Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: New Goalie Post (beta)

Software Engineer

Default Re: New Goalie Post (beta)

So we just deployed a new version with following fixes:
    - top goalies (bottom bar -> 2nd icon) will now always show _latest_ available top goalies (whether it is this month or last month)
    - past top goalies (right menu -> top goalies) will now always show previous month by default (for example, it will show aug now that current month is sept) but then you can choose from top
    - top goalies scroll issue fixed
    - download top goalies as csv added (only in current top goalies page and you must be logged in to view that button)

Note: if you are unable to view this button even after logging in, please press CTRL+R for a hard reload. We have a bug related to loading new version (which we also potentially fixed in this deploy).

The Great One

Just looked over the top 100...no one is in tier 3. It drops to Georgiev at 50.46 in tier two and then 4 starts with Knight at 63.55?? None of that makes sense
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Sage

Main page seems to load quicker now too.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Software Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Just looked over the top 100...no one is in tier 3. It drops to Georgiev at 50.46 in tier two and then 4 starts with Knight at 63.55?? None of that makes sense
    Thank you for pointing out the mistake. We had a wrong code in place.
    Code:
      "THREE": "T4",
      "FOUR": "T4",
    Fixed and deploying (need 5 minutes). Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    Main page seems to load quicker now too.
    First time you load (or update) it, it can be a bit slow but all pages should load really fast.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Riasat View Post
    Can you send me a screenshot of the fuzziness? maybe use a phone camera if needed. It should be crisp on ff/chrome both.

Also, have you tried changing light/dark theme? Available on top right menu.
    I think that because it's a graphic site, the fuzziness was caused by zooming in/out and then back to 100% again. I find that if I leave the zoom at 100% when I load the page, it's clear.

Software Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by tobias View Post
    I think that because it's a graphic site, the fuzziness was caused by zooming in/out and then back to 100% again. I find that if I leave the zoom at 100% when I load the page, it's clear.
    Alright. If you (and others) feel the need to use zoom, maybe we can implement a solution where you can select text size so you do not have to zoom. Let me know.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

thanks for letting us know what you are doing to make the site better. Im not a programmer of any type. But I do have a question for you. Why use a image of the rankings that can not be searchable by CNTRL F?

Dobbers page is easily searchable: https://dobberhockey.com/2022/08/08/...n-august-2022/

Is he using an image? Use the same set up as his rankings and we will have a searchable rankings list.

Thanks for your patience and hard work.
    12 Team Dynasty League - ESPN Points league / Weekly Head to Head

Software Engineer

Arrow Re: New Goalie Post (beta)

Quote Originally Posted by octapuss View Post
    thanks for letting us know what you are doing to make the site better. Im not a programmer of any type. But I do have a question for you. Why use a image of the rankings that can not be searchable by CNTRL F?

Dobbers page is easily searchable: https://dobberhockey.com/2022/08/08/...n-august-2022/

Is he using an image? Use the same set up as his rankings and we will have a searchable rankings list.

Thanks for your patience and hard work.
    Rest assured, we will have a solution for CTRL+F search.

As for your question: simple answer is that this is the best solution given our resources and goals.

The technical answer is a bit complicated.

Typically, for a system like this, one team creates the software backend, one team creates the website, two other teams create ios and android apps respectively (and many other things). That results in at least four software (one backend, three frontend) to create/maintain and sufficiently large teams for that.

Since we want to have website + apps (ios, android, windows, macos), we are using a system where we created one frontend that works everywhere as our team/resources are smaller.

This has insane amount of upsides from many point of views but at the same time, one major downside. Since we "draw" everything ourselves instead of letting the browser to draw, browser can't differentiate between text or image or anything for that matter.

In this very site (forum), the text and everything else, all are "image" also. But then how come we can select/search them? Because the browser is drawing them, it knows what is "text" and what is not. So it can provide some facilities such as select text or ctrl+f to search text.

In other words, since we are drawing everything, we know what is text or not. The features browser provided, we will have to code and provide. For example, if you go to a blog post: https://goaliepost.com/blogs/62ffce6d15cac60feb481acc

You will see that you can drag select text. But only one paragraph at a time. This has been fixed in an internal build and will be released around end of this month. Then you will be able to drag select the whole article and copy. Similarly, we will have to implement the CTRL+F feature ourselves.

