Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I hate Matthews…but I drafted him…time to trade…

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: I hate Matthews…but I drafted him…time to trade…

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSport View Post
    I don’t agree with that. Are you saying nobody has ever received the right value for trading McDavid or Matthews or Draistaitl? I’m here because I know I need the right value to compete.

If you don’t want to help, you don’t need to. Thank you.
    I think he is saying that you are driven to trade based on your dislike of Matthews and not his actual value… it’s bad strategy to draft 10 goalies and be convinced you get dollar for every penny u have ( seen this many times and never works) and it’s bad idea to draft superstar with instant idea of trading him fore more than his value….but maybe you can pull it off GL
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I don’t agree with that. Are you saying nobody has ever received the right value for trading McDavid or Matthews or Draistaitl? I’m here because I know I need the right value to compete.

If you don’t want to help, you don’t need to. Thank you.
    People maximize value all the time. Even for top end assets. But less so when they start with “I hate the superstar that i choose to draft 2nd overall”. That strategy seems so counter intuitive. You will never get what you could have gotten on draft day trading down.

You choose to post on an open forum, your going to get all sorts of feedback. If you choose to ignore that feedback, that’s your prerogative.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Ok. But what’s done is done. I drafted him because I thought I could get multiple assets on Leaf fans hearts. If that strategy was wrong, what can I do about it now?

I have declined offer #1 because you all said it was bad.

Nobody has commented on offer #2. Everyone has chosen to bash me. I’m trying to make the best deal possible now, but apparently these forums aren’t what they used to be.

if a mod wants to close this, go ahead, because at this point, people aren’t helping.
    32 Team Dynasty~NHL cap using AAV
    2400+ players owned
    12F 6D 1G 4Bench, 57 Minors
    Scoring Cats: - Skaters 1G, 1A, 0.1 for (each SOG, H, Blk) - Goalies 1W, 1Shutout, .05 save
    12F - Panarin~Batherson~Kadri~Verhaeghe~
    Marchessault~Barbashev~N.Roy~Bjorkstrand~Sharangov ich~
    Pacioretty~Drouin~Joey Anderson
    6D - Carlson~Borgen~Ferraro~Middleton~Benoit
    1G - Shesterkin
    Minors (I have 57):
    Fwd:Kovalenko~Berggren~Dufour~N.Foote~M.Phillips~Rousek~ Posposil~Alexandrov~McMann~Lavoie
    D: Tucker~Z.Jones~Kaiser~A.Hirose~Mermis
    Livingstone~Korczak~J.Poirier~Ahcan~Emberson
    G: Hofer~Sandstrom~Annunen~Prosvetov~
    Stevenson~Tolopilo~Clang~Chrona~Fedotov

Dobber Sports Ace

I think people are helping, they're just not saying what you want them to. I hear: "you made a mistake, don't make another one". You hear: "no one approves of my bad decision, so they must be terrible people". At the end of the day you're not beholden to anything anyone on this forum offers up as advice. You're free to make an amazing deal and serve us crow if you can do it. But just because it's not what you want to hear, doesn't mean it isn't help.

Sidenote: If offer #2 was absolutely what you needed, someone would have said that by now
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Wizard

Ok. But what’s done is done. I drafted him because I thought I could get multiple assets on Leaf fans hearts. If that strategy was wrong, what can I do about it now?

Nobody has commented on offer #2. Everyone has chosen to bash me. I’m trying to make the best deal possible now, but apparently these forums aren’t what they used to be.

if a mod wants to close this, go ahead, because at this point, people aren’t helping.
    lol… getting pissy with posters here will definitely get you help you need….

few of your post are looking for general approval and not help… and from experience you won’t get far here with that general attitude

Administrator

People in here went above and beyond to help you. They didn't give you a bunch of validation. They gave you real advice. The best advice isn't what we want to hear, it's what we need to hear.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Lol. Your join date shows Aug 2022. They haven’t changed much in 1 month.

My best advice to you would be to come here before you implement a strategy like the one you decided to do so we can offer a little relevant guidance at the best possible time.

As for now… my best advice would be “you picked him… maybe try hanging on to him and winning your pool.” Ya never know, you may start to like Matthews when he starts filling the net for you.

Dobber Sports Icon

I don't blame the OP for being a little put out by some of the responses in this thread (even some from some well respected long time posters).

There is definitely some helpful feedback here, but many of the posts just come off as "hey that was stupid dummy, why would you make such a dumb decision?"

It's kind of hard for someone not to get a little defensive when everyone is piling on.

Again I don't hate the decision and if you could possibly land a Draisatl/Mackinnon/Kaprizov and additional assets from an overzealous Leaf fan, then it works out.

But so far I don't like either of the offers you've recieved enough to pu the trigger. Even if you hate Matthews, at this point it may be best to hang on to him and flip him when a Leaf fan gets frustrated with his team mid-season
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    I don't blame the OP for being a little put out by some of the responses in this thread (even some from some well respected long time posters).

There is definitely some helpful feedback here, but many of the posts just come off as "hey that was stupid dummy, why would you make such a dumb decision?"

It's kind of hard for someone not to get a little defensive when everyone is piling on.

Again I don't hate the decision and if you could possibly land a Draisatl/Mackinnon/Kaprizov and additional assets from an overzealous Leaf fan, then it works out.

But so far I don't like either of the offers you've recieved enough to pu the trigger. Even if you hate Matthews, at this point it may be best to hang on to him and flip him when a Leaf fan gets frustrated with his team mid-season
    Thank you. I’m new to salary and dynasty and thought it would be easy to flip Matthews to Leaf fan for a kings ransom. That hasn’t been the case, so I will accept my poor drafting strategy and keep Matthews as I do feel like I at least drafted well. This salary cap and dynasty is a whole new wrinkle and I am struggling with my valuations of everything.
    2400+ players owned
    Scoring Cats: - Skaters 1G, 1A, 0.1 for (each SOG, H, Blk) - Goalies 1W, 1Shutout, .05 save
    1G - Shesterkin
    Minors (I have 57):
    Fwd:Kovalenko~Berggren~Dufour~N.Foote~M.Phillips~Rousek~ Posposil~Alexandrov~McMann~Lavoie

Dobber Sports Wizard

Thank you. I’m new to salary and dynasty and thought it would be easy to flip Matthews to Leaf fan for a kings ransom. That hasn’t been the case, so I will accept my poor drafting strategy and keep Matthews as I do feel like I at least drafted well. This salary cap and dynasty is a whole new wrinkle and I am struggling with my valuations of everything.
    than come to get help not justification, take the advice from havanablast and next time come here before you make the move if you dont trust yourself to make one since you are new to this. We all do want to help but this situation is already a loss unless you keep Matthews.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Whether I’m a fan of your strategy or not is moot at this point. You have Matthews. Be happy with him on your roster unless someone sends an offer too good to turn down.
    Or
    If you hadn’t implemented this strategy , and dislike Matthews that much , perhaps one of the top 5 of your draft list could be had in trade for Matthews.
    Regardless of what happens, accept it as a learning experience, time to move on. Hope it goes better for you going forward.
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    4 weekly goalie appearances minimum
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett
    LW: E.Kane, Kaprizov
    LW/C: Draisaitl, Stutzle
    RW: Marner
    RW/C: T.Thompson, Necas
    RW/LW: Svechnikov
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Sergachev, Gudas
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Dobber Sports Jedi

He'll lead the league in goals by a sizeable margin
    Top 5 in points
    Top 5 in shots
    Provides 1 hit per game
    And 50-ish blocks

Take a piece of tape and cover his name.
    It's not the name that matters. It's the stats.

Hate the player in real life... fine.
    Love the stat line in fantasy.
    (has to a really good player to hate this much)
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    He'll lead the league in goals by a sizeable margin
    Top 5 in points
    Top 5 in shots
    Provides 1 hit per game
    And 50-ish blocks

Take a piece of tape and cover his name.
    It's not the name that matters. It's the stats.

Hate the player in real life... fine.
    Love the stat line in fantasy.
    (has to a really good player to hate this much)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Whether I’m a fan of your strategy or not is moot at this point. You have Matthews. Be happy with him on your roster unless someone sends an offer too good to turn down.
    Or
    If you hadn’t implemented this strategy , and dislike Matthews that much , perhaps one of the top 5 of your draft list could be had in trade for Matthews.
    Regardless of what happens, accept it as a learning experience, time to move on. Hope it goes better for you going forward.
    I’m starting to understand value. I feel like I received a good third offer of Lindholm, Seider, D.Toews, Kasper, 1st in 2023 and 1st in 2024, but because there is no “star” coming back like everyone said, I guess the depth and better contracts don’t matter as much as I figured in my first attempt at these leagues.
    2400+ players owned
    1G - Shesterkin
    Minors (I have 57):

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Thats the exact reason why I started this thread to see if any of the offers were good enough. I admitted in the OP I was new to these types of leagues. People got upset that I hate Matthews and basically called me an idiot for multiple reasons.
    2400+ players owned
    1G - Shesterkin
    Minors (I have 57):

Dobber Sports Star

Lindholm, Seider, D.Toews, Kasper, 1st in 2023 and 1st in 2024

This is an EXCELLENT offer.

In a salary cap league, it is all about $/P ratios, and maximizing those. In order to spend big on huge stars, you need to have cheap players who produce.

In your scoring setup, someone like Seider is a player to build around. Let's say he's good for 50 points, 150 shots, 150 blocks, 150 hits. That's roughly 95 FP in your setup, and he's on his ELC ($0.9M), which is a monster $/FP ratio. 95FP/0.9M = 105FP/$M. For context, Adam Fox put up 71 P, 162 SOG, 33 hits, 136 blocks, which is worth 104 FP in your setup, for $9.5M. $10.9 FP/$M.

I'd guess Josi was the top D producer last year? His shot/hit/block numbers are very strong... I'd guess that kept him above Makar. Both of those guys are in to $9M+ range though, so that probably has them in the 12-15FP/$M range.

Can you drop players or are you stuck with them? If you can drop them then it's easy enough to solve cap issues... but on the whole I think this is an excellent offer, and would probably take it.

EDIT: thinking about this even further, the torque to winning with rosters this deep is going to be balance. Not being too top-heavy, not being bottom heavy. So you shouldn't own any D that don't have a minimum of 300 SOG+hits+blocks, and you should be aiming to get that as high as possible. Getting 6 solid D will cover many many sins at F.