Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Queen Has Passed Away

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Queen Has Passed Away

She has officially passed away peacefully at Balmoral Castle this afternoon.

I'm not big into the Royal Family stuff, I think they're too protected in England by the BBC and they get away with a LOT of illegal stuff. But Queen Elizabeth II was in power for 70yrs, was pretty funny with any of the stuff she joked about. Just an old lady it seemed.

My Gma and mom are big into the Royal Family and think they can do no wrong and are hit pretty hard. A friend of mine moved to England like a month ago and she's said London is pretty hit hard by this.

Should be interesting what comes out now that she's passed and how the Royal Family will be moving forward.

FWIW the successor in line is Prince Charles (Prince of Wales) who is 73yrs old. Then Prince William (The Duke of Cambridge).
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Queen Has Passed Away

She will be missed. RIP

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Initiate

She was the root of all evil. This is great news to the world, and she should have left the throne many decades ago.

time to end monarchies around the world once and for all

Dobber Sports Deity

RIP to the Queen.

Long live the King.

PS - please don't feed the trolls.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

70 years and 15 Prime Ministers while in power. Pretty amazing life.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I was saddened to her of the Queen's passing. While I have mixed view on the monarchy in general I have only positive views of Queen Elizabeth II. Also, she is the only monarch I ever knew, and most of the living members of the Commonwealth ever knew.
    I cannot see Charles having the same positive tone that Elizabeth did.

It will be interesting to see if the Monarchy continues to survive going forward.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    I was saddened to her of the Queen's passing. While I have mixed view on the monarchy in general I have only positive views of Queen Elizabeth II. Also, she is the only monarch I ever knew, and most of the living members of the Commonwealth ever knew.
    I cannot see Charles having the same positive tone that Elizabeth did.

It will be interesting to see if the Monarchy continues to survive going forward.
    To that point, what should happen is that Charles should voluntarily say (or have the plan) that he intends to be king only for a short and restricted amount of time, at which time he will transfer the crown to his son William. Rightly or wrongly, the population looks at leaders, takes cues from them, and wants to be reflected by them. Charles, starting old, with well-documented scandal, and seemingly not as well-liked, reflects things that people don't want to see in themselves. His son, being younger, with a younger wife and cute kids reflects youth, vigor, and hope, with nowhere near the same level of baggage.

Charles should say that he'll be king for x number of years and then he'll abdicate. Give William time to get ready (if needed) and give the people something to which they can look forward.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    To that point, what should happen is that Charles should voluntarily say (or have the plan) that he intends to be king only for a short and restricted amount of time, at which time he will transfer the crown to his son William. Rightly or wrongly, the population looks at leaders, takes cues from them, and wants to be reflected by them. Charles, starting old, with well-documented scandal, and seemingly not as well-liked, reflects things that people don't want to see in themselves. His son, being younger, with a younger wife and cute kids reflects youth, vigor, and hope, with nowhere near the same level of baggage.

Charles should say that he'll be king for x number of years and then he'll abdicate. Give William time to get ready (if needed) and give the people something to which they can look forward.
    After seeing him all flustered signing documents and getting the wrong date on multiple big time contracts, and being a diva with pens. He's either not gonna last long with the stress, or he'll be delegating a lot of the responsibilities to William.

Queen Elizabeth's death may cost the UK up to $6.9billion between the funeral, Charles's coronation and expenses for changes to things like passports and coins. In June, the Queen's jubilee was linked to a 0.6% drop in GDP. The Royal family has an estimated $28billion fortune including private land and holdings and wealth accrued from colonial theft and the legacy of slavery. King Charles inherited $500m from the Queen without paying inheritance tax. All of this, but the UK tax payers will pay for everything linked to the change over.

As much as I would have liked the day off, I'm glad Ford didn't give people the day off. It's so dumb how this is a thing really. I would be livid if I had a family member pass and couldn't take the day off but was given a day for the Queen. And the funeral will be really early our time, so no one would be waking up early enough to watch it, or very few will.

Perfect world would be "We are allowing people to take the day off, unpaid, with no negative outcomes".

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    After seeing him all flustered signing documents and getting the wrong date on multiple big time contracts, and being a diva with pens. He's either not gonna last long with the stress, or he'll be delegating a lot of the responsibilities to William.

Queen Elizabeth's death may cost the UK up to $6.9billion between the funeral, Charles's coronation and expenses for changes to things like passports and coins. In June, the Queen's jubilee was linked to a 0.6% drop in GDP. The Royal family has an estimated $28billion fortune including private land and holdings and wealth accrued from colonial theft and the legacy of slavery. King Charles inherited $500m from the Queen without paying inheritance tax. All of this, but the UK tax payers will pay for everything linked to the change over.

As much as I would have liked the day off, I'm glad Ford didn't give people the day off. It's so dumb how this is a thing really. I would be livid if I had a family member pass and couldn't take the day off but was given a day for the Queen. And the funeral will be really early our time, so no one would be waking up early enough to watch it, or very few will.

Perfect world would be "We are allowing people to take the day off, unpaid, with no negative outcomes".
    RIP Queen E.

Ive been given the day off and feel uncomfortable about it. Schools should be open and students should learn some history about all of this and watch the funeral show and discuss.

This is an opportunity to put less focus on monarchy and royalty, and end this historical transfer of power and old world concept. Its time to drop the curtain on this chapter of human history. Please. It can be done respectfully and gracefully, (no toppling of statues) but it should be done.

Dobber Sports Initiate

not sure if all are, but schools are open in Alberta.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
    not sure if all are, but schools are open in Alberta.
    Provinces and Territories observing September 19th:
    https://www.hrreporter.com/focus-are...holiday/369848

^That shows who is observing it to what extent.

Dobber Sports Sage

I listen to the Daily Stoic Podcast with Ryan Holiday (I highly recommend it) and one of the main subjects of his new book, Discipline is Destiny, was Queen Elizabeth II. In a recent podcast he read an excerpt from his book about the Queen and I was floored about the kind of life she led. I don't follow the English monarchy at all so I don't know much about her but his description of her life and how she carried herself was extremely admirable. I'm looking forward to his book and learning more about her.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Ninja

I personally don't know anyone who gives a shit about the Monarchy in Canada anymore...

Nothing against the Queen, but that whole system is a relic and largely irrelevant - at least to Canadians who grew up here.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I personally don't know anyone who gives a shit about the Monarchy in Canada anymore...

Nothing against the Queen, but that whole system is a relic and largely irrelevant - at least to Canadians who grew up here.
    This is the right answer. Symbols are nice, but ultimately monarchy in a representative government is useless.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    This is the right answer. Symbols are nice, but ultimately monarchy in a representative government is useless.
    They're the English Kardashians for people who don't want to watch the Kardashians. It's a tourist, famous person thing, that's it.

I have to say, I went through the tourist parts of Buckingham Palace, went through Tower of London and saw the Crown Jewels. It's actually a really cool thing to do in England.

The thing that are positive with the Royal Family is mostly tied to their popularity. Once it's lost, the cons out weigh the pros. The Pros include things like tourist attraction, "national unity", some public sway ability, fundraising/charity work. But if that's tied to public likeability and once people stop liking them, they just cost money.

(Just trying to show what the other side is)