Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Matthew Tkachuk Trade?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Matthew Tkachuk Trade?

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    But the point is that there are ways around it pretty easily if they have an accountant that knows what they're doing
    No. There isn't. Not without breaking the law at least.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    No. There isn't. Not without breaking the law at least.
    RCA (Can deposit up to half your salary/yr into these), Charitable donations, incorporating, income splitting with a spouse, permanent life insurance, signing bonuses in a different state. All legal, all ways to reduce your taxable income. And that's just what I know, I'm sure these guys know other ways. But it's just extra steps and some guys don't want that, especially because the difference in taxes on a $10m salary from Florida to Ontario is like 18-20% (and that gap lowers once you get into the Jock Tax where it's prolly closer to 15% off the top of my head guess)

RCAs, are also only taxed when you withdraw from it, and it's the area you are living's taxes apply. So if you retire and move to Florida and withdraw from it, you'll be taxed on Florida's rules. This article says this accountant has helped numerous Canadiens and Leafs use the RCA route. It also says the CBA for the NBA disallows players from using this route as it gives the Raptors an "unfair opportunity since RCAs are not available in the States" interestingly enough.

There's ways. Just if your accountant knows them, or if you care to take the extra steps, and have your money not instantly accessible. Which...if you're 24yrs old, don't you want to use that $10m you signed for? I get that. But if you're John Tavares who made like $40m before signing with the Leafs (and like $40m in the first 3yrs of the deal), does it matter that you are only really getting paid $8m but only really touching $4m? Prolly not.

Hell owning an NHL franchise is sometimes used as a way around taxes. If you're rich and just paying your taxes like someone who makes $70k, you're going about it wrong.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    RCA (Can deposit up to half your salary/yr into these), Charitable donations, incorporating, income splitting with a spouse, permanent life insurance, signing bonuses in a different state. All legal, all ways to reduce your taxable income. And that's just what I know, I'm sure these guys know other ways. But it's just extra steps and some guys don't want that, especially because the difference in taxes on a $10m salary from Florida to Ontario is like 18-20% (and that gap lowers once you get into the Jock Tax where it's prolly closer to 15% off the top of my head guess)

RCAs, are also only taxed when you withdraw from it, and it's the area you are living's taxes apply. So if you retire and move to Florida and withdraw from it, you'll be taxed on Florida's rules. This article says this accountant has helped numerous Canadiens and Leafs use the RCA route. It also says the CBA for the NBA disallows players from using this route as it gives the Raptors an "unfair opportunity since RCAs are not available in the States" interestingly enough.

There's ways. Just if your accountant knows them, or if you care to take the extra steps, and have your money not instantly accessible. Which...if you're 24yrs old, don't you want to use that $10m you signed for? I get that. But if you're John Tavares who made like $40m before signing with the Leafs (and like $40m in the first 3yrs of the deal), does it matter that you are only really getting paid $8m but only really touching $4m? Prolly not.

Hell owning an NHL franchise is sometimes used as a way around taxes. If you're rich and just paying your taxes like someone who makes $70k, you're going about it wrong.
    On the taxes thing, just will say that 2014OG is very correct, there are tons of ways rich people can hide their money to pay pretty low tax rates.

- - - Updated - - -

Based on their opening press conferences, I'll be very surprised if Weegar doesn't sign. Could even see it before the season starts. Huberdeau is obviously a lot more uncertain.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Scrolling twitter and saw a tweet about how the Panthers went from President Trophy winning contenders to blowing it in a 5 month span..... the following is what it cost them.

Huberdeau
    Weeger
    3 - 1st round picks
    1 - 3rd round pick
    1 - 4th round pick
    2 prospects

For

Tkachuk
    2 months of Giroux
    2 months of Chiarot

Zito won't be winning GM of the year anytime soon with moves like that.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    Scrolling twitter and saw a tweet about how the Panthers went from President Trophy winning contenders to blowing it in a 5 month span..... the following is what it cost them.

Huberdeau
    Weeger
    3 - 1st round picks
    1 - 3rd round pick
    1 - 4th round pick
    2 prospects

For

Tkachuk
    2 months of Giroux
    2 months of Chiarot

Zito won't be winning GM of the year anytime soon with moves like that.
    yikes that's awful.

Dobber Sports Star

colorado gave up alot to win their cup. looks dumb when you dont win, doesnt mean they were wrong to go for it. just means you have less avenues to push your chips in the middle again for subsequent seasons. they could probably recoup some first rounders if they decide to re-tool a bit and shed players like bennett or reinhart
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.