Thread: What to do with my last bit of cap space?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default What to do with my last bit of cap space?

Yesterday I traded for Jeremy Swayman and Linus Ullmark (league details in my sig). Since I'm still in a rebuild, I don't really have much interest in Ullmark except perhaps as an asset to trade later on in the season. I only traded for him because it was the only way to get the other manager to give up Swayman. Keeping Ullmark would put me about $1 million over our cap. I can work around this my not keeping someone like Cole Perfetti and taking my chances at redrafting him (I have five picks in the first two rounds) and after the first couple of picks (one of which will be Shane Wright, I'm sure), prospects don't usually get drafted until later (last year was a bit of an outlier, but the first prospect picked was Marco Rossi who was taken with the 8th pick in the 6th round).

However, new for this season, my league has added an NA slot. This has me wondering if I'd be better off ditching Ullmark and using the cap space to keep an NA eligible goalie like Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen or Daniil Tarasov. Most teams in this league roster four goalies, but even so, I don't see anyone drafting either UPL or Tarasov, meaning I can likely get one of them as a free agent. That said, this is my first time playing in a league with an NA slot and I'm not entirely sure how it might change the way managers draft.

In addition to UPL/Tarasov, I'd probably end up keeping Logan Thompson and Marco Rossi with the extra cap space.

So, what's a better use of my cap space? Keep Ullmark or keep UPL/Tarasov, Thompson, and Rossi? If it's the second option, who is the better choice, UPL or Tarasov?
    12-Team Yahoo H2H Keeper League (Salary cap for keepers only)

3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1 UTIL, 2G (6 BN, 6 IR+, 1 NA)
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, HIT, BLK / W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C - S. Aho, M. Beniers, S. Crosby, B. Jenner, L. Stankoven
    LW - C. Caufield, J. Hughes, T. Moore, J. Slafkovsky, O. Tippett
    RW - D. Batherson, C. Keller, A. Lafreniere, S. Reinhart
    D - E. Bouchard, B. Dillon, M. Roy, M. Seider, C. York
    G - J. Binnington, J. Saros, J. Swayman

IR+: T. Demko, T. Hertl, K. Johnson, G. Landeskog, J. Trouba
    NA: B. Othmann

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: What to do with my last bit of cap space?

I'd keep Thompson, Rossi, and whichever goalie you prefer.

I like Ullmark, and he's a solid goalie, but I'd rather have Rossi & Thompson.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: What to do with my last bit of cap space?

Yeah, I've got nothing against Ullmark, he's just not super valuable to me right now.
    12-Team Yahoo H2H Keeper League (Salary cap for keepers only)

3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1 UTIL, 2G (6 BN, 6 IR+, 1 NA)
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, HIT, BLK / W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C - S. Aho, M. Beniers, S. Crosby, B. Jenner, L. Stankoven
    LW - C. Caufield, J. Hughes, T. Moore, J. Slafkovsky, O. Tippett
    RW - D. Batherson, C. Keller, A. Lafreniere, S. Reinhart
    D - E. Bouchard, B. Dillon, M. Roy, M. Seider, C. York
    G - J. Binnington, J. Saros, J. Swayman

IR+: T. Demko, T. Hertl, K. Johnson, G. Landeskog, J. Trouba
    NA: B. Othmann