Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Matthew Tkachuk Trade?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Matthew Tkachuk Trade?

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    If he signed is QO, he's a UFA next summer. If he goes to arbitration, he can select a 1 year arbitration award and be a UFA next year. You can't be this naive, Calgary has close to zero leverage.

The only two options are:

1) Sign Tkachuk to a 4+ year contract before arbitration

2) Trade him.

If he says he's not doing 1, you have to do 2.
    A Tkachuk playing hardball on contract negotiations. Shocking!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Superstar

What a shit show!! We'll see what kind of damage control comes into play, but the Flames are taking it on the chin, Chicago North (:
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    A Tkachuk playing hardball on contract negotiations. Shocking!
    So you are just that naive then. There is a big difference between playing hardball and having a very easy and viable path to walking your way to UFA status. The former is what both Brady and Matt did on their contract out of ELC, the latter is presumably what Matt has told Treliving he intends to do this time. Would love to hear what leverage, oh wise Axeman, you think the Flames have here, other than "he's an RFA". He's not an RFA with the Flames holding and controlling his rights for the next 2 to 4 years. He's an RFA with an easy path to UFA status in one single season, and walking for free. Tkachuk holds all the leverage, the Flames have none.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Honestly, who wants to live in Calgary?
    Keeper's league, points only, 24 teams league Skaters: 1 pt for goal and 1 pt for assist, Goalie, 2 pts for win, + 2 pts for SO

The Great One

The fault here lies with the Sutter hiring. It’s not 1988 anymore and players don’t appreciate this old school bs. Treliving made a bad choice and is now dealing with the fall out.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    The fault here lies with the Sutter hiring. It’s not 1988 anymore and players don’t appreciate this old school bs. Treliving made a bad choice and is now dealing with the fall out.
    Meh do we know that? A lot of players rave about playing for Sutter much like they do about Torts.

Nonetheless it really sucks for Flames fans. To go from up 1-0 on Edmonton to this is a real gut punch.

Dobber Sports Deity

So you are just that naive then. There is a big difference between playing hardball and having a very easy and viable path to walking your way to UFA status. The former is what both Brady and Matt did on their contract out of ELC, the latter is presumably what Matt has told Treliving he intends to do this time. Would love to hear what leverage, oh wise Axeman, you think the Flames have here, other than "he's an RFA". He's not an RFA with the Flames holding and controlling his rights for the next 2 to 4 years. He's an RFA with an easy path to UFA status in one single season, and walking for free. Tkachuk holds all the leverage, the Flames have none.
    Clearly I am not that wise if I am still going back and forth with you.

I am not saying Tkachuk doesn't have leverage but he doesn't have ALL the leverage as you state. By the team taking Tkachuk to arbitration, they actually took back some leverage. It allows them to try and work out a deal, or a trade, without the worry of Tkachuk signing an offer sheet. The Flames also dont have their hands tied by Tkachuk with a NMT/NTC when it comes to trade negotiations so that's a benefit for them as well. They are not limited to whatever teams Tkachuk wants to go to but instead can shop for the best deal.

No one likes to watch their star players walk for nothing but it happens every year and this could very well happen with Calgary here in a years time with Tkachuk. There's FAs available every year as we've seen that can replace Tkachuk next summer if that's the way it ends up. Hey, it's the game that both can play.

Here's a question I have. Does anyone actually know what Tkachuk is looking for here? Has he come out and said he wants out of Calgary? Is that his play here? Has he said he's trying to work a long term deal and just playing hardball on those negotiations with Calgary? What's his end game here??

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Even as an Oiler fan, I feel sympathy for Calgary here. No matter how you look at it, losing Gaudreau and now possibly Tkachuk is terrible. That said, speculating on NHL trades is one of the more enjoyable activities for me as an NHL fan.

I'd imagine that any team acquiring Tkachuk would want to negotiate an extension ahead of time. With that in mind, I wonder where Tkachuk would want to play?

Let's rule out all the Canadian teams.

After losing out on Gaudreau, New Jersey would love to have Tkachuk I'm sure, but I don't think he'd want to play there.

The Rangers are always in the mix, and I could see Tkachuk playing there.

Philly could use him, but I don't think they have the assets to get it done.

St. Louis seems fitting. St. Louis would probably never do it, but Kyrou would be a nice piece going to Calgary.

Anaheim has lots of assets, and I could see Tkachuk playing somewhere in California.

