Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Lawsuit Against Hockey Canada and Canadian Hockey League

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Lawsuit Against Hockey Canada and Canadian Hockey League

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    World Championships, and i’m assuming at least Batherson would have been on that list once Ottawa is eliminated. But yes largely ineffectual and mostly for optics.
    I'd assume Batherson, Kyrou, Thomas, Hart, Fabbro, Timmins, and Foote all had a shot at the roster depending who rejected the invite.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Frank Seravalli "I think we're nearing a conclusion and an announcement on the Hockey Canada 2018 World Junior investigation" He's then asked if teams are bracing for suspensions, his response is, "I think they are"

Dobber Sports Titan

From Rick Westhead:
    Several team execs, sponsors and player agents tell me they are bracing for the NHL's possible release of an investigation report re an alleged sexual assault involving as many as eight players on Canada's 2018 world juniors team. If NHL names and suspends players allegedly involved, affected players would likely appeal any sanctions to an arbitrator, as per CBA, and may pursue defamation lawsuits vs league, said agent of one player who attended 2018 Hockey Canada gala.

(While an investigating officer in October wrote in court documents he believes there are grounds to charge at least five players, police in London continue to decline comment other than to say an investigation is ongoing.)

Dobber Sports Icon

It's going to be real difficult for the NHL to hand out any kind of discipline to any player named in this report. The actions happened before they were in the NHL so unless they are actually criminally charged, I can't see the NHL actually doing anything.

Dobber Sports Titan

Some would have been under an NHL deal though. Like Formenton signed a deal Oct 2, 2017. He was paid a signing bonus. For me, that's an employee of the NHL.

Which I'm sure is where they might be tip-toeing.

Players on the team that were under contract in the summer of 2018:
    Formenton
    McCleod
    Hart
    Bean
    Howden
    Batherson
    Steenbergen (signed March 2018)
    Comtois (signed March 2018)
    Katchouk
    Dube
    Raddysh
    Steel
    Robert Thomas

I also don't truly remember the fallout of the following but players who were at the event, but not on the team were:
    Nick Suzuki, Ryan Martin, Aidan Hughes, Z. Gallant, Isaac Ratcliffe, Alex Turko, J.Murray, W. Lockhead, and Logan Couture.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I made a photo graphic of the players on pg.5/11 of this thread.

Attached is one I made with the team drafting/signing, date, their age of year of event.
    It'll be interesting to see who is on the list.

The tough one is going to be "guys in the room".
    I'm not sure how the powers-that-be come down on them... because a guy should've got his ass out of the room as soon as he arrived (assuming he didn't know what was IN the room from whatever invite texts were sent at some point of evening)...
    Maybe he stayed in shock...
    Maybe he stayed and... made it worse...
    IDK.
    (But I hope, for transparency, all those guys are singled out so that kids/young-men/athletes/anybody doesn't "join in" on this kind of thing. That precedent & penalty needs to be made strongly, I think).

Top Row [L-R], I believe are: Batherson, Bean, Comtois, Makar, Fabbro, Steel, C.Hart, C.Point, Foote, Thomas
    Bot Row [L-R], I believe are: Formenton, Dube, Katchouk, Steenbergen, Timmins, Gadjovich, Howden, Raddysh, McLeod
    Not in Attendance: K.Clague, Kyrou, Mete

2018-06-19 WJC Canada Photo2.jpg

Dobber Sports Demi-God

As a refresher, best article on the internet is available at theathletic - behind paywall - but I just skimmed full thing without an account:
    https://theathletic.com/3441414/2022...exual-assault/

Interestingly - the guy that many assume is "JohnDoe1" would be Alex Formenton (who didn't play in NHL last year or have contract).
    That said - the story goes that JohnDoe1 met the plaintiff at Jack's Bar.
    The story also says that a group of player's came from (the "backroom" of) Joe Kool's, with one getting "turned around at the door (for being underage)" of Jack's Bar - and headed back to Joe Kool's.
    There were two players on Canada's roster at the event that were only 18 (not legal 19) age on the night in question: Formenton & Robert Thomas.

So... all this said - it's possible that Formenton is NOT JohnDoe1.
    (It's also possible that he is... and that it was Robert Thomas that got turned back at the door. IDK.)

There are pictures on the internet of some of the WJC 2018 players AT Jack's that night:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comm...exual_assault/

Speculating on JohnDoe1 and the "players in room" isn't really fair...
    So consider the items I just listed as pure information of what's out there.

If the internet has THIS much information, the authorities likely have double or triple.

Key text from theathletic article:

It was at one of those bars, Jack’s, which calls itself “London’s premier party destination,” where a player and a young woman would connect. After leaving the bar, they would end up back in a room at the Hotel London Armouries, where she says eight players sexually assaulted her.

The gala concluded around 10 p.m. Many staff members retired early, exhausted from a long day. Some women’s hockey players went back to the hotel bar at the London Armouries to catch up over drinks. Some Hockey Canada and London Knights staff members and other gala attendees broke off to go to Joe Kool’s, a well-known hockey pub on Richmond Street where Knights team photos and NHL memorabilia cover the walls. Some members of the World Juniors team were there as well, gathered in a back room. One person at Joe Kool’s watched as several players in the back room became increasingly inebriated.

