Thread: MLB Competition Comm to vote on rule changes for '23

Dobber Sports Deity

Default MLB Competition Comm to vote on rule changes for '23

Looks like there's potentially some big changes coming to baseball starting next season. The goal is to increase action on the field, quicken the pace and reduce the amount of time it takes to play a major league game.

Here's what they are voting on:

A 15-second pitch clock with the bases empty and a 20-second clock with runners on

Two disengagements from the rubber -- including pickoff attempts -- per plate appearance

A requirement by hitters to be in the batter's box and "alert" with eight seconds to go on the clock. Hitters are allowed one timeout per plate appearance

Only two infielders will be allowed on each side of second base, with all four required to be on the dirt (or inner grass)

Infielders cannot position themselves on the outfield grass before the pitch is thrown

Bases will increase in size from 15 inches squared to 18

Here's how it will work:

Pitch clock

The clock will start when the pitcher receives the ball from his catcher or the umpire -- and play is ready to resume. Most of the time, that's after every pitch but might include a moment for a runner to return to a bag or a ball boy or ball girl to clear the playing field, for example. Umpires will have a buzzer on them to indicate the pitch clock has expired, leading to a ball being called. If hitters aren't ready with eight seconds remaining on the clock, a strike will be issued. Each hitter will be allowed one timeout per plate appearance. Mound visits are limited to 30 seconds unless due to injury.

The shift

Umpires will monitor infielders to make sure they are properly aligned before the ball leaves a pitcher's hand. Like receivers in a football game, infielders can ask umpires if they are properly situated, with two infielders required on each side of second and none allowed on the outfield grass. If a pitch is thrown while the defending team is in violation of the new shift rules, the hitting team can choose the outcome of the ensuing play or a ball for the hitter. This is the one play of the new rules that would be reviewable. Infielders cannot switch positions within an inning unless one of them is replaced.

Bigger bases

The increase in the size of the bases should reduce injuries around them while increasing stolen base attempts. Both outcomes occurred in the minors when the bigger bases were tested.

The biggest adjustment will be eliminating the shift. I dont understand why that changes much from the speed of the game but I guess it increases the action on the field. I do like the idea of speeding up the pitchers and only allowing players to step out of the box once (with permission). That's a pet peeve of mine watching baseball anyway. Players constantly stepping out of the box to adjust their batting gloves for the millionth time.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: MLB Competition Comm to vote on rule changes for '23

I hate the idea of banning the shift. It's not really fixing anything. I thought I saw a stat where it would barely increase any offense. If anything, for a pitcher, it's prolly mentally better because I'm sure the downs of seeing a ball go straight at where a 3B should be is much worse than seeing the shift work. As for batters, learn to hit the ball everywhere. It's like making 5 hole goals illegal to me. It's just weird.

The other stuff, I like it. I like the pickoff thing, I like the timeout stuff. But I think the pickoff play is gonna be odd and I don't know truly about it. Should be interesting how it works with stolen bases with a short pitch clock, limited abilities to hold the runner on their base, and no shift. I'm open to it, but I can see it being really annoying because after 1 pick off play, why wouldn't the 1st base runner just go 15ft off the base? It'll be interesting how this all works.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Immortal

The pickoffs should have a pretty big impact. Imagine the lead a runner can take if he survives 2 pick off attempts?

I agree that banning shifts is pretty weird.

Dobber Sports Deity

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status...78091847585793

The pitch clock, the banning of shifts and larger bases have been approved by MLB in a vote of the competition committee. Starts in 2023.
    https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status...80288341463041

Players on the committee all voted against the pitch clock and shift bans, but they were outnumbered by management. Clock will be 15 seconds with no one on base, 20 seconds when there’s a man or men on base.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

The banning of shifts... I understand it from an increased scoring attempt.

Similar attempt to improve scoring as these rules in the NHL:

- Eliminating the two-line pass
    - allowing the offensive zone centreman to enter face second
    - no line changes after an defensive zone icing
    - no timeouts for coaches after a defensive end teaming
    - delay of game for shooting puck over the boards.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Superstar

I like the pitch clock, and the "batter clock" the biggest delay is pitchers taking their time, and batters taking their time. All the nervous ticks from batters stepping out every pitch add a lot of time to the game.
    I agree the limited pick-off plays will be interesting. Let's say you have a legitimate threat to steal second.
    - pitcher throws over once, doesn't get him
    - now the runner takes the same or larger lead, the pitcher better get him or he's kinda screwed?
    -if he throws a 2nd time, the pitcher cannot pick him off? sooo.. big lead? hold so long you get him at 2nd? pitch out more common?
    Lots of interesting possibilities I think... Not sure it's good or bad.

The shift ban I hate. All batters have the same field to hit too, if you know a guy hits to a certain spot, you should stand there! In hockey if a guy always scores from the same spot you take that option away (unless its Ovy?) etc. In basketball if a guy can't dribble with his left hand, you take off the right side...
    I think banning the shift will be "good" for entertainment but I hate it. It will also be interesting to see Defence's "cheat" the shifting SS lines up right at 2nd and moves when the ball is released... That play is reviewable, much like the "runner was safe but popped off the bag and tagged out" play. which I hate.

Bigger bases seems minor but I like for a little bit of safety.

It is very interesting that the players unanimously opposed the decisions but they were passed anyways.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR