Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Thoughts on the Brittney Griner situation?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Thoughts on the Brittney Griner situation?

I feel bad for Paul Whelan... he's been held hostage since 2018 but since NBA stars and other celebs aren't making noise for him I guess the US gov is fine just leaving him over there to rot.

Good know that foreign hostage taking is still an effective strategy to get your own criminals free as demonstrated by China and Russia.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Let’s be clear…this was in no way about drugs.. That was the complete bs premise the Russian scum bags used to arrest her. She was there trying to play pro ball and make some money. Should she have been there? Probably not the best move. But not unreasonable either. The Russians are thugs and the rule of law has no meaning there. They got exactly what they wanted out of this.

To those that say she deserved it or ask how she feels about ‘Merica now I say **** off. I severed in the US Air Force for over 20 years. I spent some time in front line/real shithole duties. I served so people in this country can do exactly what she did without fear of reprisal. When an athlete protests the anthem it makes me proud. I would not choose to do that. But I take it as an acknowledgment that what I did in serving my country means something. My protection of my fellow Americans freedom does not come with any caveats and that’s how it should be.
    I can't tell you how refreshing it is to hear this. About the Griner situation, I have posted a lot on social media and the haters are savage. So many calls of "The land of the Free! You have to stand for the Anthem with no exception!". Doesn't sound very "free" to me...

I have read a few books in the past several months specifically because of the Griner situation including "Everyday Law in Russia" by Kathryn Hendley and "The Treatment of Prisoners under International Law"
    by Nigel Rodley. I also read everything I could about the Griner situation because I wanted to be informed. I tried to be open minded and objective. I was often met by insults from people who were happy Griner was suffering. Many of them disingenuously claiming that she is a criminal and deserves this, rather than at least admitting that they just don't like her because of her stance on the national anthem. Whenever I would ask them if they had taken any time to look into the facts of the case, they would always ask me "have you?". After telling them of the research I had done, I would always be met with "oh, so you read a couple books and now you are an expert?"

There is no other known case in history where somebody was sentenced to 9 years or more in Russia for possessing less than a gram of cannabis oil. There is no other know case in Russia where somebody was charged with the crime of "smuggling" for having less than a gram of cannabis oil. The charge of "smuggling" in Russia is typically reserved for people who import large quantities of narcotics with the intent to distribute. She had less than a gram so clearly that was not the case. People can hate her for protesting social injustices during the National Anthem, but it is very clear, Griner was without question, a political pawn who was
    leveraged by Russia.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Veteran

Hopefully reports come out that the US got some conditional draft picks/future considerations. If not this may have been the worst trade in the history of trades.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    Hopefully reports come out that the US got some conditional draft picks/future considerations. If not this may have been the worst trade in the history of trades.
    Future considerations from Russia... "we promise not to nuke you"