Thread: Prepping for a race

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Prepping for a race

There have been a lot of health tips on here over the years so I thought I'd ask.

I'm doing a triathlon style workout at my gym this weekend and was wondering what you guys have done for meals prior to intense workouts or races.

Should I just be carbing up tonight? The race is Sunday

The workout is...

2000 m row
    300 body weight exercises
    5km run

Hoping to complete in around 45 minutes. The last time I did it I was absolutely gassed but I feel like I'm in much better shape this time.

Administrator

Default Re: Prepping for a race

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    There have been a lot of health tips on here over the years so I thought I'd ask.

I'm doing a triathlon style workout at my gym this weekend and was wondering what you guys have done for meals prior to intense workouts or races.

Should I just be carbing up tonight? The race is Sunday

The workout is...

2000 m row
    300 body weight exercises
    5km run

Hoping to complete in around 45 minutes. The last time I did it I was absolutely gassed but I feel like I'm in much better shape this time.
    I've never done anything too crazy in terms of races. I've done some 5k and 10k and even one half-marathon. I also have to pass a test for wildland fire fighting, but that's more of a sprint than a long distance thing. Anyhow, my key for these is preparation, in that I've done the work and know that on an average day I could do the race at the drop of a hat, which allows me to push myself a little harder in the actual race.

In terms of meal prep, I try to go lighter on food leading up to the race. Not starving by any means, but I'm not going wild with heavy carbs, cheeses, fried foods, or spices. I'm sticking to mostly veggies, fruits and meat, with some post-workout simple sugars, and some more complex carbs in the evenings like a cereal or oatmeal for satiety and to refuel the glycogen, but definitely not a "carb load". I think that term has been bastardized. My understand is that carb loading came out of the Tour de France world where the cyclists were on a calorie restricted keto diet leading up to the race to help get their weight down as low as possible and then would reintroduce carbs in advance of the race to give themselves the additional fuel they'd need while doing an insane physical task. For the average person, a carb load need not be so extreme, so ballooning up on extra pasta or potatoes or whatever is probably just bogging you down. It just strikes me as license to overdo it. Go buck wild after the race, not before.

But like I said above, I am eating carbs, I'm just not going crazy with it. I'm trying to keep my food intake as basic and regular as possible leading up to the race. I don't want any gastro-intestinal concerns on race day.

I've also been diligently doing intermittent fasting for years, so most of my workouts are on an empty stomach. I've come to prefer it so my exact strategy may not be for you. For instance, on the day of my 10k a couple weeks back, all I had for breakfast was a cup of coffee, but that's typical for me.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Sage

Pasta and potatoes are some of my favourite!
    Which is a good thing because I eat minimum 4 meals a day (with snacks in between) and that's when I don't do anything...
    My weight drops to be too thin otherwise.

When I wake up I have to eat. If I followed what Steve does and only had was a cup of coffee for breakfast (I don't drink coffee) I would not make it.
    Everyone's body is different and you need to make sure what you are doing will be successful for you.
    I think he has also given some good information for you to do just that.

For me:
    Night before my same usual sized meal of carbs, veggies, and protein.
    (If I had been cutting/limiting, which I never do, this meal would be larger than normal)

Breakfast day of: 80% of what I normally eat at breakfast. (Depending on when I'm actually doing the major workout)
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Superstar

Good luck with your Race!

From a physiological perspective there is no need to "carb load" for any endurance activity that will be less than 2 hours. If you are eating as you normally do, your body will store enough glycogen (energy) for at least 2 hours of endurance work. Any "hitting of the wall" or slowing down will be due to hitting your limits in VO2 max, or muscle endurance etc. you do not "run out of energy" in a literal sense.

That being said you should focus on the following:
    1. Proper hydration, but not over hydration. Drinking what you do normal leading up to the workout, perhaps 10% more maximum. If you go into the workout dehydrated it will effect performance.
    2. Eat for "comfort". Again, you do not need to do anything different before a workout of less than 60 minutes. What you eat shortly before a workout is complete personal preference, as demonstrated by the first two comments. Some people cannot have any food in their stomach or they throw up, others need some food or may feel "weak". You've been preparing for this Race for awhile, you know which types of foods and how much you need to eat and what makes you feel ready vs. what slows you down. Do not change anything on race Day.
    Generally speaking fried foods and spicy foods are not preferred but again it's totally your preference.

Cheers.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Stud

Ive done that workout a few times.. dont carb load.. hydrate (and I mean hydrate) the week prior and get plenty of sleep.

control your breath.

2000m row = 8 min
    300 bodyweight moves = ?? 100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 air squats???
    5km run = 28 min ???

Thats 36 min, leaving 9 min to do the bodyweight exercises. that would be impressive.

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Immortal

Great responses so far. Thanks guys. And ya I'm realizing I'll most likely just be sticking to what I normally do so as to not throw anything off.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
    Ive done that workout a few times.. dont carb load.. hydrate (and I mean hydrate) the week prior and get plenty of sleep.

control your breath.

2000m row = 8 min
    300 bodyweight moves = ?? 100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 air squats???
    5km run = 28 min ???

Thats 36 min, leaving 9 min to do the bodyweight exercises. that would be impressive.
    The workouts are...

40 bench hop overs
    20 bench tap squats
    40 step ups
    20 push ups
    20 plank jacks
    10 burpees
    All of that twice. It's a lot of moving around lol.

As for the run. Its the last portion so I will likely try to pace myself and do intervals. Maybe like a minute push, back to base, 90 secs push, back to base etc.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    The workouts are...

40 bench hop overs
    20 bench tap squats
    40 step ups
    20 push ups
    20 plank jacks
    10 burpees
    All of that twice. It's a lot of moving around lol.

As for the run. Its the last portion so I will likely try to pace myself and do intervals. Maybe like a minute push, back to base, 90 secs push, back to base etc.
    Thats actually not that bad.. the run may be the worst part of it.. how efficient are you at rowing?

Maine Moose 2021-2022

Dobber Sports Immortal

Thats actually not that bad.. the run may be the worst part of it.. how efficient are you at rowing?
    Did a 2000m row in 6:30 last week. But won't get near that because I don't want to be gassed after the first section. I'll aim for 7:30-8.

Dobber Sports Stud

well then... i'd say you're an excellent rower..

Maine Moose 2021-2022

Dobber Sports Immortal

well then... i'd say you're an excellent rower..
    Unfortunately I'm not a great runner. Or at least I'm improving.

We will see how it goes. Thanks for all the tips.