Now all these might sound a lot of work to you and you would be right. However, they are far less work than building a full website + an ios app + an android app + windows/mac app and keep them updated.

So, in the sort term, we might be in a disadvantage but we will have faster and faster pace with time. We will also be able to deliver some amazing things such as in-app or desktop notifications for goalie predictions, rambling updates, game results, game starting notifications, live stats updates etc. And everything we will bring, you will have freedom to consume using app or website; your choice.

TL;DR; Some people build website and put them as app/or build separate apps. We built one app and put it as website (and everywhere).

Dobber Sports Sage

Just went there for the first time and I'm not sure if it is my computer or not but the site was clunky and difficult to navigate. I don't particularly care for the red theme and the spacing seems off. I know you guys will get it right and I appreciate the site.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Software Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Just went there for the first time and I'm not sure if it is my computer or not but the site was clunky and difficult to navigate. I don't particularly care for the red theme and the spacing seems off. I know you guys will get it right and I appreciate the site.
    Any particular suggestions?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Lets update each goalies team.

ie: A. Hill in Vegas.

its the details that count.
    12 Team Dynasty League - ESPN Points league / Weekly Head to Head

The Wolverine

Is this update message expected?

Also, while that update message is visible, you can't do anything until it disappears. I didn't and won't press the 'update' link. Will this be fixed by the start of the season?

Thanks.

The Wolverine

Also, and admittedly I'm nitpicking here, but on the 'Teams' page, there is no need to have each one that large in size with all that extra space. Plus, you have it split over 4 pages, which is overkill. I'm sure this can be reduced and simplified to keep it on one page without much scrolling.

Same with the 'Goalie' page. They are way too big with unnecessary spaces.

In general, I find this to be a common theme throughout. I'm looking at it on a laptop so on a mobile device it must require a lot of scrolling.

Software Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Is this update message expected?

Also, while that update message is visible, you can't do anything until it disappears. I didn't and won't press the 'update' link. Will this be fixed by the start of the season?

Thanks.
    Because this is a SPA (single page application), users get the benefit of really fast navigation and one of the requirement for that is heavy caching. The app is loaded on your browser once and that's it. One unfortunate side effect is refreshing the cache is tricky. This is still a work in progress but we can now detect availability of a new version and give you a notification to update. If you do not update, usually some parts of the site will be very broken. 173 is about 50 version updates behind. We are releasing multiple updates a day now but this will eventually slow down to 1 or 2 updates per month.

We can trigger this update automatically but this process is not fully fleshed out and we do not want to trigger an update while you are doing something. The update message only comes up in homepage and clicking the button almost the same as clicking refresh button on your browser.

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Also, and admittedly I'm nitpicking here, but on the 'Teams' page, there is no need to have each one that large in size with all that extra space. Plus, you have it split over 4 pages, which is overkill. I'm sure this can be reduced and simplified to keep it on one page without much scrolling.

Same with the 'Goalie' page. They are way too big with unnecessary spaces.

In general, I find this to be a common theme throughout. I'm looking at it on a laptop so on a mobile device it must require a lot of scrolling.
    No, you are right. Some pages/layouts are not suitable for bigger screens. We will improve upon these with time.

One point tho, the reason those team cards are big because we wanted to put some info/stats in there but just didn't happen yet.

We have fully automated system for player team change, player/team daily/seasonal stats etc. While this system is extremely powerful and efficient, it is not battle-tested yet. There are some bugs here and there. We will soon introduce a "report an issue" system where you will be able to report any player/team info/stats issue from that page directly.

One of the developers will investigate and fix the root cause asap and even give you an update.

For now, please report any stats/info issue directly to my email address (it's my forum name @ dobbersports.com).

PS: We are aware that SO/SOG can be wrong for some players. These will be fixed before main season starts.

I...am your father.

I spent 20 minutes looking for a goalie that was wrong, and then realized that Hill was actually on Vegas on the website and all the goalies were actually fine. So maybe you didn't refresh or something?
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi