Thread: Protect 14 out of 19 - Pool Expansion

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Protect 14 out of 19 - Pool Expansion

Our Salaried Keeper pool is expanding, so I have to figure out my 14 player protection list. I've already shortened my current roster down to 20 (not 19 - can't edit title) players, but would like to hear who you guys would protect. After the expansion team selects 2 players or 1 goalie from our team, we move into selecting our 16 Keepers.

The pool runs of the NHL salary cap, which will be 82.5M next season, and only our active players count towards the weekly cap so our benched players do not count towards the cap. This league isn't just about picking studs and plugging them in the line-up, we have to rely on cheap AAV players and/or ELC players who produce.

The last time our league did an expansion almost every GM protected 2 goalies, some protected 3 goalies. I'd expect the same this time around since goalies are sought after.

Here's my current list (Goalies count for 2 protection slots):

1. MacKinnon
    2. Kaprizov
    3. J.T Miller
    4. Eichel
    5. DeBrincat
    6. Caufield
    7. Batherson
    8. Hartman ($1.7M AAV for 60+ PTS, yes please )
    11. Theodore
    12. Drysdale
    13. Markstrom
    14. Markstrom

I'm undecided on the last two slots as there are still some unknowns/uncertainties:

E. Kane - He was fantastic during the playoff push and during the playoffs. But this may mean he'll get paid big bucks.
    Dach - Chicago is in absolute shambles. Talks of DeBrincat being trade and other pieces means Chicago will continue to be a Minus machine, which basically means I cannot play him.
    McTavish - It's hard to come by young talented Power Forwards. ANA is finally in a spot to let the young players play and learn as they go, so McTavish may very well be in a position to excel.
    Knight - Florida tried to trade Bob this season and apparently have begun shopping him and offering to retain 50% of his salary. This means they are going to give Knight every chance to prove he is their #1.
    Tolvanen - Like Hartman, his salary and term are what yields him consideration. I thought he could be a 50+ PT player, but he took a major step-back this season, but I think he could easily find his stride.
    B. Schenn - While he spent time dealing with a few injuries, when he was back he was delivering in multiple categories for me. The issue is his age and whether or not he can stay healthy.
    Chychrun - Amazing AAV and term, it all hinges on whether or not ARI finds him a new team.
    Norris - I think he's on my list, but left him off if there was a case for Knight to make up the last 2 spots. Also depends on what his contract will be like.
    Last edited by E63Wagon; June 20, 2022 at 1:42 PM. Reason: Added Norris
    SalaryKeeper ROTO-Add/Drops/Trades require IRL $
    12 Teams - 32 Player Roster -20 Active - Min 5D to Max 7D - Min 11F to Max 13F
    16 Keepers (G=2 Keeper spots)
    83.5M Weekly AAV - Bench does not count towards salary cap

F/D: G, A, PPA, PPG, +/-, Hits, BLKS, Shifts (0.5), TOI (0.5), PEN
    G: GAA, Saves, SPCT, TOI, Wins, SO, OTL (0.5)

Roster
    F: MacKinnon, JT Miller, Kaprizov,
    E.Kane, Caufield, Eichel, Batherson, Malkin, Dach
    Kempe, Greig, Tolvanen, Zary, P.Kane, Foegele, Dowd

D: Theodore, Chychrun, Drysdale, McAvoy, Matheson, Okhotiuk, M. Roy, Fehervary, Perbix, Martinez, M. Anderson

G: Thompson, Vanecek, UPL, Lyon, Binnington

Default Re: Protect 14 out of 19 - Pool Expansion

I may be a little off to what others would do , BUT, id keep Knight over Markstrom, i think Marky has had his year and although may do good the next year or so, i think Knight at his salary is better value, I think Chychrun is a must keep Maybe more valuable then Theo due to all the periphals , his problem is health .

In short, switch markstrom for Knight, add chychrun , the last one is tougher, im leaning towards Schenn as he also hits a lot of the cats at a decent salary, but dont mind a gamble on mctavish or Drysdale

best of luck
    12 team H2H Full Keeper w/ 20man prospects
    G,GWG,OG,ShG,A,PPP,SHP,HT,FOW,Hits,BLK,PIM,+/-,SOG | W,SHO,SV,OL,GA,ShL (2.5x for defensive points)

Dealers
    C- Couture, Karlsson, Mcdavid, Monohan, Pageau, Cirelli
    W- Draistl, Pacioretty, Rust, Duclair, Hornquist, Domi, Oshie
    D-Hamilton, Jones , Heiskenen, Spurgeon, OEL, Provorov, Klingberg
    G- Bobrovsky, Lehner, Hart
    Rossi, White, Zegras, Bunting, Kunin, Tracey, Wiesblatt, Coghlan, Holl, Johansson, Myers, Zub, Soucy, Spence, Thompson, Blomqvist, Dostal, Hofer, Ingram, Johannsson, Luukkonen, Sogaard, Tarasov

Quote Originally Posted by mjm44 View Post
    I may be a little off to what others would do , BUT, id keep Knight over Markstrom, i think Marky has had his year and although may do good the next year or so, i think Knight at his salary is better value, I think Chychrun is a must keep Maybe more valuable then Theo due to all the periphals , his problem is health .

In short, switch markstrom for Knight, add chychrun , the last one is tougher, im leaning towards Schenn as he also hits a lot of the cats at a decent salary, but dont mind a gamble on mctavish or Drysdale

best of luck
    Thanks for the response.

I think I understand where you're coming from, but I'm also trying to play chess while hoping the new GM is playing checkers. I'm hoping he isn't all that knowledgeable outside of big names. In the end, I'm hoping he doesn't select Knight so I could potentially keep both Markstrom and Knight for the next season. I think if I didn't protect Markstrom then the new GM would most certainly pick Markstrom from my team.

I think Chychrun being an absolute lock on my roster depends on whether or not he can find himself on a team that won't be a complete Minus machine. I hate the Plus / Minus category and the worst thing is being down in that category trying to minimize further minuses from your active bench.

Roster

D: Theodore, Chychrun, Drysdale, McAvoy, Matheson, Okhotiuk, M. Roy, Fehervary, Perbix, Martinez, M. Anderson

Dobber Sports Deity

You do realize you have Markstrom twice right?

#9 - Knight
    #10 - Norris

Keep Markstrom.

If that's a typo and you have a spot open for #14, put me down for BSchenn.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

1. MacKinnon
    2. Kaprizov
    3. J.T Miller
    4. Eichel
    5. DeBrincat
    6. Caufield
    7. Batherson
    8. Hartman
    9. Norris
    10. Chychrun
    11. Theodore
    12. Drysdale
    13. Markstrom
    14. Knight

These would be my picks.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    You do realize you have Markstrom twice right?

#9 - Knight
    #10 - Norris

Keep Markstrom.

If that's a typo and you have a spot open for #14, put me down for BSchenn.
    Goalies count for 2 slots.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    1. MacKinnon
    2. Kaprizov
    3. J.T Miller
    4. Eichel
    5. DeBrincat
    6. Caufield
    7. Batherson
    8. Hartman
    9. Norris
    10. Chychrun
    11. Theodore
    12. Drysdale
    13. Markstrom
    14. Knight

These would be my picks.
    Thanks, but goalies count for 2 slots.

Roster

Dobber Sports Deity

So if you keep Knight, does that count as two spots as well? If yes, then he's my last keeper.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    So if you keep Knight, does that count as two spots as well? If yes, then he's my last keeper.
    Yup, goalies count for two spots in protection and keeper list.

Thanks for the response

Dobber Sports Veteran

I wouldn't mess around with hoping the new GM is playing checkers and take the risk exposing Knight. Your list plus Knight should be your complete protection list. Let him comb through the rest of your brink guys and based off of who he chooses, it'll narrow your list for you when you go to select your last 2 keepers to get to 16.

Dobber Sports Novice

Gotta keep Knight in the final two slots. Regardless of what the Bob situation is for this up coming season his days are numbered in Florida then it will be the Knight show and he is going to be a special goalie.

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    I wouldn't mess around with hoping the new GM is playing checkers and take the risk exposing Knight. Your list plus Knight should be your complete protection list. Let him comb through the rest of your brink guys and based off of who he chooses, it'll narrow your list for you when you go to select your last 2 keepers to get to 16.
    Quote Originally Posted by All Hail Cale View Post
    Gotta keep Knight in the final two slots. Regardless of what the Bob situation is for this up coming season his days are numbered in Florida then it will be the Knight show and he is going to be a special goalie.
    Thanks guys. Knight seems to be the consensus.

Roster