I can't see any other team having the assets, cap space, or desirable situation to extend Tkachuk.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

The Great One

Also, FWIW, I have a strong suspicion that Klingberg will sign in Calgary once Tkachuk is traded. Klingberg has many friends and fellow-countrymen in Calgary, and they could use a true power play dman like Klingberg.

Calgary has been linked to Klingberg for a bit now, but it didn't quite make sense to me given the animosity between Klingberg and Tkachuk. A Tkachuk trade would seal the deal, imo. This would also explain to me why Klingberg hasn't signed anywhere yet. Perhaps he already has a hand-shake deal in place, pending a Tkachuk trade.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Even as an Oiler fan, I feel sympathy for Calgary here. No matter how you look at it, losing Gaudreau and now possibly Tkachuk is terrible. That said, speculating on NHL trades is one of the more enjoyable activities for me as an NHL fan.

I'd imagine that any team acquiring Tkachuk would want to negotiate an extension ahead of time. With that in mind, I wonder where Tkachuk would want to play?

Let's rule out all the Canadian teams.

After losing out on Gaudreau, New Jersey would love to have Tkachuk I'm sure, but I don't think he'd want to play there.

The Rangers are always in the mix, and I could see Tkachuk playing there.

Philly could use him, but I don't think they have the assets to get it done.

St. Louis seems fitting. St. Louis would probably never do it, but Kyrou would be a nice piece going to Calgary.

Anaheim has lots of assets, and I could see Tkachuk playing somewhere in California.

I can't see any other team having the assets, cap space, or desirable situation to extend Tkachuk.
    As an Oilers fan, I dont feel bad for the Flames one bit because I can guarantee you, if the shoe was on the other foot, the Flames fans would be all over Oilers fans. Nope, no sympathy from me.

As far as the trade discussions go, I agree that he's looking south of the border, although I do have to wonder if he'd be interested in playing with his brother in Ottawa. They couldnt afford him now, but that's the only Canadian team I can see him considering. I fully expect the trade talks to flow around the Blues because of the connections he has there with his father and Robert Thomas. I wonder if Tarasenko could still be in play as an option. Last year of his contract but he does have a full NTC. If I remember correctly, I know he asked to be traded but has since recinded that request so I am not sure if that's an option.

I mean, he's still a restricted free agent. Sure you can't force him to sign a contract but they don't have to trade him either. Calgary still has the leverage and hold his rights.
    Clearly I am not that wise if I am still going back and forth with you.

I am not saying Tkachuk doesn't have leverage but he doesn't have ALL the leverage as you state. By the team taking Tkachuk to arbitration, they actually took back some leverage. It allows them to try and work out a deal, or a trade, without the worry of Tkachuk signing an offer sheet. The Flames also dont have their hands tied by Tkachuk with a NMT/NTC when it comes to trade negotiations so that's a benefit for them as well. They are not limited to whatever teams Tkachuk wants to go to but instead can shop for the best deal.

No one likes to watch their star players walk for nothing but it happens every year and this could very well happen with Calgary here in a years time with Tkachuk. There's FAs available every year as we've seen that can replace Tkachuk next summer if that's the way it ends up. Hey, it's the game that both can play.

Here's a question I have. Does anyone actually know what Tkachuk is looking for here? Has he come out and said he wants out of Calgary? Is that his play here? Has he said he's trying to work a long term deal and just playing hardball on those negotiations with Calgary? What's his end game here??
    So all you can come up with as their options is to trade him, after originally stating they own his rights and don't have to trade him. Got it.

Dobber Sports Deity

You dont "got it" because I stated that they dont have to trade him and they let him walk next summer. Read the whole post. Calgary still holds his rights today for another season. Got that?

You dont "got it" because I stated that they dont have to trade him and they let him walk next summer. Read the whole post. Calgary still holds his rights today for another season. Got that?
    Ah right. That was so unintelligible and asinine I couldn't read it properly, didn't think someone would actually suggest that as an option. Agreed. They could let him walk for nothing next summer. That is a second (albeit moronic) option.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Ah right. That was so unintelligible and asinine I couldn't read it properly, didn't think someone would actually suggest that as an option. Agreed. They could let him walk for nothing next summer. That is a second (albeit moronic) option.
    Yet, they just did it with Gaudreau? I know its not the exact same situation... but it is an option.

Any idea why no one wants to play in Calgary?

Darryl too hard to play for?
    The rink is that bad?
    The fan base sucks?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Yet, they just did it with Gaudreau? I know its not the exact same situation... but it is an option.

Any idea why no one wants to play in Calgary?

Darryl too hard to play for?
    The rink is that bad?
    The fan base sucks?
    And they're being universally praised for it.