Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: New Goalie Post (beta)

Software Engineer

Default Re: New Goalie Post (beta)

Quote Originally Posted by octapuss View Post
    Lets update each goalies team.

ie: A. Hill in Vegas.

its the details that count.
    What is the time difference between actual team change and this post? anyone has any idea?

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Riasat View Post
    Because this is a SPA (single page application), users get the benefit of really fast navigation and one of the requirement for that is heavy caching. The app is loaded on your browser once and that's it. One unfortunate side effect is refreshing the cache is tricky. This is still a work in progress but we can now detect availability of a new version and give you a notification to update. If you do not update, usually some parts of the site will be very broken. 173 is about 50 version updates behind. We are releasing multiple updates a day now but this will eventually slow down to 1 or 2 updates per month.

We can trigger this update automatically but this process is not fully fleshed out and we do not want to trigger an update while you are doing something. The update message only comes up in homepage and clicking the button almost the same as clicking refresh button on your browser.
    Thanks for the explanation. What I don't understand is why the site would be created in this way that forces the user to update the page? I don't remember seeing a website like this before. Why can't there be a way to ensure fast navigation without these manual updates? Hopefully you can find a way to update automatically without issues because I'm not a fan of it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Riasat
    No, you are right. Some pages/layouts are not suitable for bigger screens. We will improve upon these with time.

One point tho, the reason those team cards are big because we wanted to put some info/stats in there but just didn't happen yet.
    They are even less suitable for smaller screens.

Do you need the info/stats on the card or can you just link it to more info? Personally I would rather see a simple summary list and then can go into the individual goalie/team for more information. And the font is way too big, IMO.

Also, a comment on the 'Goalie' page. What if you are looking for a player (maybe someone less known) and forget what team they're on? How would I find it other than scrolling through several pages? You should have an alphabetical index of letters or something that allows you to find players more easily.

And perhaps make the headings e.g. Goalies, Teams, GoaliePost at the top left next to the logo, a lighter colour. Having black on a dark maroon background isn't the best contrast and is harder on the eyes.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I spent 20 minutes looking for a goalie that was wrong, and then realized that Hill was actually on Vegas on the website and all the goalies were actually fine. So maybe you didn't refresh or something?
    It still shows as San Jose to me now but I haven't clicked 'Update' the app. See my thoughts on that issue above.

Software Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. What I don't understand is why the site would be created in this way that forces the user to update the page? I've never seen a website like this before. Why can't there be a way to ensure fast navigation without these manual updates? Hopefully you can find a way to update automatically without issues because I'm not a fan of it now.

They are even less suitable for smaller screens.

Do you need the info/stats on the card or can you just link it to more info? Personally I would rather see a simple summary list and then can go into the individual goalie/team for more information. And the font is way too big, IMO.

Also, a comment on the 'Goalie' page. What if you are looking for a player (maybe someone less known) and forget what team they're on? How would I find it other than scrolling through several pages? You should have an alphabetical index of letters or something that allows you to find players more easily.

And perhaps make the headings e.g. Goalies, Teams, GoaliePost at the top left next to the logo, a lighter colour. Having black on a dark maroon background isn't the best contrast and is harder on the eyes.
    We are not building just a site; apps are of equal importance to us and we have a small team. So some choices had to be made such as build app and allow it to be viewed as website.

We can auto trigger the update but we'll do so once we are confident the update system is working properly. One wrong move there will just result in infinite loop. Also, there is a way to make this update happen in background so you'll never notice but that's quite a bit of work and not on high priority right now (but will be done at some point).

We understand not all pages of new GP are in ideal state. These will take awhile to address; but will be addressed to suit both mobile and large monitors.

Re: finding goalie

There is a search icon at top right in goalie page.

I...am your father.

It still shows as San Jose to me now but I haven't clicked 'Update' the app. See my thoughts on that issue above.
    Fantrax does this. Update is available, click the link and it refreshes, page updated. One microsecond. But yeah, these will go away/get automated
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Sage

Also, and admittedly I'm nitpicking here, but on the 'Teams' page, there is no need to have each one that large in size with all that extra space. Plus, you have it split over 4 pages, which is overkill. I'm sure this can be reduced and simplified to keep it on one page without much scrolling.

