Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: New Goalie Post (beta)

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: New Goalie Post (beta)

My thoughts on the current goalie post:

1) The choice of colors leaves a lot to be desired. I am trying to figure out why pink on pink was the selected colors. It's too hard to read as the font blends into the background.
    2) The font size for the Tweets is different for each tweet. This also makes it difficult to read.

Software Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    My thoughts on the current goalie post:

1) The choice of colors leaves a lot to be desired. I am trying to figure out why pink on pink was the selected colors. It's too hard to read as the font blends into the background.
    2) The font size for the Tweets is different for each tweet. This also makes it difficult to read.
    1. A few screenshots please. Also, try the dart theme.
    2. In some places, we are resizing font if the text content is larger than the container. You are right though, it doesn't make sense to do that for tweets. We will fix it.

Dobber Sports Icon

Screenshot 2022-10-06 132645.jpgScreenshot 2022-10-06 132841.jpgThe stats seem to blur into the background in the dark mode. It's a bit better in the light mode but I still don't understand the reasoning of having 4 different pinks in each square.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Riasat View Post
    If you click the "SCHEDULE" button on bottom bar, you should find what you are looking for. Let me know if I didn't understand your question properly.

Attachment 5696

You can also click full schedule and browse other weeks than current week.
    Got it. Thanks. Wonderful
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett, Couturier, Zacha
    LW: Draisaitl-C, Stutzle-C, Kaprizov, E.Kane
    RW: Marner I/R,T.Thompson-C, Necas-C, Nichushkin
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Gudas, Romanov, KA Miller
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson, Woll, Allen
    4 weekly minimum start’s required
    I/R: Sergachev

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Dobber Sports Apprentice

This is such a downgrade. In what world is making the entire site not-searchable/images an upgrade? Because of mobile? Develop a proper site/pwa, don't take shortcuts with Flutter, it won't get you more users. I guess some people still have faith in Google tech.

But this is so bad in general. Poor design (wtf is up with the colours, accessibility much?), I can't search, I can't select/copy text/names/etc...

You want to gatekeep content? Well done. But that is not what the web is supposed to be about.
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)
    Start 12 F, 6 D, 1 G, 4 Bench, 27 Minors/Prospects

Roster

Software Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Screenshot 2022-10-06 132645.jpgScreenshot 2022-10-06 132841.jpgThe stats seem to blur into the background in the dark mode. It's a bit better in the light mode but I still don't understand the reasoning of having 4 different pinks in each square.
    A new update has been deployed where the contrasts are much better (according to WCAG AAA spec) in both, light and dark themes.. Also touched colors at many places. Please let me know if you feel lack of contrast in any other part of GP/DN. Remember to add screenshots! Thank you!

PS: Some cards will be uneven height because we are not resizing text as you requested. I will fix this at a later time.

Screenshot 2022-10-08 075636.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-08 075602.png

Quote Originally Posted by GavinC View Post
    This is such a downgrade. In what world is making the entire site not-searchable/images an upgrade? Because of mobile? Develop a proper site/pwa, don't take shortcuts with Flutter, it won't get you more users. I guess some people still have faith in Google tech.

But this is so bad in general. Poor design (wtf is up with the colours, accessibility much?), I can't search, I can't select/copy text/names/etc...

You want to gatekeep content? Well done. But that is not what the web is supposed to be about.
    Thank you for your valuable feedback. Please refer above about colors.

I will provide a solution for search/copy as stated in this thread before. But it is low on priority.

We provide CSV downloads for some core contents and will provide more options as our schedule frees up.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by GavinC View Post

A little rude and so impatient. The color scheme I'll go over with my graphics designer when I have time. The past month I've been occupied with a fantasy guide and getting dobbernomics out in time and making sure Geek works well. Not caring so much about colors during those days!

Search/copy/etc is coming soon, we've said that already.

Gatekeep content? You know me better than that. Patience, man. This was just released - and we had to release it a bit before 100% readiness because the season was looming and we had to get dobbernomics out as well. Get the basics out - enough to share starting goalie info, email notifications (huge work there) and a few other key things, then fix and improve after the season begins.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Sage

I am liking the dark theme much more than before. Light theme still needs work imo, but I'm not really an aesthetic person.

On a 27" monitor you only get two columns of cards with space. If the cards were shrunk just a tiny bit it could fit 3 columns (which would be better).
    Not sure if you can make thresholds for resizing the cards (as resizing too much distorts them). Might be too time consuming to do for right now.

Not sure the difference between Likely and Probable (maybe something to put in the FAQ).
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Software Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    I am liking the dark theme much more than before. Light theme still needs work imo, but I'm not really an aesthetic person.

On a 27" monitor you only get two columns of cards with space. If the cards were shrunk just a tiny bit it could fit 3 columns (which would be better).
    Not sure if you can make thresholds for resizing the cards (as resizing too much distorts them). Might be too time consuming to do for right now.