Several players left Joe Kool’s, walking down Richmond Street and arriving at Jack’s, a multi-level establishment with security out front, a patio and smoking pen out back and a throbbing mob of college students and young locals inside. Even in June — when many students are away and it’s the offseason for the CHL — Jack’s signature Dollar Beer Mondays draws a crowd.

That evening in 2018, the players that were let in — at least one was turned away for being too young to drink, according to multiple people who saw the player return to Joe Kool’s — would’ve immediately been met with a sweaty crush of bodies and the smell of sour beer and cheap lip gloss.

(after some info of age18 woman)

A different young woman, only two years older, arrived at Jack’s with a group of friends at approximately 11 p.m, according to a statement of claim filed in April 2022 in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice.

Shortly after arriving at the bar, she met a member of the World Juniors team who introduced her to a player identified in the lawsuit as John Doe 1. John Doe 1 and some of his teammates bought the plaintiff a number of alcoholic beverages.

According to the statement of claim, the plaintiff got separated from her friends and became increasingly intoxicated throughout the night, exhibiting telltale signs — glassy eyes, slurred speech, stumbling and loss of balance.

Sometime in the early morning, the woman left the bar with John Doe 1.

According to the young woman’s statement of claim, at some point in the early-morning hours, she and John Doe 1 “engaged in sex acts” in his hotel room. Then, John Doe 1 invited his teammates to the room without her knowledge or consent.

Dobber Sports Titan

It was also reported that the 5 players were CHL players (I don't know why it's 5, and sometimes 8 players though). Which is why guys like Makar, Colton Point, and Fabbro are "eliminated" from the internet investigations.

Also, Formenton and McCleod didn't make statements, Foote didn't make one but his agent released something, Comtois released a statement where he didn't say he didn't do it.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Is "five" players all that are (speculated to be) in trouble?
    The article mentions EIGHT!

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Is "five" players all that are (speculated to be) in trouble?
    The article mentions EIGHT!
    Ya I don't know why there's reports of 8 and reports of 5.
    Here's Top Shelf Hockey explaining the updates 6months ago where it talks about 5 players. Video starts at like 3:25 ish

--EDIT--
    Ok, so it's rumoured to be 8 players, but London Police think they have enough to charge 5.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Yeah - could be (5) WJC 2018 Canada players and (3) Random People (friends... in town?!?... maybe including "M.M" - mentioned in documents/video) = 8.

[I'm watching video... guy says Players had roommates. So likely JohnDoe's roommate was around.]

Dobber Sports Titan

Ya the MM guy was apparently an adult (like middle aged+) who worked for Hockey Canada and was telling the girl "to take care of the player" and even bought the female a drink (she was 18). The roommate though could have been one of the players in question that the internet has kinda circled.

Could be 5 players plus 3 "randoms" who had knowledge of it, but not exactly part of the act. Which could be why the London Police think they can only charge 5.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'm wondering now if roommates were assigned or selected/coordinated by players...

From TSN article:

E.M. told police that Player 1 “seemed sweet” when she first met him.

The documents recount E.M. telling police that after she had consensual sex with Player 1, he appeared to be on his cell phone texting. After a period of time, two of Player 1’s teammates entered the hotel room. E.M. said she was “initially comfortable for a little bit.” Then, after she went to the bathroom, she came out to find “approximately 7 or 8 guys in the [hotel] room with her.”

E.M. recognized some of them as being Player 1’s friends from Jack’s Bar. Player 1 was not initially in the hotel room when the guys were there, and she did not know where he went.

E.M. later learned that he had ordered himself food—chicken wings. As the evening progressed, E.M. observed Player 1 on the bed, eating them. E.M. described Player 1 as being “in the background” after [specific sex act(s)].”

E.M. told police that the player told her to lie on the ground and she complied.

“E.M. explicitly told the men she was not comfortable with lying on a dirty hotel floor, so they placed a bed sheet on the ground for her,” Younan wrote, adding that E.M. told a detective “the group was making fun of her and laughing at her expense.”

One of the players, Player 1’s roommate, entered the room and began engaging in a specific sex act “without saying a word,” Younan wrote. “The group of guys were talking around her and about her, but not with her. The group of guys were saying things like ‘you do this, and you do this.’”

Dobber Sports Titan

Nike has ended it's sponsorship with Hockey Canada. It was on a "Pause", but now it's officially ending the relationship.

It will continue to provide on-ice products for Hockey Canada athletes as part of their partnership with IIHF, but the individual sponsorship with Hockey Canada has ended.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Nike has ended it's sponsorship with Hockey Canada. It was on a "Pause", but now it's officially ending the relationship.

It will continue to provide on-ice products for Hockey Canada athletes as part of their partnership with IIHF, but the individual sponsorship with Hockey Canada has ended.

That's interesting - because I've read that a Nike-Canada employee was at Jack's Bar on the night of question "feeding shots" to Jane Doe.
    His speculated name can be found online and he hasn't been with Nike-Canada any longer since about spring of this year.

For all the shit that HockeyCanada has gotten... this one employee may have contributed an effin LOT to the unfolding of the events that evening.
    If so, he'd be a great candidate for the internet to follow around for the rest of his life.

I believe I read the words "take care of this guy" spoken/said/intenuated from the Nike Canada employee to JaneDoe regarding JohnDoe.
    Ugh.

[the brass at Nike-Canada has probably been trying to "time" this for a while now... and now realizes they'd better get out in front of the news before full disclosure comes out.]