Thread: Help a first time cap player out!

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Help a first time cap player out!

First time ever player in a cap league. Decided to play for future out of the draft. Hows my team lookin?
    Still a few rds left in main draft and then theres a prospect draft. I know i kinda missed out on goalies and i have a bit of a hole at center.
    Salaries match aav and ufa extensions are allowed.
    C Quinton Byfield
    C Alex Newhook
    W Jake Debrusk
    W Clayton Keller
    W Filip Zadina
    W Cole Caufield
    W Logan O’Connor
    W RyanDonato
    W Bobby Brink
    D Adam Fox
    D Ty Smith
    D Jordan Spence
    D Calen Addison
    D Juuso Valimaki
    G Kaapo Kahkonen
    G Kevin Lankinen

The Great One

Default Re: Help a first time cap player out!

How many teams and how many goalies start?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    How many teams and how many goalies start?
    32 teams 1 goalie starts

The Great One

I probably should have been more helpful in my post above. Would be helpful if you posted your full league details. H2H or Roto? What are the categories? How many start at each position? Bench size? Prospect roster? You've already identified the two glaring gaps: goalies are impossible (and overvalued) in every format, but especially deep leagues. And if you count FOW, then yeah, that's a huge hole too. But a 32 team league, it's going to be a shallow roster. I don't have much experience in quite that deep (I usually play 16, the most I've done is 24).

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I probably should have been more helpful in my post above. Would be helpful if you posted your full league details. H2H or Roto? What are the categories? How many start at each position? Bench size? Prospect roster? You've already identified the two glaring gaps: goalies are impossible (and overvalued) in every format, but especially deep leagues. And if you count FOW, then yeah, that's a huge hole too. But a 32 team league, it's going to be a shallow roster. I don't have much experience in quite that deep (I usually play 16, the most I've done is 24).
    It is h2h. 3 centers, 3 LW, 3 RW, 4 D, 9 reserves. Its points not cats so fow isnt the biggest issue with centers. Just need to fill the last starting center spot and theres not a lot left. Nobody wants to take toews on his current contract so i will probably end up trying to bid for him post draft and i have 2nd most cap space so i should be able to get him if i really want.
    Theres 35 minors slots, but we are still yet to have the minors draft that only includes people who havent played in nhl yet.
    The over valuation of goalies was the reason i missed out. Once i missed on the top 10 or so i was fine waiting a while to take kahkonen.
    Thanks for the help btw!

Dobber Sports Rookie

Update: I just drafted Brett Howden for my last center spot

Dobber Sports Ace

I haven't been involved in a 32 team league before, so I can't really speak too much to how good the roster looks, given your goal of starting young and hoping that the players become something.

What I do wonder, is if it would be a good idea to explore trading Adam Fox for two or three really strong pieces from another team? I know that "the best player wins the trade", and "not to trade your dimes for a dollar", but I think that there are too many question marks on your team to really feel confident that you'll be a contender in the future. Fox is a total stud, but he's the only player who really stands out and excites me on your team (yes, Byfield SHOULD be something good, Keller is fine, Caufield, Addison, Newhook... ya ... they could develop into solid top line players, but I don't see them as superstars). I just don't know that there is enough there at the moment that will mature into a competitive team. Again, back to my first statement - I have never played in a league this large before, so I could be way off base here.

Probably not what you were hoping to hear, but maybe others will see something that I don't.

Best of luck!

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I am a bit confused. Is that an inaugural draft team in OP? If that's a case, I hate to say it but this "loading up for a future" strategies don't work and been done to death...especially in a league of this size. It's a wishful thinking to save dollars now and one day they will all become FH stars, it just doesn't work this way. It may take years for all those young players to become fantasy relevant and even then, there's no guaranties they will become FH studs needed to be competitive. I mean, I hate to nag as we all started from somewhere but I don't see a bright future here as Tobias indicated. Sure, its nice to have Fox, and Caufield/Byfield will be great assets some day, but beyond that...? Especially considering that the 32-teams leagues have a very short shelf life and a heavy turnover

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Yeah I don’t mean to bum you out but I think you’ve just drafted yourself into a huge hole and those can be hard to get out of. in such a big league it’s so difficult to keep a deep team of talent to be competitive, and there’s just way too much risk here. Just auditing this lineup off the bat players that I think are trending downwards/I wouldn’t take the bet on: zadina, donato, smith, Spence, and valimaki. Brink and Addison are both how many seasons away from any NHL impact, if ever? O’Connor is doing what in a points league?

To me those are clear weaknesses or straight up holes on your roster. To be honest, if I were you I’d immediate start looking to see if other teams still see upside in players like zadina and smith for more proven NHLers, or want to trade a player for a prospect like brink or Addison and build that way. Otherwise strap in for a long long rebuild and hope you get Bedard next year.

Did you take Adam Fox with your first pick, and if so who 2nd?

The Great One

32 teams x 35 minors spots? That's 1,120 prospects. So basically if a team is crap there is no hope of fixing it.

I think you need to target a potential start goalie with your first pick (Askarov, Wallstedt, etc.). But it's very possible they will all be gone before you pick.

Dobber Sports Ace

This is the kind of league where a player like McDavid can singlehandedly win the league. Because it's unlikely any other team has more than one player that can come close to his pt totals and close won't be good enough when the rest of the roster is roughly equal for everyone. There's no desirable waiver options, there's no way to stack a farm team, you just have to hope he gets injured.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Prodigy

As an experienced 32-team league player over the years, unfortunately I will have to agree with the majority here in that this is not an ideal way to build a competitive roster. You need 1-2 studs at both F and D, followed by really solid depth. For context, I've below are the 12 most productive players on my team last year that I have since left in which I finished 7th out of 32. The teams who finished ahead of me more or less had similar rosters but better goaltending and more depth after the top end of their team.

Landeskog
    Kuznetsov
    Schenn
    Zegras
    Konecny
    Vrana
    Pionk
    Okposo
    Whitecloud
    Sillinger
    Campbell in net

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex71 View Post
    I am a bit confused. Is that an inaugural draft team in OP? If that's a case, I hate to say it but this "loading up for a future" strategies don't work and been done to death...especially in a league of this size. It's a wishful thinking to save dollars now and one day they will all become FH stars, it just doesn't work this way. It may take years for all those young players to become fantasy relevant and even then, there's no guaranties they will become FH studs needed to be competitive. I mean, I hate to nag as we all started from somewhere but I don't see a bright future here as Tobias indicated. Sure, its nice to have Fox, and Caufield/Byfield will be great assets some day, but beyond that...? Especially considering that the 32-teams leagues have a very short shelf life and a heavy turnover
    it does work if done right but its not a good team for OP.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones