Thread: I’m a rookie at this.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default I’m a rookie at this.

Hi guys, this is my first attempt at anything over 12 teams and anything to do with dynasty and salary cap. We are 38 rounds into the inaugural draft and I drafted a team to go for it. The league seems amazing, well run and everyone seems engaged, but I chose to go for it just because who knows how long the league will actually be around. If we trade future picks, we have to pay for that year in advance. I like that.

Anyway, I’ve already got my 23 man roster set and my plan was to rotate 4 minors in and out daily…including my goalie spot where I didn’t draft a goalie that isn’t a minor (50 GP or under…82 for skaters). I think maximizing GP daily is a big advantage so after I had a good pro roster, I’m now drafting minors that could play.

I’m slightly over the cap which is same as NHL, but Stastny for me still shows as over 3 million. Once he signs for less, I will be right at the cap.

I don’t really know value of picks or players in this style of league, but other GM’s are being helpful.

I just received this offer and have no clue what to think of it yet. No trades have happened yet as they can’t be made until after our 50 rounds of drafting. Each year after this one, it is 7 rounds (just like NHL.)

In saying that, someone offered me Saros (drafted 1st round, 26th overall) for J.Staal, Holloway, Fedotov, my 2023 1st and my 2024 1st.

I don’t know what to think. Even though I’m an extremely active trader, I feel like I need to see some trades happen in this league first.

There is no tying is to contracts, no buyouts - we can drop with no penalty. When you acquire a player he comes with his full AAV even if it is halfway through the year.

People that have experience in these leagues, is that a good deal? If I left important details out, let me know.
    32 Team Dynasty~NHL cap using AAV
    2400+ players owned
    12F 6D 1G 4Bench, 57 Minors
    Scoring Cats: - Skaters 1G, 1A, 0.1 for (each SOG, H, Blk) - Goalies 1W, 1Shutout, .05 save
    12F - Panarin~Batherson~Kadri~Verhaeghe~
    Marchessault~Barbashev~N.Roy~Bjorkstrand~Sharangov ich~
    Pacioretty~Drouin~Joey Anderson
    6D - Carlson~Borgen~Ferraro~Middleton~Benoit
    1G - Shesterkin
    Minors (I have 57):
    Fwd:Kovalenko~Berggren~Dufour~N.Foote~M.Phillips~Rousek~ Posposil~Alexandrov~McMann~Lavoie
    D: Tucker~Z.Jones~Kaiser~A.Hirose~Mermis
    Livingstone~Korczak~J.Poirier~Ahcan~Emberson
    G: Hofer~Sandstrom~Annunen~Prosvetov~
    Stevenson~Tolopilo~Clang~Chrona~Fedotov

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: I’m a rookie at this.

Personally I think it’s way too much to pay…having said that u know your league better than me…if this put u as a top 4-6 team with got chance at winning u do anything that creates that for you…
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

That’s the thing, I don’t know my league and this is my first time doing anything in the dynast and cap realm. It does seem like a lot though.
    2400+ players owned
    Scoring Cats: - Skaters 1G, 1A, 0.1 for (each SOG, H, Blk) - Goalies 1W, 1Shutout, .05 save
    1G - Shesterkin
    Minors (I have 57):
    Fwd:Kovalenko~Berggren~Dufour~N.Foote~M.Phillips~Rousek~ Posposil~Alexandrov~McMann~Lavoie

Dobber Sports Deity

It's expensive but you have nothing for goaltending. How do you expect to "go for it" without a goalie?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    It's expensive but you have nothing for goaltending. How do you expect to "go for it" without a goalie?
    My thinking was that I always have minimum salary in my goalie spot but can rotate 4 backup goalies (as of right now) in and out, which could actually give me more GP at the position than other teams. It also allows me to spend more money at forward where the points are worth more.
    2400+ players owned
    1G - Shesterkin
    Minors (I have 57):

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSport View Post
    My thinking was that I always have minimum salary in my goalie spot but can rotate 4 backup goalies (as of right now) in and out, which could actually give me more GP at the position than other teams. It also allows me to spend more money at forward where the points are worth more.
    I didn’t see this till Axe pointed it out and he is right…

Problem with you strategy is that at best You drafted one backup (Delia) and rest be lucky to play 10 games combined this year… u need more but I still think it’s too much for Saros

Dobber Sports Deity

So your league doesn't require a minimum amount of starts each week to get your goalie points?

It feels like your plan is seriously flawed by ignoring a key part of your team.

I would counter the offer with a 2nd in 2024 instead of the 1st and pray he accepts.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    So your league doesn't require a minimum amount of starts each week to get your goalie points?

It feels like your plan is seriously flawed by ignoring a key part of your team.

I would counter the offer with a 2nd in 2024 instead of the 1st and pray he accepts.
    No minimum goalie starts. Just need to have a goalie in the spot each day.
    2400+ players owned
    1G - Shesterkin
    Minors (I have 57):

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    I didn’t see this till Axe pointed it out and he is right…

Problem with you strategy is that at best You drafted one backup (Delia) and rest be lucky to play 10 games combined this year… u need more but I still think it’s too much for Saros
    Dobbers guide says my goalies will play 91 games total. That’s more than most other teams that have two pro goalies with one of them only allowed to play a night. That, to me, is wasted space and wasted cap.
    2400+ players owned
    1G - Shesterkin
    Minors (I have 57):

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSport View Post
    Dobbers guide says my goalies will play 91 games total. That’s more than most other teams that have two pro goalies with one of them only allowed to play a night. That, to me, is wasted space and wasted cap.
    Welcome to the site, and wonderful world of dynasty hockey.

I've got a few thoughts, and I play dynasty cap hockey in a very deep league.We have 900 players rostered.

1. Your goaltending is NOT good enough. The issue is that most of those guys won't get many games, if any, and you can't predict if they will play on conflicting nights, but it's unlikely. With 2 pro goalies you can easily get over 100 starts a year with daily moves and no limits. You're underestimating the value of saves generating points, and they will generate a LOT of points. 20 saves is a point. Most goalies will score 1.25 points per game when they don't win then add on anything for wins. You may want to see how many points the goalies on say, Detroit, scored last year per game.

2. With this many teams and this little goaltending depth, you need to be the first guy to grab goalies that get called up out of nowhere. That an help you.

3.This is expensive, but Saros is a great goalie in this format. I'd definitely counter with removing the 2023 1st.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Ok guys. Since you know best, I countered the offer by replacing J.Staal with Brodin as the guy said he only added Staal for cap reasons in the deal.

I offered Brodin, Holloway, Fedotov, 2023 1st and 2024 1st for Saros. We will see if you accepts what is essentially the same offer he gave me.

I hope you guys are right about me needing a goalie badly.
    2400+ players owned
    1G - Shesterkin
    Minors (I have 57):

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Looking at your goalies, they won’t play much and certainly not 91 games. Most/all dynasty leagues I’ve been in have a cycling rule so you may come unstuck if trying to move goalies from minors to main every matchup. What I mean here is a maximum number of minors callous per week.
    I think you take that offer and don’t look back. This will give you a top goalie that will really fill out your team.
    To me Staal is a guy you should want to move anyway, he’s expensive and getting on in age. Your loosing 2 good prospects and 2 1sts but usually in leagues like this goalies come at a premium and good one are very hard to obtain.
    If you want a win now team then accept this offer, haggling to change a 1st for a 2nd might not work out.
    If you believe you team is good enough with Saros then both those 1sts will be late round picks anyway. Perhaps compare your team to others before pulling the trigger but in my experience in these inaugural drafts most teams go for a mix of player/prospects rather then a win now team.

Trade was accepted.

My Brodin, Holloway, Fedotov, 2023 1st and 2024 1st for Saros. I have the a goalie you guys said I should get.

Thank you and I will rep you all.
    2400+ players owned
    1G - Shesterkin
    Minors (I have 57):