Same with the 'Goalie' page. They are way too big with unnecessary spaces.

In general, I find this to be a common theme throughout. I'm looking at it on a laptop so on a mobile device it must require a lot of scrolling.
    I agree with Horrorfan- the font is too big and there is too much open space. Everything needs to be tightened up a little bit. I'm not a fan of the color but that is just my preference. Regardless of how it turns out, I'll use it and appreciate it. Thanks.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

The Wolverine

We are not building just a site; apps are of equal importance to us and we have a small team. So some choices had to be made such as build app and allow it to be viewed as website.

We can auto trigger the update but we'll do so once we are confident the update system is working properly. One wrong move there will just result in infinite loop. Also, there is a way to make this update happen in background so you'll never notice but that's quite a bit of work and not on high priority right now (but will be done at some point).

We understand not all pages of new GP are in ideal state. These will take awhile to address; but will be addressed to suit both mobile and large monitors.

Re: finding goalie

There is a search icon at top right in goalie page.

Thanks for the clarification and I do appreciate the team's efforts with everything.

Re: search. I missed that as it just appears on that page so didn't think to look up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Fantrax does this. Update is available, click the link and it refreshes, page updated. One microsecond. But yeah, these will go away/get automated
    I haven't used Fantax for some time so probably never noticed it before or it's more recent than my last use.

However, I do wonder how many people will visit the page, see that you have to click an 'update' link on a pop up window, decide not to bother and go elsewhere. I can't be the only one with reservations about it, irrespective of the short amount of time it takes to update. But yeah, glad that there are plans for automation. Thanks.

Software Engineer

> Re: search. I missed that as it just appears on that page so didn't think to look up there.

We used to have search in all pages and will have it in all pages in near future. Due to some technical issues, we removed from other pages. This is a low priority task compared to more pressing matters.

> how many people will visit the page, see that you have to click an 'update' link

You will not have to update if this is your first visit or a new build has not been deployed since your last visit.

> But yeah, glad that there are plans for automation. Thanks.

We just deployed dobbernomics first public version and with it, both DN and GP have automated updated enabled.

Please note that for automatic update to work, you will have to be at build number 262+.
    If you are still at an older build, you will either have to click that update button or clear browser cache or use a new browser.

Software Engineer

New goalie grids are up. We have added date, time, game-state, game-type, goalie stats and proper themes for light and dark. Any feedbacks appreciated.

The Wolverine

New goalie grids are up. We have added date, time, game-state, game-type, goalie stats and proper themes for light and dark. Any feedbacks appreciated.
    Thanks for the update.

On the laptop now so will need to check on a smaller device to give you further feedback.

Is the 'probable goalies' section supposed to be the grid? If so, I feel it that takes up a lot of space and with more games on a given night you will have scroll quite a bit. The grid should be more condensed for a quick view IMO e.g. show who's probable, confirmed etc. and if you want more data, then have a function to click into the matchup for more detail (including the head shots - they are not needed on the grid). I can't even see more than one matchup's goalies without scrolling.

On the individual status e.g. probable, confirmed etc, will there be links to the source(s) for when the season begins?

Also, why is login by password not available?

Software Engineer

Thanks for the update.

On the laptop now so will need to check on a smaller device to give you further feedback.

Is the 'probable goalies' section supposed to be the grid? If so, I feel it that takes up a lot of space and with more games on a given night you will have scroll quite a bit. The grid should be more condensed for a quick view IMO e.g. show who's probable, confirmed etc. and if you want more data, then have a function to click into the matchup for more detail (including the head shots - they are not needed on the grid). I can't even see more than one matchup's goalies without scrolling.

On the individual status e.g. probable, confirmed etc, will there be links to the source(s) for when the season begins?

