Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Another mass shooting...

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Another mass shooting...

Quote Originally Posted by finnys_fanatsy View Post
    i am not an American, so i wont pretend to understand what needs to be done or what its like to live in your country with your rights to bear arms. but gun laws etc are just something to be worked around if someone really wants a firearm. just like underage booze, if you wanted it, you knew who to ask to get it (realize obviously the two are in totally different realms, just making a point).

what i am though is a parent, and this as well as the past shootings makes me angry and scared for kids these days. i dont know the answers, but somewhere along the way, parents failed these kids that are the shooters. you can blame society all you want, but WE let it get there. yes times have changes but when did it become OK to not notice something was happening in our childs lives to the point that they take a gun to school and start shooting.

Using your own analogy, there is a pretty big difference between finding someone to buy you a six pack and finding someone to buy you enough captain morgan to kill 19 people. Banning the sale of assault weapons has no downside.

Dobber Sports Master

I think its pretty clear that the 2nd amendment has to evolve. I mean it was written in 1791. It was most likely written with a friggin quill! Think about it. For the privileged folk, African Americans were possessions, not people back then. A lot has changed. Do Americans really believe guns will stop a tyrannical government in this day and age? Get a friggin grip. Your pea shooters arent doing anything against the govt. Its a really nonsensical argument. I've also heard some argue that the schools need to be secured. It doesnt take much ingenuity to just decide to attack a library instead. Well secure the libraries they say. What about the shopping malls, churches, gas stations, restaurants, bars, etc, etc.... If you envision the society that is the inevitable result of this thinking.... well its nowhere I want to live.

America isn't some sort of mental health anomaly in the world. Poor mental health policy is not the root cause. The root cause of a lot of people getting killed by guns is..... guns are easy to get. There is a lot of room between the gun laws there are today and the total ban of gun sales to the public. The answer is likely a step toward the latter. Even if you think its a mental health issue, cant you try and fix it in more than one way? Tighter regulation on guns as a way to stop people getting killed by guns seems like a no brainer.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    I’m not asking this sarcastically - how would that work? Like what would the nuts and bolts of this look like? Just to be clear, I’m genuine in asking this...I want to hear your ideas.
    Give everyone a grace period to turn their weapons in.. After that get caught with one and go to jail, no questions asked. Sport rifles would be allowed. Must be 25 to purchase.. Tax the crap out of ammunition to make them really really expensive.

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
    Give everyone a grace period to turn their weapons in.. After that get caught with one and go to jail, no questions asked. Sport rifles would be allowed. Must be 25 to purchase.. Tax the crap out of ammunition to make them really really expensive.
    Civil war triggered. I don't think that particular idea will fly. Sport rifles yes, 25 age to purchase yes, ammo tax is a good idea or limit the ammo you can buy. Background checks are a must have too, but turning in guns is a call to arms for most.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    Civil war triggered. I don't think that particular idea will fly. Sport rifles yes, 25 age to purchase yes, ammo tax is a good idea or limit the ammo you can buy. Background checks are a must have too, but turning in guns is a call to arms for most.
    We had to endure a Civil War to end slavery.

Maine Moose 2021-2022

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    Increasing odds USA is headed to a Civil War anyways.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    Using your own analogy, there is a pretty big difference between finding someone to buy you a six pack and finding someone to buy you enough captain morgan to kill 19 people. Banning the sale of assault weapons has no downside.
    Even if ban the sale of assault weapons, if people want to obtain them, they will be able to.

Al Capone was still able to get people alcohol when it was banned.

Businessmen will find a way a workaround to continue to make money and customers who desire them will continue to find a workaround.

For every Elon Musk that is creatively doing something new and unique to improve the world - there is someone at the opposite end of the spectrum that is creatively find a way to make money in some sort of illegal capacity.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post
    its pretty simple.
    I think parents should raise better kids. Invest in them, engage with them.
    I have no interest in going to shoot up a school.
    I think if you develop kids at an early age and teach them right, then these kinds of things become less and less.
    Today's society and the way kids are being raised or " lack of being raised" properly is a CONTRIBUTING Factor, not the full factor but certainly plays a part.

Go outside, play a sport, get a hobby. Put down the video games and put down social media. get a life. It really isnt hard to live as a human being and do the right things in life.
    This x1000.

