Thread: Askarov or Wallsteadt

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Askarov or Wallsteadt

Who's the better long term play here? Who will be more reliable? What would a real timeline look like for each player?
    14 team head to head, 7 keepers
    G, A, PPP, HITS, PIM, +/-, GWG, W, L, SO, SV%
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2 Utility, 2G, 4 bench, 1IR+
    F - Matthews, Marner, McDavid, Debrincat, Thomas, Jeannot, Vilardi, Zegras, Guentzel, Zibanejad
    D - Dahlin, Bouchard, Lauzon, Durzi,. Chychrun
    G - Samsonov, Gustavsson, Askarov

16 team head to head, 15 keepers
    G, A, PPP, SOG, Hit, Block, W, GAA, SV, SV%
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 1F, 4D, 1 Utility, 2G
    F - McDavid, Tavares, Kucherov, Meier, Duchene, Foerster P. Kane, Pastrnak, R. Smith, Forsberg, Poitras, W. Johnston

D - Josi, Reilly, Faber, Matheson, Nemec,
    G - Vasilevskiy, Merzlikins, Vladar, Cossa

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Askarov or Wallsteadt

Askarov for me, if only because he's older and ostensibly closer. I'd estimate that higher-end goalies usually hit the NHL around age 23-24. Price got half a year in at 20. Shestyorkin and Sorokin at 25. Vasilevskiy's first full season around age 22. So somewhere around 23 or 24 sounds right to me.

Dobber Sports Deity

I prefer Askarov but I do think Wallstedt might have the better long term opportunity seeing as Minny's long term goalie situation is a tad foggy after Talbot. It was Kahkonen but clearly management saw fit to move him out. Nashville looks like they are set well long term with Saros but by the time either Askarov or Wallstedt get to the league (2-3 yrs out if I had to guess) who knows what will happen with either teams situation.

I'd be happy to own either and simply be patient, which is something most fantasy GM's tend to struggle with.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports All-Star

I think that both could hit the league with differing circumstances. Askarov will be learning the ropes behind Saros for quite some time. Whereas I can see Wally come up, be a back up for a year or so then take the reins early in his career. One is blocked and for the other (Wally) it is only a matter of time. It’s not easy (Knight for example) to be a young starter in this league but I could see Minny turn to Wally within 2 years. Can’t go wrong with either though.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Stud

I'll take wallstedt quite easily. First, in terms of opportunity, it's not even close. Askarov has saros in front of him, wallstedt has two aging goalies, and I think that is by design so that they could break him in sooner than later. Second, askarov has struggled since being drafted, while wallstedt has shown that his draft year was actually his "down" year. He's been even better this year.

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

In terms of pure skill, I think the consensus is Askarov is the more skilled of the two, people have said he's the most skilled goalie in the past 20 years that's been drafted. That being said, goalies are voodoo and even more-so then skaters, a lot of the time you don't really know for sure what you got in a goalie til they hit their early 20's.

I like the situation Wall is going into better, no clear cut #1 ahead of him, by time he gets his feet wet and breaks into the league he has a clear cut path to that #1 spot. Askarov has to compete with Saros, could see him backing him up for a couple of years then a couple more years of timeshare. I also like the look of Minny's team in the future, for the next 3 years or so the buyouts of Parise/Suter are going to bend them over a barrel, but they got a lot of young talent on that team and by the time Wall is fantasy viable, Wild should have a very strong team in front of him.
    Askarov in Nsh, it's hard to say what they will look like in 3-4 years time...if Duchene and Johansen are still there, that doesn't look good, Josi will be older and less effective, Forsberg might be gone this off-season. They will really need to hope that the young guys like Tolvanen, Tomasino can become good top six players, if not true 1st liners.

If I had to pick one right now, I would take Wall just by a hair over Askarov, though I'd be happy with either.
    12 Team Dynasty League. $4 increase per player a year FP/ reduced salary for 3 years, Keep 8-12 (League Champion 14/15, 16/17, 19/20, 22/23)

Categories - D-G, G, A, PPP, SHP, SoG, Hits/Blocks, FoW, FoW%, Give/Take, Wins, GAA, Save%, Saves.

C: Tavares $33, Eichel $16 (1st yr FP), Trocheck $18, Jenner $9 Beniers $2 (1st yr RC)

W: Ovechkin $18, Hintz $17, Pavelski $11, Zacha $10, Kaprizov $7, Johnston $2 (1st yr RC), Reichel $2 (1st yr RC), Bertuzzi $1, Tippet $1

D: Burns $20, Jones $17, Werenski $16 (2nd yr FP), Matheson $5, Spurgeon $1, OEL $1

G: Shesterkin $7, Sorokin $3 (2nd yr RC), Raanta $1

MLP Bench: Rossi, Nazar, Kovalenko, Nikishin, Morrow, Ivanov

Dobber Sports Initiate

Give me Wallsteadt all day everyday
    31 TEAMS keep all multi-cat (lot of them) dynasty
    Offensive stats : Goals, Assist , PPP, PPTOI, SOG...
    Defensive stats : PKTOI, BLKS, TakeAway, Giveaway...
    (basically best NHL player)

Dobber Sports Icon

Jesper Wallstedt by a fairly large margin.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'll take Askarov's talent over Wallsteadt's opportunity
    16 Team, H2H Dynasty Cap 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G, 3B, 10 Minor - Scoring G / A / P / PPP / SOG / Hit / Blk / TOISH - W / GAA / SV / SV%
    Forwards: Gaudreau, Barzal, Beniers, Raymond, Trocheck, Byfield, Quinn, Couturier, Chytil, Crouse, Farabee, Rasmussen, Podkolzin, Monahan, Killorn
    Defence: Sergachev, McAvoy, Sanderson, Hronek, McCabe, Broberg
    Goalie: Demko, Merzlikins, Schmid
    F Minors: McTavish, Eklund, Sillinger, Nazar, Kasper, Lekkerimaki, Ostlund
    D Minors: Edvinsson
    G Minors: Askarov, Cossa
    Picks: 2023 1.01, 1.14

The Great One

Some good info here on rules for young goaltenders...

https://dobberhockey.com/2022/02/14/...d-more-feb-14/
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch