7 53.85%
  • Pastrnak 6.67M$/1 year

3 23.08%
  • Robertson RFA

3 23.08%

Thread: Help with last forward keeper

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Help with last forward keeper

Without debating why I wouldn't keep all 3 or 2 of them, if you had to pick a last keeper who would it be?

Kucherov 9.5M$ / 5 years
    Pastrnak 6.67M$ / 1 year
    Robertson RFA

League in sig. Pts only limited keeper. Really hoping Robertson signs before our drop date of August 11.

Thanks.
    8 Teams - Season long points only limited keeper (7F, 4D, 1G) cap league using cap hit
    Active lineup : 20 (12F, 6D, 2G)
    Bench: 6 (3F, 2D, 1G)
    10 trades for FAs + 10 moves between lineup and bench
    G (1 pt), A (1), W (2), SO (2), OTL (1)

F: McDavid, Stutzle, Hischier, Hyman, Konecny, Raymond, Perfetti, Guentzel, Bratt, Drouin, JT Miller, Peterka, Guenther, L. Carlsson, Zary
    D: Makar, Q. Hughes, Malinski, Durzi, Harley, Sanderson, Clarke, Lundkvist
    G:Sorokin, Demko, Georgiev
    NHL cap : $83.5 cap (bench doesn't count against cap)

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Help with last forward keeper

im confused, do you keep 7 forwards? i dont know how those are last 3 you choosing form if thats a case. If i need to pick 1 its probably Pasta due to contract.

However following would be my 7 keepers

Mcdavid
    Pasta
    Kucherov,
    Hubs,
    Guentzel
    Robertson

Last one, for this year Fiala, for future Zegras , i think it be easier to redraft fiala
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    im confused, do you keep 7 forwards? i dont know how those are last 3 you choosing form if thats a case. If i need to pick 1 its probably Pasta due to contract.
    Hence the ''Without debating why I wouldn't keep all 3 or 2 of them''.

Its a complicated subject but everyone in my league is obsessed with getting the productive low salary players and my first pick this year is at round 5 so keeping Zegras, Raymond and Kyrou is actually a better strategy if I look at past drafts. A few years ago I drafted McDavid at round 5 and Carlson at round 6 because previous owners weren't able to win with them and thought it was because of their cap hit, so they didn't protect them and I was almost 100% sure I could draft them at those rounds and was right. Since then I got 2 championships and a 2nd place in 3 years. It's all about knowing your league.

I am gonna send out trade offers for Kyrou though so I can replace him with another of the 3 mentioned.
    8 Teams - Season long points only limited keeper (7F, 4D, 1G) cap league using cap hit

F: McDavid, Stutzle, Hischier, Hyman, Konecny, Raymond, Perfetti, Guentzel, Bratt, Drouin, JT Miller, Peterka, Guenther, L. Carlsson, Zary

Dobber Sports Ace

If you are only thinking about this next year, then it's got to be Pasternak, even with all the uncertainty and injuries in Boston. Beyond that, as contracts even up, it's Kucherov for me.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Ill go Kuch as he legitimately can go 120 points if all goes right. You just take it.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

The info on your league is really helpful for me, because it points me to "Not Kucherov". he's expensive, has been hurt a bunch lately, and if McDavid went in round 5 due his salary, Kucherov will drop as well.

I'd prefer Robertson & Pastrnak over Kyrou, so I would definitely look at a trade there. Voted Robertson.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I might be the only one, but I find it weird that Kyrou gets no love here. At 2.8M$ he is great in cap leagues. Even if he drops down to around 70 pts it's still great value.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinxyz View Post
    I might be the only one, but I find it weird that Kyrou gets no love here. At 2.8M$ he is great in cap leagues. Even if he drops down to around 70 pts it's still great value.
    Probably because he isn't one of the options in the poll?
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by random-d View Post
    Probably because he isn't one of the options in the poll?
    If you read the comments I mentioned I might try and trade him and stevegamer agreed with that. Belexus75 lists his keepers and doesn't list him. I also posted another thread probably about 1 month ago asking who my keepers should be and no one selected Kyrou.

Maybe I should have just asked if Kyrou should be one of my keepers in this league format!?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think Kyrou could be solid value, but I trust the 3 guys in the poll more to produce. It seems to me that Kyrou is the kind of guy who will be heavily desired in your league, and can net you a better pick than the more proven guys. I suspect Robertson may come in cheaper than we think, which would also make him a great value.

That's the reason I suggested trading Kyrou, if I wasn't clear.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Wizard

2.8m player with 60 points is only better then 8mil player with 80 points if you have no cap space. We have no idea what is your cap situation and i will not create spreadsheet just to figure out your cap...so we go on player value based on performance.

As for Kyrou this year he will be great value in cap leagues but next year he will probably be pretty poor value. I also think that STL window is going to be closing soon and there will be a retooling period which will hurt Kyrou and others.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Superstar

For me it is still Kucherov. Injuries remain a concern, but he has a fair contract for a guy with 100+ point potential and for whatever reason I think he plays 70+ games this year. You don't mention how cap crunched you are and so its hard to determine the exact right play but given your lineup I would be looking to go with a hard "expensive/cheap" split strategy. Lock down great keepers who you pay for and then supplement that with a lot of cheap streamers as the season goes on.

You had both McDavid and Kuch last year and the remainder of your bench was still quality guys so I assume it is possible again.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    You don't mention how cap crunched you are and so its hard to determine the exact right play but given your lineup I would be looking to go with a hard "expensive/cheap" split strategy. Lock down great keepers who you pay for and then supplement that with a lot of cheap streamers as the season goes on.
    Here's my thinking on this. We have a cap of 82.5M$ for 20 active players so it comes down to 4.125M$/player. As LawMan said a part of it is going with the expensive/cheap split strategy but also add in the players that are around the 4.125M$. So as of right now (because I keep changing my mind), lets assume I keep Kucherov, I would have the following keepers (12 total so 3/5 of active roster):

McDavid
    Zegras
    Raymond

explanation : McDavid earns about 3 times the average salary/player, so Zegras and Raymond on ELCs balances that out. Don't think I'll get to pick as productive players on ELCs at the draft.

Kucherov
    Swayman

explanation : So I decided few years back that goalies were too hard to predict from year to year so why not just go with cheap options. Sways balances out Kucherov's salary

Huberdeau
    Guentzel
    Kyrou

explanation : All three add up to 4.87M$/player...close enough

Theodore
    Chychrun
    Gostisbehere
    Q. Hughes

explanation : nothing really just the 4 most valuable I think. A little over the pts/player needed but not too bad.

That brings my total protected cap to 61.625M$ for 12 players out of 20 against cap of 82.5M$. I've already narrowed down most other GMs keeper lists by talking with them (real life friends) and the GM protecting the less salary is around the 42M$ and the highest around the 55M$. So I'm already over all others and I am not keeper all my ''best'' players. I'm left with 20.875M$ for 8 players left to draft which comes to only 2.6M$/player.

So as you see I'll already have to draft some ELCs to add 1-3 decent contracts. I think it would be near impossible to draft value picks like Zegras, Raymond and Kyrou as opposed to drafting a few decent contracts that will bring good value. Most ELCs drafted are either ''busts'' in their first few years or might rack up 35-50 pts max... unless like most years I hit one out of the park (last year Raymond).

Now I'm back with the ''who's my last keeper''. Kucherov highest upside with ok contract and years left. Pasta with very good $ value but just 1 year left. And Robertson who I'm really hoping signs before Thursday midnight so I can get a clearer picture. Trades are almost impossible in my league right now. Only offer I got was a 4th rounder for Pasta. I'll also add that we are adding an 8th GM this year who'll pick his 12 first players out of all FAs left after we hand in our keeper lists. And we are possibly adding a 9th GM next year so contract length becomes even more important as it will become harder and harder at draft day.

With all this being said, if you are still reading this... thank you and I praise your patience.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Update :

I traded Pasta for a draft pick + pick upgrade. The best and only offer I had was a 4th rounder + upgraded my tenth to a seventh. Very low return for Pasta but the 4th rounded is now my best pick this coming draft.

Handing in my list tomorrow. So far Kucherov is ahead... anyone a Robertson fan that would risk keeping him and hope for a bridge deal?

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinxyz View Post
    Update :

I traded Pasta for a draft pick + pick upgrade. The best and only offer I had was a 4th rounder + upgraded my tenth to a seventh. Very low return for Pasta but the 4th rounded is now my best pick this coming draft.

Handing in my list tomorrow. So far Kucherov is ahead... anyone a Robertson fan that would risk keeping him and hope for a bridge deal?
    I would be shocked if he signed a bridge deal - you're looking at a Suzuki or Norris-type deal I would think, and likely higher.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper