Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [TRADE] Max Pacioretty and Dylan Coghlan to Carolina for Future Considerations

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: [TRADE] Max Pacioretty and Dylan Coghlan to Carolina for Future Considerations

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Canes/sta...GozAILKWg&s=08

Hurricanes Twitter wins free agency again.
    So true. Would've repped you for this, but couldn't.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: [TRADE] Max Pacioretty and Dylan Coghlan to Carolina for Future Considerations

Funny to see how a lot of people were impressed by the VGK aggressive strategy for a expansion team to fastrack and build a contender. Not that they didn't deserve a clap for that, but it was written on the wall that they were going to payback sooner than later. They built a immediate contender at the price of going down very fast now. Also, I was wondering if their early success may have put them in a mindset where "any move we're gonna do is very good". Maybe a lack of challenging options inside the organisation. This lead to acquiring Eichel, who is for now a bad move going worst with the direction they are moving now.

Dobber Sports Titan

The owner of the VGK shelled out hundreds of millions to get a team there, he wants to be able to celebrate a Stanley Cup for the amount he's spent on the team. I get it. However, at a certain point they need to dial it back and just run the team and not over manage.

They have no picks, cap or prospects to retool anymore and now they need to find diamonds in the rough, and they disrespected players for yrs and I don't know how many will go to Vegas at a discount now. If you settle down the movement, and target depth guys who you can market the idea of "if you come on a 1yr deal we can boost your value and you can get a bigger payday next yr" they can keep being a highly competitive team. If you aren't a haven for players....You're gonna lean HEAVY on your scouting team and your top guys in Eichel and Stone.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Veteran

If his mentality is "I have cash, I'll just buy a cup" I hope he never wins one. I've despised this franchise and the way they've run it from the start.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    If his mentality is "I have cash, I'll just buy a cup" I hope he never wins one. I've despised this franchise and the way they've run it from the start.
    It's not him wanting to buy a cup. It's him wanting to reap the rewards of his investment. You can't buy a Stanley Cup in the NHL.

It's like someone spending all their money before they die instead of leaving it for a family member. It's selfish but I get it. Enjoy the thing you worked hard to get.

Dobber Sports Superstar

It will be interesting to compare Vegas' win now vs. Seattle's "suck now win later" approach in the coming years.
    Vegas did very well in the expansion draft, took advantage of some teams and some rules and built a winner early. Vegas had remarkable success for any expansion team.
    Seattle went the exact opposite and is committed to being bad and building slowly thru the entry draft. Not sure if teams got smarter about expansion, or Seattle knew it had more years to burn with a firmer fan base.

In any event Seattle has a strong base and Vegas is floundering, could see Seattle pass Vegas in the near future. Also since they are same division plenty of comparisons to be made.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Grand Master

The funny thing is that Seattle did a horrible job with the expansion draft, and I think that's still going to haunt them for a while.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Star

I can certainly understand not picking Price since hes on the back-side of 30 with some injuries...

but they couldve had Tarasenko for free with only 2-years left on his deal.

seattle definitely fumbled their asset optimization/accumulation opportunity which is disappointing. im ok with it though, my canucks have a better shot long-term this way lol
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Administrator

This was the expansion draft I did following theirs. I factored in some of their picks with my more aggressive drafting.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    It's not him wanting to buy a cup. It's him wanting to reap the rewards of his investment. You can't buy a Stanley Cup in the NHL.

It's like someone spending all their money before they die instead of leaving it for a family member. It's selfish but I get it. Enjoy the thing you worked hard to get.
    I love having Vegas in the league. The Golden Misfits thing was fun. But now the ruthless pursuit of upgrades at all costs and expendability thing has made them an easy villain. Every story needs a good villain. It was fun to see them fall flat and miss the playoffs even after all the spending and star grabbing. I hope they get back in this year to crank the hate to another level.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Star

Think of it from Bill Foley's perspective. He buys the team, ostensibly with no short-term expectations. In your first year you amazingly get tantalizingly close to the Cup. Would your attitude then be to back it off and go to the honorable "build it slowly" approach common to expansion teams? If it were me, with tons of money and (at the time) cap room for days, I'd have tried to fill that with stars to get me to the brass ring.

Hindsight tells us now that it didn't work. But if that was the mindset, I can't blame him for that. The alternative leads to a bunch of fans complaining that the G-Knights got so close and then didn't do anything to win.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    Think of it from Bill Foley's perspective. He buys the team, ostensibly with no short-term expectations. In your first year you amazingly get tantalizingly close to the Cup. Would your attitude then be to back it off and go to the honorable "build it slowly" approach common to expansion teams? If it were me, with tons of money and (at the time) cap room for days, I'd have tried to fill that with stars to get me to the brass ring.

Hindsight tells us now that it didn't work. But if that was the mindset, I can't blame him for that. The alternative leads to a bunch of fans complaining that the G-Knights got so close and then didn't do anything to win.
    He said to the public before the season he was winning a cup within 5yrs. He wanted to win before Vegas tasted success

Dobber Sports Star

He said to the public before the season he was winning a cup within 5yrs. He wanted to win before Vegas tasted success
    If he said that, then please disregard my entire post, which is wholly invalidated. Boom.

Dobber Sports Master

So he gambled big and it didn't pay off so now he's dealing with the fall-ou? How very on brand for Las Vegas....
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Demi-God

BUMP.
    (I was expecting to find myself having a post mocking VGK on giving MaxPac away... amazing how this worked out. Looks like Vegas kept the right guys.)