Not sure the difference between Likely and Probable (maybe something to put in the FAQ).
    Thank you. If you have any particular suggestion about light (or dark) theme or any design/area, I'm open to suggestions.

Here's how it looks on my 27". Can I see a screenshot of yours so I can understand what's going on?
    Screenshot 2022-10-08 211011.png

Probable is 50.1%
    Likely is 70%
    Confirmed is 99%

Yes, it was supposed to go in to FAQ but I believe when @Dobber went to add it, FAQ page was broken or something.

I will add it on UI too (maybe on hover).

Dobber Sports Sage

Hmm odd. I won't be home until Sunday night to take a screenshot. It's basically same as yours except only 2 columns (centred) of goalie cards instead of 3.

The Wolverine

To compare with others, this is how both light and dark themes look on my laptop:

Generally, I'm not a big fan of dark themes unless there is a significant contrast between the text/data and the background. This is very dark throughout so I would suggest all the text be lighter, especially on the matchup cards. Why not just white? I don't see the need to make the text pink. As for the colour scheme, I'll add my thoughts but I understand this is not as much as a priority as other areas. I'm not a fan of the colour scheme either (too much pink on a different shade of pink) but not sure what would work best. Something a bit more neutral and more contrast. Make the black text darker - I've seen this on other websites where the text is more dark grey than black and it's harder to read. The 'Probable Goalies' text colour on light mode is good - that should be the standard on all the text in light mode. Or maybe it's the pink that's making the player text stand out less.

I'm sure you've considered this but it's important to remember that not everyone has the same eyesight and screensize so if it's difficult to read then it could impact how often people visit the site.

By the way, slight tangent, but I'm still not a fan of the change from making the format less of a grid and more separate matchup cards. I much preferred previously when you can see them more quickly in an easy to view grid with less scrolling. I understand that others will want more data, and I accept that, but perhaps a compromise can be made where the additional data (i.e. stats, headshot etc.) can be hidden as standard and then there would be a link or a 'click here to expand' type functionality that brings more information. For those who would like just to see who's starting it would simplify things, which would save scrolling more down the page. But this is my opinion.

I appreciate you having to balance out the different needs of the users and the business.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    By the way, slight tangent, but I'm still not a fan of the change from making the format less of a grid and more separate matchup cards. I much preferred previously when you can see them more quickly in an easy to view grid with less scrolling. I understand that others will want more data, and I accept that, but perhaps a compromise can be made where the additional data (i.e. stats, headshot etc.) can be hidden as standard and then there would be a link or a 'click here to expand' type functionality that brings more information. For those who would like just to see who's starting it would simplify things, which would save scrolling more down the page. But this is my opinion.
    I too prefer the compact grid.
    I think it could be best done as an option toggle in your profile (like the light and dark theme).
    That way the user can set their preference. Caters to both user groups while negating additional clicks (annoying).

For dark theme maybe card background can also be black like the schedule or goalie feed. idk I'd have to see it then like it how it was before lol.

Software Engineer

I understand the theme is not perfect right now and we will improve it with time. If your request deviates too much from what we want the standard look to be, I will add additional themes/options for you. Just need time as DN needs urgent fixes/attention. At some point, we will have a pure black theme too where the background is pure black. This will be primarily for people with OLED display (mobile mainly but TVs and some desktop/laptops too).

As for compact grid, I already mentioned I'll add one. Again, just need some breathing room first.

@horrorfan what is your laptop resolution? I think I can reduce width of right column and get two cards for that res. And with compact layout, you should be able to have 3x3 cards in that space. Do you think that'll be fine?

Dobber Sports Icon

Updated contrast is a big improvement.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Riasat View Post
    I understand the theme is not perfect right now and we will improve it with time. If your request deviates too much from what we want the standard look to be, I will add additional themes/options for you. Just need time as DN needs urgent fixes/attention. At some point, we will have a pure black theme too where the background is pure black. This will be primarily for people with OLED display (mobile mainly but TVs and some desktop/laptops too).

As for compact grid, I already mentioned I'll add one. Again, just need some breathing room first.

@horrorfan what is your laptop resolution? I think I can reduce width of right column and get two cards for that res. And with compact layout, you should be able to have 3x3 cards in that space. Do you think that'll be fine?
    Re: The compact grid, sorry I had forgotten you had mentioned that previously.

Re: Screen resolution is 1366 x 768. Pardon my ignorance but will the compact layout make the text appear smaller? 2x2 would help but I can't tell how there will be enough space for 3x3 unless the text is shrunk. Though I will be getting a new laptop at some point so who knows how it'll look then. I don't suppose you have a draft view yet on how it will appear in compact view?

Thanks for your help.