Thread: Creating a salary cap dynasty league- how much over the NHL cap?

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Creating a salary cap dynasty league- how much over the NHL cap?

Hey there.

Thinking about creating a 12-team salary cap league using NHL cap hits. How much over the actual NHL salary cap does your league operate at? If you could include your number of teams and starting lineup spots that would be great. Thanks for any info.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Creating a salary cap dynasty league- how much over the NHL cap?

Hi

We have a 13 team salary cap league using cap hits. There are 22 slots to be filled by 10 F, 5D, 1G and 6 reserves. We use the actual salary cap so this year it will be $82.5M.

Hope it works out.

Dobber Sports Wizard

We operate at the NHL cap, rounding up to the nearest million. 16 teams, 9 forwards, 4 defensemen and 2 goalies start each week.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Sage

Vincent, Stu- what type of players do you have as free agents? I am guessing guys like JToews, Seguin, Skinner and other high-priced veterans are free agents.
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Wizard

Yes, Toews, Sequin and Skinner are all available, as are Benn, Voracek, Burns, etc. the overpriced guys who don't produce up to their contract.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

The Great One

I'm in a 16 team league that can have up to 20 players per team (15 active roster, up to 5 bench). The salary cap is set at 110% of NHL cap.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I'm in a 16 team league that can have up to 20 players per team (15 active roster, up to 5 bench). The salary cap is set at 110% of NHL cap.
    What is your daily lineup? I was thinking 12 forwards, 6 D, 1 G. I am looking to replicate the NHL team constraints as closely as possible.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    What is your daily lineup? I was thinking 12 forwards, 6 D, 1 G. I am looking to replicate the NHL team constraints as closely as possible.
    I didn't include the daily line up because it's it's not at all typical. There are ranges from RW, LW, C, D and G as opposed to your standard line up such as you propose.

The most interesting decision to me for a 12 team league is start 1G or 2G. With 12F, 6D and 1G - where you intending on having a bench? Or if so, does that bench count against the cap, or just the starting line up?

Dobber Sports Master

12 teams , 26 man roster that counts towards cap + minors section that doesnt .

107.250 mil sal cap

I'm new to this league and havent examined everyones roster quite yet but there are some players that should be owned and the usual suspects on the free agent wire . My team is 10 mil over the cap but I have until season start to work on it .

Dobber Sports Ace

I’ve played in leagues that I’d say are on both sides of the spectrum. Most resembled the 4-8-6-2 set up but some were deep 20-24 team leagues and some were 12 team leagues. Most 12 team leagues utilize some type of floating cap overage (some were a percentage like 30-40% above cap and some were round numbers like 25m above cap). In a 12 team league you’re going to have to use a large overage otherwise you’ll have way too many guys on the wire.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    Yes, Toews, Sequin and Skinner are all available, as are Benn, Voracek, Burns, etc. the overpriced guys who don't produce up to their contract.
    Same here. Karlsson another that is impossible to roster. There are more than enough $4-7M forwards to go around. Finding good D at reasonable prices is tough.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by roenick27 View Post
    I’ve played in leagues that I’d say are on both sides of the spectrum. Most resembled the 4-8-6-2 set up but some were deep 20-24 team leagues and some were 12 team leagues. Most 12 team leagues utilize some type of floating cap overage (some were a percentage like 30-40% above cap and some were round numbers like 25m above cap). In a 12 team league you’re going to have to use a large overage otherwise you’ll have way too many guys on the wire.
    This is really what I'm getting at. Without running any kind of numbers, I would think a 12-team league with the actual NHL cap would result in too many valuable players on the waiver wire. I'm fine with overpriced players like Toews, Karlsson, and Seguin sitting on the waiver wire but I don't want the salary cap to result in the league placing too high of a value on players with a low cap hit. I'm looking for that sweet spot- maybe 10 M over the cap which is roughly 12%.