Also, why is login by password not available?
    We received feedback to include headshots and more data; so we did. I will provide a "compact" button for you later (gimme a week or two; too busy right now) which will reduce the card heights by 1/4th.
    Although on my desktop monitor, if i maximize browser window, i can see 6+ games. We can easily allow 3 games per row (plenty of space on left/right) and make that 9. Do you think that'd be enough for now?

Screenshot 2022-10-04 020617.png

Source system is already there. Nobody set those for pre-session games so it's not showing up.

We support password in the backend but didn't get to implement necessary frontend stuff. Will be available at a later time.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I hope I can explain this properly. The old Goalie Post “weekly schedule “ also showed which teams played 5 times, 4 times, 3 times etc. that week. I found this information very helpful when deciding between a couple players on waivers. Wanting to pick up the player that had the most games that week.

Will this information return to Goalie Post ? Or can it be found elsewhere on Frozen Tools ?

The Goalie Post new site is coming along very well guys. Great work . Cheers
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett, Strome, Haula
    LW: Draisaitl-C, Stutzle-C, Kaprizov, E.Kane
    RW: Marner I/R,T.Thompson-C, Necas-C, Svechnikov-RW/LW, Hathaway
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Gudas, Benoit, Schneider, Burroughs
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson
    4 weekly minimum start’s required
    I/R: Sergachev

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

The Wolverine

We received feedback to include headshots and more data; so we did. I will provide a "compact" button for you later (gimme a week or two; too busy right now) which will reduce the card heights by 1/4th.
    Although on my desktop monitor, if i maximize browser window, i can see 6+ games. We can easily allow 3 games per row (plenty of space on left/right) and make that 9. Do you think that'd be enough for now?

Screenshot 2022-10-04 020617.png

Source system is already there. Nobody set those for pre-session games so it's not showing up.

We support password in the backend but didn't get to implement necessary frontend stuff. Will be available at a later time.
    Thanks for the update.

If that's what the feedback suggested, then I guess I'm in the minority. I don't mind more data but having it all on the grid takes up more space.
    Look forward to seeing the compact option when it becomes available (but will the text be the same size?) As for the browser resizing, I'd rather not decrease the size of the text or maximise the window just to fit more onto the screen. This is my current view, which is not expanded or reduced (it's the clearest view for me):

If you can maximise the blank space (without reducing the text size) then that would be better. As long as it's user friendly for all devices/screen sizes.

Re: source system - ok thanks.

Re: password - how soon would you expect that to be implemented?

Software Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    I hope I can explain this properly. The old Goalie Post “weekly schedule “ also showed which teams played 5 times, 4 times, 3 times etc. that week. I found this information very helpful when deciding between a couple players on waivers. Wanting to pick up the player that had the most games that week.

Will this information return to Goalie Post ? Or can it be found elsewhere on Frozen Tools ?

The Goalie Post new site is coming along very well guys. Great work . Cheers
    If you click the "SCHEDULE" button on bottom bar, you should find what you are looking for. Let me know if I didn't understand your question properly.

Screenshot 2022-10-06 223258.png

You can also click full schedule and browse other weeks than current week.

Software Engineer

Thanks for the update.

If that's what the feedback suggested, then I guess I'm in the minority. I don't mind more data but having it all on the grid takes up more space.
    Look forward to seeing the compact option when it becomes available (but will the text be the same size?) As for the browser resizing, I'd rather not decrease the size of the text or maximise the window just to fit more onto the screen. This is my current view, which is not expanded or reduced (it's the clearest view for me):

If you can maximise the blank space (without reducing the text size) then that would be better. As long as it's user friendly for all devices/screen sizes.

Re: source system - ok thanks.

Re: password - how soon would you expect that to be implemented?
    I'll see what I can do about compact layout. In long term, we will definitely have a more dense view for desktops, but in short term, it is rather difficult as we have to launch the mobile apps as soon as possible.

As for password, it isn't high on my list but I know some people want it. DN starts from tomorrow; first few days will be hell (tons of bug reports and fixes). After that, I can focus on this.