Stop making Celebrities - whether it's actor/actresses, music artists, athletes etc the role models for your kids. Sure there are many great one's who provide great values, but how is a child suppose to distinguish which of those to follow and which of those to avoid admiring? I can't speak for other countries, but North American culture has glamorized guns through video games, music, tv/movies. When that's the content you're allowing your kids to consume on a daily basis, how can you be surprised by the end result? As a parent, don't allow your 10 year old child to play Call Of Duty. Don't allow them to watch Narcos, or the newest James Bond movie. Stop allowing that 8 year old to watch his pro streamer play endless hours of FPS's. "But Fortnite is a cartoon, so it's okay if they play it!" Sure, whatever keeps little Johnny out of your face for an hour or two, right?

The simplest response is the one that is something you SHOULD be doing regardless of societal issues - Raise your children.

The issue is, that takes time and effort, and isn't something you can fix with a retweet or a like to FEEL like you're doing something to start the change.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Even if ban the sale of assault weapons, if people want to obtain them, they will be able to.

Al Capone was still able to get people alcohol when it was banned.

Businessmen will find a way a workaround to continue to make money and customers who desire them will continue to find a workaround.

For every Elon Musk that is creatively doing something new and unique to improve the world - there is someone at the opposite end of the spectrum that is creatively find a way to make money in some sort of illegal capacity.
    Of course, but it will be harder to obtain.

Maine Moose 2021-2022

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    This x1000.

Stop making Celebrities - whether it's actor/actresses, music artists, athletes etc the role models for your kids. Sure there are many great one's who provide great values, but how is a child suppose to distinguish which of those to follow and which of those to avoid admiring? I can't speak for other countries, but North American culture has glamorized guns through video games, music, tv/movies. When that's the content you're allowing your kids to consume on a daily basis, how can you be surprised by the end result? As a parent, don't allow your 10 year old child to play Call Of Duty. Don't allow them to watch Narcos, or the newest James Bond movie. Stop allowing that 8 year old to watch his pro streamer play endless hours of FPS's. "But Fortnite is a cartoon, so it's okay if they play it!" Sure, whatever keeps little Johnny out of your face for an hour or two, right?

The simplest response is the one that is something you SHOULD be doing regardless of societal issues - Raise your children.

The issue is, that takes time and effort, and isn't something you can fix with a retweet or a like to FEEL like you're doing something to start the change.
    oh please.. every country has mass amounts of teenagers playing Call of Duty and Fortnite. They just have stricter gun laws..

Maine Moose 2021-2022

Dobber Sports Grand Master

People often say the "If you ban guns bad people will still get them" argument, and it makes no sense. From your viewpoint, why do we have any laws? If only bad people do bad stuff, and bad people will do bad stuff regardless of laws, why do we have any laws at all? Kid was an 18 yo who went out on his 18th birthday and bought two assault rifles and shot up the school he was bullied at. If it was significantly harder to get guns (licensing, background checks, waiting period, etc, etc, etc.) he simply cannot. Maybe he finds a different way to get guns. Maybe. Not sure if you've noticed but getting illegal things is hard. It's risky. You have to no someone who can get it for you.

Every country has violent TV shows.

Every country has violent video games.

Every country has violent music.

Every country has mental health problems.

Almost every country has sensible gun control laws.

One country doesn't have sensible gun control laws.

One country has more than 1 mass shooting per calendar day.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Has anyone ever driven over the speed limit? How easy is it to break that law.

Drinking and driving? I bet it happens a million times a day in the states.

Cocaine is it illegal to purchase? How many people illegally obtain drugs on a daily basis in the states?

Sure stricter gun laws will make it more difficult... but the mafia or those types of 'businesses' are still gonna find a way to get the illegal guns into people's hands that want them.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Sage

That's why I say you need to find a sweet spot.

too loose you get issues.
    Too controlling/restrictive you get organized crime takes over making it easier to get guns. They don't care about licensing, background checks, waiting period, etc, etc, etc.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Has anyone ever driven over the speed limit? How easy is it to break that law.

Drinking and driving? I bet it happens a million times a day in the states.

Cocaine is it illegal to purchase? How many people illegally obtain drugs on a daily basis in the states?

Sure stricter gun laws will make it more difficult... but the mafia or those types of 'businesses' are still gonna find a way to get the illegal guns into people's hands that want them.
    Great, so you agree that stricter gun laws will make it more difficult. Sounds like you agree with stricter gun laws!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    That's why I say you need to find a sweet spot.

too loose you get issues.
    Too controlling/restrictive you get organized crime takes over making it easier to get guns. They don't care about licensing, background checks, waiting period, etc, etc, etc.
    Is organized crime taking over other countries with much stricter gun laws?

- - - Updated - - -

This thread just proves that the USA is ****ed. Utterly ****ed.