Thread: 2022 Entry Draft

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default 2022 Entry Draft

Hey guys. With our dynasty league draft looming (24 teams, 32 keepers, multicat scoring G,A,PTS, PPP,Sh,Hits,Blks) I have a decision to make. I pick 6th overall and I知 torn in what to do. I知 a proponent of best player available as skill is the hardest commodity to come by. I have heard from numerous sources that Frank Nazar may well have the highest ceiling in this draft. However it痴 also quite likely that David Jiricek will be available as well as Matthew Savoie at pick 6. Of course I cannot predict what other owners will do and our drafts are at times unpredictable (Eklund went 1st overall last year, power and Beniers dropped to 7 and 8 I think.)
    So it痴 possible one of Cooley, Wright, Slaf or Nemec drop and if they do I値l be swooping in. However I知 heavily leaning toward Nazar. What are my fellow poolies thoughts on this?
    For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. Romans 10:13

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: 2022 Entry Draft

Quote Originally Posted by DangerCat View Post
    Hey guys. With our dynasty league draft looming (24 teams, 32 keepers, multicat scoring G,A,PTS, PPP,Sh,Hits,Blks) I have a decision to make. I pick 6th overall and I’m torn in what to do. I’m a proponent of best player available as skill is the hardest commodity to come by. I have heard from numerous sources that Frank Nazar may well have the highest ceiling in this draft. However it’s also quite likely that David Jiricek will be available as well as Matthew Savoie at pick 6. Of course I cannot predict what other owners will do and our drafts are at times unpredictable (Eklund went 1st overall last year, power and Beniers dropped to 7 and 8 I think.)
    So it’s possible one of Cooley, Wright, Slaf or Nemec drop and if they do I’ll be swooping in. However I’m heavily leaning toward Nazar. What are my fellow poolies thoughts on this?
    I evaluate my options based on 4 factors in order of priority:

1. Positional demand: I bump their value in this order: RW, LW, C, D, G-
    2. Team opportunity: The above order gets adjusted if the team that drafted the player needs a player badly at that position but the above order would still apply if there was a tie
    3. Overall upside. Do they have any standout attributes that make them a better choice for your format
    4. How immediate is the payoff? I will always take forwards ahead of anything else because I will know what I have alot faster than with D or G. Unless the D is a an exceptional talent, I'll lean towards the forward. Goalies I never draft in the 1st.

For these reasons I applaud Pengwin's sound decision to take Slaf at #1 in his league. For you I would be aiming for Slaf, Wright, Cooley, Nazar, Jiricek, Savoie in that order. Nemec is a red herring, he's not a getting a chance at high quality minutes for at least 3-4 years. You can't go wrong with any of those forwards really imo, and you're almost guaranteed to get one of them. At the very least their name value will give you a hot trade commodity.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by random-d View Post
    I evaluate my options based on 4 factors in order of priority:

1. Positional demand: I bump their value in this order: RW, LW, C, D, G-
    2. Team opportunity: The above order gets adjusted if the team that drafted the player needs a player badly at that position but the above order would still apply if there was a tie
    3. Overall upside. Do they have any standout attributes that make them a better choice for your format
    4. How immediate is the payoff? I will always take forwards ahead of anything else because I will know what I have alot faster than with D or G. Unless the D is a an exceptional talent, I'll lean towards the forward. Goalies I never draft in the 1st.

For these reasons I applaud Pengwin's sound decision to take Slaf at #1 in his league. For you I would be aiming for Slaf, Wright, Cooley, Nazar, Jiricek, Savoie in that order. Nemec is a red herring, he's not a getting a chance at high quality minutes for at least 3-4 years. You can't go wrong with any of those forwards really imo, and you're almost guaranteed to get one of them. At the very least their name value will give you a hot trade commodity.
    I知 grateful I知 not the only one who likes Nazar. I知 surprised to hear this about Nemec though with Luke Hughes (who I own and got at pick 10 last year) emergence and Hamilton/Severson as staples I can see why you would say that. Thank you for your take much appreciated!

Dobber Sports Superstar

I don't know how many threads we have seen like this one but its a big number. I started one myself drafting 5th overall.

https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...ke-5th-Overall

While there is significant consensus on who the top 6 are, the rankings and player preferences are all over the map. As random-d has pointed out, who you choose is typically based on the 4 factors he defines, a fifth is if you are just gaga over a certain player. As you state, you never know what other GM's are going to do and with this draft class the "going off the board factor" may be even more likely given the variance in actual ranking. The majority consensus on the top six is as follows:

Slaf, Cooley, Nemec, Wright, Savoie and Nazar. Jiricek is a very strong honorable mention.

Based on your needs in accordance with the 4 factors already discussed is the way you go. Pretty simple eh?? (:
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf