Thread: Sell Blackwood before NJ lands a UFA?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Sell Blackwood before NJ lands a UFA?

I have a GM in my league who has been after Blackwood lately. Normally, I wouldn't consider trading him but I just traded for Grubauer to fill out my G position a bit more and, more importantly, I keep hearing how NJ wants to sort out their starter position. Sounds like they're making a big push for Campbell, Husso etc. and don't have faith in Blackwood going forward.

I'm still not deep at G, but if this interested GM offers something worthwhile (I'm unsure at this point what an offer would be), should I move on from Blackwood before his value likely goes down, or should I stay the course?

Thanks!
    12 team dynasty, H2H points, no cap, no max games
    12F (4 slots per pos), 6D, 2G, 32 players + 21 minor slots, minors eligibility <80 GP
    G: 4 / A: 2 / / Blk, Hit, SOG: 0.5 / Goalie W: 3 / Shutout: 1 / STP: 1 / SV% >.92: 1 / SV: 0.25

C: Eichel, Trochek, Barzal, Suzuki,
    W: Draisaitl, Ehlers, Dubois, Buchnevich, Necas, Debrusk, McCann, Jarvis
    D: Hughes, Morissey, Chychrun, Bouchard, Pionk, Parayko, McNabb
    G: Ullmark, Hart, Grubauer, Korpisalo

Prospects:
    Knies, Reichel, Kemell, Robertson
    Sandstrom

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Sell Blackwood before NJ lands a UFA?

I definitely would not sell low and based on context- you would be selling low. Sure, if you can get something you really like then it makes sense but I don't like to sell low especially with goalies. And I do have Blackwood and have followed him pretty closely over the last couple seasons.

What happens if Blackwood gets traded to Toronto or some other team with solid defense and his value increases? Or NJ signs Husso and Blackwood outplays him and regains his form of a couple seasons ago? You'd be kicking yourself then. I'd rather take the chance with keeping him even if it means his situation could worsen. The relatively small asset you would get for him now is not worth the risk considering his upside. Goalies are just too valuable and weird.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I think if Grubauer and Blackwood are your starting combo then you definitely should look at getting someone better even if it means packaging both those guys for a upgrade.

The Great One

Blackwood appears to be your 4th goalie in a start 2, so I wouldn't hesitate to at least hear what the offers are...

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Personally, I have very little faith in Blackwood moving forward. But I don't think I ever saw the potential that others did.

He's still only 25, so anything can happen (very rare for any goalie to have a positive impact on an NHL team before 25-27 years of age). If you believe he has potential, then this would definitely be "selling low", which is never great. But I don't see it, never really did, and I would move on.
    12 Teams, 23 Players (max 3 goalies), H2H, Keep 15 (max 2 goalies)
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 2F, 1U, 4D, 2G, 8 Bench, 2 IR+
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, HIT, BLK, W, SV, SV%, SHO

Keepers:
    C - Matthews, Eichel, Hughes (LW), Pettersson
    LW - Kaprizov, Svechnikov (RW), Guentzel, Fiala, Keller (RW)
    RW - Marner, Meier (LW), Laine(C/LW), Jarvis (C)
    D - Dahlin​, Sergachev, Theodore, Klingberg, Werenski, Peeke, Cernak
    G - Shesterkin, Sorokin, Merzlikins
    IR - Pacioretty, Ristolainen

2023 Draft Picks: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

**2021/22 League Champion**

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Smurf54 View Post
    Personally, I have very little faith in Blackwood moving forward. But I don't think I ever saw the potential that others did.
    After his first 2 seasons, I thought he was easily going to be a top half of the league starter if not better. He had a .915 save percentage over his first 70 starts on some pretty poor defensive teams. But he has been awful his last two seasons. I watch the extended highlights of just about every NJ game on Youtube and I think those give you a great idea as to how well a goalie is playing. You see every goal they allow and all their big saves. Blackwood has given up way too many soft goals and has been very inconsistent over the last 2 years. He'll have stellar stretches or a great start to a game and then end up giving up 3 goals in the 3rd period and lose 4-2. Injuries and Covid have definitely played a role but he seems to have lost confidence as well. Maybe it's as simple as the league learned the book on him after his first 2 seasons. But if he can get back to his form when he entered the league, he can still be a good starter. And he's still only 25. But we all know goalies are weird and the NHL has a long list of flash in the pan goalies who faded away into oblivion.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Superstar

"But we all know goalies are weird and the NHL has a long list of flash in the pan goalies who faded away into oblivion." Oh ya. On the other side of the coin, we see goalies struggle for a few years seemingly playing themselves out of the league only to get themselves sorted out and deliver a few good years. Totally flaky and unpredictable. Anything can happen with Blackwood, who knows. You do have other goalies and if the offer is decent, I'd move Blackwood. The key word here is "decent". You don't need to move him so if you do, get yourself a return that will help you.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks everyone for e the replies! I won't move him unless this I get a nice offer. Most recent was his Horvat, Drouin and McCan for Barzal, Blackwood and Kubalik and I passed.
    12F (4 slots per pos), 6D, 2G, 32 players + 21 minor slots, minors eligibility <80 GP
    G: 4 / A: 2 / / Blk, Hit, SOG: 0.5 / Goalie W: 3 / Shutout: 1 / STP: 1 / SV% >.92: 1 / SV: 0.25

Prospects:
    Sandstrom

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I would also move him if the offer is decent. I have less faith in Blackwood than many, and if you get a skater with similar upside, he's more likely to be valuable.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I would also move him if the offer is decent. I have less faith in Blackwood than many, and if you get a skater with similar upside, he's more likely to be valuable.
    Any examples of what you think a decent 1 for 1 deal would be in your books?

Prospects:
    Sandstrom

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by snaxwell View Post
    I'd try to swap him for another player in need of a bounce-back season (hopefully someone you are more certain will be valuable moving forward). One example, staying in NJ, would be Dougie Hamilton. He would be an absolute steal if you could pull it off. But there are lots of other candidates, including Chychrun, Couturier, Konecny, Boeser, Petry, Gallagher, Barrie, Lafreniere, Kakko, Dach, etc. You never know which GM is losing patience with someone, and who may also see potential in Blackwood. So I'd shop around and see what's possible, if anything.

Last year I made a similar style of deal and swapped Hart out for Laine. And so far, I'm happy I did.
    12 Teams, 23 Players (max 3 goalies), H2H, Keep 15 (max 2 goalies)
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 2F, 1U, 4D, 2G, 8 Bench, 2 IR+
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, HIT, BLK, W, SV, SV%, SHO

Keepers:
    C - Matthews, Eichel, Hughes (LW), Pettersson
    LW - Kaprizov, Svechnikov (RW), Guentzel, Fiala, Keller (RW)
    RW - Marner, Meier (LW), Laine(C/LW), Jarvis (C)
    D - Dahlin​, Sergachev, Theodore, Klingberg, Werenski, Peeke, Cernak
    G - Shesterkin, Sorokin, Merzlikins
    IR - Pacioretty, Ristolainen

2023 Draft Picks: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

**2021/22 League Champion**

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by snaxwell View Post
    That's a tough thing to answer, as I'm only in one points only league, the one in my sig, and Blackwood is on the wire there and has literally no value. Actually, reading further I realize it's not just points, but you list the points. It is however mostly points.

I'd want a forward in return as your defense looks good. I'd aim for any of the forwards Smurf54 listed or someone in that range. You might try for an Evander Kane or Tom Wilson type as well who has a bit of sneakier value.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.