Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2022-23 Season

Dobber Sports Titan

Default 2022-23 Season

I know the basketball section is very limited, but the offseason in hockey has started so I figured I fill some time with this.

Some offseason notes:
    - Kyrie Irving saga. This seems to change on the hour, but the way I've understood the situation is, the Nets want to keep Durant. If Irving does end up leaving, they think they'll lose Durant pretty quick after that. So they don't want to just give Irving away because once he's playing, he's still a possible all-star. So they gave him permission to talk to others about a sign-and-trade if he didn't want to accept his player option (would be a 5yr deal) and no one really wanted Irving for 5yrs. So he opted in, and now there seems to be more chatter about acquiring him on the 1yr deal. But the Nets are fine-ish using him for 1yr.

- Knicks. They are a weird franchise. They spent all their 2022 draft capital on clearing Kemba's contract, then spent more capital on clearing more cap to offer Brunson a 110/4yr deal. Which is just weird. Doing a ton of work and throwing 1st's from this yr away to sign a guy who makes starter money in a position where you have Fornier already and would need to move him. Knicks being Knicks

- Toronto. Koloko pick was nice at 33 because it was thought this guy could be a 1st rounder. And the Raptors had him in the 20-25 range and got him at 33. Could be an absolute steal or bust which is fine for a 2nd round pick. Guy fits what Toronto needs, is a smart player (Could have gone to Harvard), and someone they've followed for 5yrs.

- John Wall. Finally gets his buyout he needs. Goes to a team that is fine paying guys to play 50% of the season. But really, if he can be healthy he'll fit well around Kawhi and George if he's ok being a 3rd option, which he's never been. Could be tough mentally for him.

- Westbrook. He opts in to his $47m player option...Duh. But this is his last yr on his deal before he hits FA. Guy needs to show he can shoot, but to me he won't be given the opportunity to do what he does and carry a team with his speed. But he doesn't have the same speed, hops, and shooting to do it. Plus teams are smarter now and know how to defend a 1 man army, and there isn't enough shooting around him to make double/triple teams pay. Sorry Westbrook, but you're NBA starting career has come to an end.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: 2022-23 Season

A new report is the Nets GM is working with Durant and his agency to find a trade partner, and Durant has requested a trade out of Brooklyn

Phoenix and Miami are his preferred destinations. I personally would love him in Toronto or Portland just for Dame to have someone.

Dobber Sports Star

Man, it must be hard to be a Nets fan. Forever 2nd banana to the Knicks and when you do have something, it falls apart so quickly. What a mess.

Dobber Sports Genius

It’s all Kyrie’s fault. I don’t blame Durant for wanting to leave that mess. Durant knows what it will take to win and any team that is led by Irving won’t go anywhere. I will be surprised if Irving plays half a season and/or stays in Brooklyn.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    It’s all Kyrie’s fault. I don’t blame Durant for wanting to leave that mess. Durant knows what it will take to win and any team that is led by Irving won’t go anywhere. I will be surprised if Irving plays half a season and/or stays in Brooklyn.
    Durant forced the Nets to trade more to GSW for himself in a sign-and-trade because of his ego (I Can't be traded for that), told the league he was only going to a team if they signed Kyrie, then forced them to trade all their picks for Harden. He pulled a LebronGM without the follow through and championships.

This is on durant

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Durant forced the Nets to trade more to GSW for himself in a sign-and-trade because of his ego (I Can't be traded for that), told the league he was only going to a team if they signed Kyrie, then forced them to trade all their picks for Harden. He pulled a LebronGM without the follow through and championships.

This is on durant
    At the time of all that happening of course if you have a shot at getting both Durant and Irving you go out and do it. Did they over pay, now looking back yes, but when you have a chance to get a superstar(s) you just do it. Problem was injuries, Irving wanting to co-coach, undermining Nash. Holding practices after Nash just did. Also the whole vaccination thing plus him disappearing for no good reason.

I think Durant and Harden found out that you can’t win with a brat on your team. Not that I’m defending Harden. But yes Durant was involved arranging the team but once it was formed Irving did everything he could to sabotage chemistry. So now Durant knows Irving is done after this year, he’s not staying. Durant should have stayed in GS.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Genius

Kyrie to Lakers rumours really heating up. Nets would get back … umm … hmm Russell Westbrook. A 3 baller might be going with Irving to LA as well, either Harris or Curry. Who the hell is going to shoot the 3 in Brooklyn if that deal actually happens? Nets are not going to be good.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Titan

Durant to Toronto odds on Saturday +4000/+3500 (depending where)
    Durant to Toronto odds on Sunday +250 at the end of the day.

Toronto can offer the best package while still holding onto talent where Durant wouldn't be required to be the guy putting up 35pts+ every night. It's really if Masai wants to pull the trigger. OG, GTJ, Plus the 1st that are needed would be likely the offer Toronto has tabled, as including Barnes, Siakam, or FVV is a no go. You can still employ that 6'9" all around model Toronto wants, and Durant can still get his potential to win a championship.

Plus, I got a cheap OG jersey this summer, so it makes sense he'd be the one being moved.

Dobber Sports Genius

I don’t think that’s enough salary going back. It would have to be one of FVV or Pascal in order for it to work, plus KD isn’t playing in a cold place for the rest of his days. Just a wild guess because I’d love to see him here.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Titan

GTJ - 17.5m
    OG - 17.3m
    Total = 34.8m

KD = 44.1m

Toronto would have to add in a salary balancer (Khem Birch - 6.667m) and it would be legal. Even Malachi Flynn (2.145m) would balance it. They'd be over the Cap and into the tax threshold, but they already are so that wouldn't be a real reason why to not do the trade.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    GTJ - 17.5m
    OG - 17.3m
    Total = 34.8m

KD = 44.1m

Toronto would have to add in a salary balancer (Khem Birch - 6.667m) and it would be legal. Even Malachi Flynn (2.145m) would balance it. They'd be over the Cap and into the tax threshold, but they already are so that wouldn't be a real reason why to not do the trade.
    As a Raps fan I love that but I’m thinking Barnes in that deal if I’m the Nets. But let’s hope they keep to their history and are satisfied with the above. Now if we could only change the weather.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    As a Raps fan I love that but I’m thinking Barnes in that deal if I’m the Nets. But let’s hope they keep to their history and are satisfied with the above. Now if we could only change the weather.
    Ya with no rush for any side here, it's just a game of chicken at this point. Nets will ask the Suns for Booker, Miami for Butler/Herro, Raptors Barnes/OG/Siakam. The teams will offer something else. I trust the Raptors to not include Barnes and are fine passing on the deal.

The bonus for Toronto is they hold the best offer vs the other teams while also fielding a team that's competitive without Durant. But that doesn't matter to the Nets and Durant can't really do a whole lot without a NTC (doesn't have one). He can say he won't play like Simmons did, but he doesn't have that history and I doubt he would.

Dobber Sports Titan

Celtics, Denver, Milwaukee, and I think Cleveland can make a run.

I'm honestly pushing for Denver, I love Jokic.

Dobber Sports Immortal

When was the last time Sacramento was this good?

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    When was the last time Sacramento was this good?
    Last time they were in the playoffs was 2005-06 season finishing 8th with a 44-38 record. Last time they were "good" was 2004-05 when they finished 6th with a 50-32 record. Last time they made it out of the 1st round was 2003-04.

This is 17 seasons since they made the playoffs. 12 head coaches.