thompson situation in Vegas and see what happens.

Dobber Sports Genius

I see holes in all of these teams to be honest. I actually like your team as one of the top half of teams. In a start 6 D it was important to emphasize that and you did. So getting both Hubs and Makar in the first two rounds was excellent.

Your goalies are fine if... they don't get injured and Thompson get's the starter gig.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
    Thank you. I definitely changed from what I was hoping to do during the draft. When everyone I wanted seemed to disappear I decided I wanted a focus on a real solid d-core and good goalies. I felt that in the later rounds there would be plenty of 50-60 pt wingers/centers available so that's why I have so many skinner/debrusk/verhaeghes on my team. Not loving that, but they should be easily replaced if needed.

Which one of my players would you drop, should Samsonov be the starter in Toronto. I'm keeping a close eye on that situation, and if I can snag him should he take the job then I feel really good about my goalies. I think Thompson is such a wild card that I can't decide how to feel on it.
    DeBrusk, Verhaeghe, or Thompson. One of those three won't be worthy of a roster spot. The issue is in the time it takes you to make a decision you might lose Samsonov plus other top tier FAs. That having been said, Samsonov has failed to succeed at every level since coming to North America and if you look back, most goalies drafted in the NHL's first round - like Samsonov was - have been disappointments, some quite so.
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    DeBrusk, Verhaeghe, or Thompson. One of those three won't be worthy of a roster spot. The issue is in the time it takes you to make a decision you might lose Samsonov plus other top tier FAs. That having been said, Samsonov has failed to succeed at every level since coming to North America and if you look back, most goalies drafted in the NHL's first round - like Samsonov was - have been disappointments, some quite so.
    The point is moot already, as another team picked up Samsonov for an IR replacement. Thanks for your thought on it.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
    The point is moot already, as another team picked up Samsonov for an IR replacement. Thanks for your thought on it.
    Truth be told, you might be better off

Dobber Sports Initiate

hopefully it's a blessing in disguise

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Caps Crazy View Post
    I would say your Defense is a strong point of your team. I really like several of them including Chabot, Rielly, Heiskanen, and of course Makar. Your LW's & RW's are also quite solid. The only player I am a bit concerned with at the Center position is Scheifele. He is a little banged up right now. Your Goalie situation isn't awful. Andersen and Fleury are solid vets and can get the job done. Logan Thompson is going to get a chance to be the starter in Vegas unless Adin Hill takes that job. Watch both the Samsonov situation in Toronto and the Thompson situation in Vegas and see what happens.
    Can you please expand on the Scheifele being banged up right now?
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)